Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ccv mod routed into exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Cut To Order
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ccv mod routed into exhaust pipe

I've read the ccv mod thread front to back, and i was really interested to hear about dumping it into the exaust. it just looks and seems cleaner. but on that thread, i believe that i saw that you need 4" exhaust to be able to do this. is that right, and whats the reasoning behind it?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:35 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Cut To Order
I've read the ccv mod thread front to back, and i was really interested to hear about dumping it into the exaust. it just looks and seems cleaner. but on that thread, i believe that i saw that you need 4" exhaust to be able to do this. is that right, and whats the reasoning behind it?
Don't know why u would need a 4" exhaust?? Should be able to route it into
any size exhaust.
Nut

Old 09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
You can use the stock exhaust with no problems. Important thing is the 45* cut on the probe and to make sure the probe is welded in at a 45* angle with the flow of gas. Somewhere on this site is a drawing showing it. Do a search for it and you should find it. I have mine right after it curves upward to go over the axle. I got a couple pictures in my gallery.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Cut To Order
New User
yea, i saw the drawing that i believe Kwik did of how to set it up to weld it. like i said, i was pretty sure i read somewhere that it only worked if you had a 4" or larger exhaust pipe. has anyone done it w/o a check valve? and how has it worked out? thanks for the responses.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:09 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldn't need a check valve, it will just add restriction to the gas flow, besides its just one more thing to break. The size of the exhaust won't matter, just the angle. Personally I have mine route to open air and don't see the need to put it thru the exhaust.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Cut To Order
New User
ive just read in other threads that the oil from the ccv mod when left open under the truck leaves oil residue everywhere. so it made sense that channeling it through the exhaust pipe would cut down on the oil deposit under the truck....which makes me wonder if it would just build up in the exaust pipe, there again cutting down on flow of the gases. its still a toss up to me, but i'm interested in peoples suggestions from personal knowledge/experience. thanks a lot to all.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
I've had mine venting right near the exhaust outlet for a year now with no problems. I see a very light puff of white smoke coming out in a steady stream.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
My CCV is tied into my exhaust, many that do explain that the little bit of oil that may reach your exhaust pipe will blow out and not accumulate. Me and a buddy of mine talked about this very same issue because he is on the fence with you. I figured that one of these days I will remove my flex pipe and check for accumulation.

I also had it tied into my MBRP exhaust for about 4 months before I got stacks. I had it welded in near the rear axel bend and there was no accumulation. Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Hot gasses flowing over any accumulation will make it evaporate right? Anyway I have been running mine into my exhaust for about 100,000 miles now with no problem at all. I'd be more worried about whether I have enough windshield washer fluid or how much tread I have left on my tires before I would worry AT ALL about this mod.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Cut To Order
New User
wow, thats awesome. did you buy that, or make it? and where would i get one/make one? thanks for the pics. (a pictures worth a thousand words). very nice. and thanks for the info.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Mine exits just forward of the lr wheel. No oil build-up. BTW your vapor should look about the same as cigarette smoke.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:53 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I routed mine into the exhaust a couple of weeks ago. So far I've noticed no problems. I used the same type of kit that FD did. I got it from Jegs, and fabbed up my own copper extensions (to dissapate heat). I have a 90* elbow in mine, that has a drain valve on the bottom to drain out any oil that might accumulate. It's routed a little different since I have stacks, but click here to see how I did it: CCV Into Exhaust

Edit - here's a closeup shot of the drain:Drain Valve. I forgot the pics are in my CCV gallery here on FTE.

Last edited by jtharvey; 09-27-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Looks good!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
I wrote this in another thread. I use to have mine going into a Moroso check valve and it work for a couple months. Then I started to get some oil leaks dripping to the ground. The only thing that I had changed in the two months was the CCV mod. I had read somewhere that it takes an extremely small amount of back pressure into the CCV to cause pressure buildup in the crankcase. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so off came the check valve. The oil drips stopped immediately. Something to keep in mind. By the way this has been months ago and still everything is dry.....

Marty

Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Here's mine with no check valve, parts from Lowes.

Quick Reply: ccv mod routed into exhaust pipe