Nevada Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:67 Olfthfl

Moving West

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Moving West

I will retire and move to St. George, Utah sometime late this year or early next. My kids and grand kids all wound up in St George. Frau and I always liked the west and since the family moved there we decided that we should do the same. I will spend a lot of time restoring Ford pickups, selling a few restored parts and spending time with my family. I'd like to find out about salvage yards in the area. Which yards are good and which are not. I especially enjoy Pull-A-Part type places where I can get my own parts. A good machine shop would be nice. I plan and assemble my own engines but I do not do machine work. I do sheet metal and welding but not paint so a good paint shop will be helpful. Any info on car shows or museums in the southwest would be great.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:09 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a couple of Pick n pull yards in Northern Nevada that I know of. One in Reno and one in Carson City. What year truck parts are you looking for? I will keep my eyes open next time I take a trip to the Old Truck Walmart.

Geeze, I wish I could retire...

Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
William, St. George is wild open canyon country with not a lot of people in it. I expect you can find any vintage of old ford around there - but parked in some field or up some canyon. My guess is that you will need to go to Las Vegas to find the sort of junk yard you are used to - but there should be ample small town type yards where they still let you wonder through their stuff.

Let us know when you get your shop set up - almost anyone heading east goes through St. George, so you can expect some drop in coffee business.

Welcome to the group.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 AM
05XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two Pick-a-Parts in Las Vegas... In addition to a few other salvage yards that I have either been to or know of. If you have any questions about where they are, or if your just in town, let me know and I will be more than happy to help you out!

Jason L.
05XLT
Nevada Chapter Leader

Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I will move Frau, her 3 Cats and Volvo out to Sun River in a Penske departing ATL on the 7th. We will arrive around noon on the 11th in St. George and unload. I'll come back to ATL on the 18th and stay here until my house in Powder Springs sells and then retire. I sure am looking forward to this new life in the west after working 40 years. My Son-in-law has a warehouse/shop and a California Special Mustang he wants restored and I have a 66 F100 Short that I hauled out there in May when we bought the new house. This should be good! Looking forward to making new friends, attending some car shows and spending time with family.