Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

I just don't find everything to be Ford VS GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just don't find everything to be Ford VS GM

Newbie here, I 've been pursing these forums to gain lots of great information to aid in fixing up my second Ford, a 92 F150 with the best gas truck engine ever made the 4.9L. The first was a 66 f150 with a 300 as well.

Anyway I'm a bit of a hotrodder and a general gearhead as well as a hardcore GM fan and yet here lately I've come to the conclusion that Fords products pick up right where some GM ones stop short and vise versa on other models. Kind of a 6 one way half dozen the other type situation.

My background of wrenching on chevys pontiacs and oldsmobiles seems to carry right over to wrenching on my F150.

I kinda like em both.

PS. Dodges are of the DEVIL I've worked on my share and have since come to the conclusion that "you can't ever actually fix a Dodge, you can only work on them alot"

Last edited by Krochus; 09-24-2006 at 06:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Krochus
Newbie here, I 've been pursing these forums to gain lots of great information to aid in fixing up my second Ford, a 92 F150 with the best gas truck engine ever made the 4.9L. The first was a 66 f150 with a 300 as well.

Anyway I'm a bit of a hotrodder and a general gearhead as well as a hardcore GM fan and yet here lately I've come to the conclusion that Fords products pick up right where some GM ones stop short and vise versa on other models. Kind of a 6 one way half dozen the other type situation.

My background of wrenching on chevys pontiacs and oldsmobiles seems to carry right over to wrenching on my F150.

I kinda like em both.

PS. Dodges are of the DEVIL I've worked on my share and have since come to the conclusion that "you can't ever actually fix a Dodge, you can only work on them alot"
NOW NOW I own an 88 Dodge D250 2wd, 360, 4bbl, 4sp, 4:10 posi rear end with a covered utility box. It is a great truck. I don't work on it anymore than my 86 F250 4x4, 460, C-6, 3;55 gears.
I was a member of the Oldsmobile Service Guild in the early 70s. I worked for a GM dealer. One difference is Fords can take overheating much better than GM products. Ford has much better truck frames than early GMs through 1987. Except the 80 Ford F150 frame with all the holes in it behind the cab. The 4.9 Ford is a great engine but so was the 292 Chevy I-6. The 460 is a much better big block than the 454. Not as fast but a better puller motor stock to stock. In the mid 60s,70s & early 80s Dodge had some of the best auto trannys on the market. and some of the very best engines on the market. Of course you had to bolt the drivers seat to the frame because everything else fell off.
So there are many differences. believe me.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree on the overheating.

Especally as far as ford V6 engines are concerned. You can walk past a ford 2.9 3.0 or 3.8 and just say the word overheat and it'll be enough to crack at least one cyl head.

I once lost a lower radiator hose on an olds 307 and the idiot light failed to come on. The engine got so hot it died, The thing was literally sizzling. After it cooled off I refilled her with h2o and put another 80K miles on the odometer

I own an 88 Dodge D250 2wd, 360, 4bbl,
Hey is it one that has a Rochester quadra jet carberator.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Catdave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krochus
Especally as far as ford V6 engines are concerned. You can walk past a ford 2.9 3.0 or 3.8 and just say the word overheat and it'll be enough to crack at least one cyl head.

I once lost a lower radiator hose on an olds 307 and the idiot light failed to come on. The engine got so hot it died, The thing was literally sizzling. After it cooled off I refilled her with h2o and put another 80K miles on the odometer

Hey is it one that has a Rochester quadra jet carberator.
I did the same thing back in '79 with a '74 Ford LTD with a 400. It was winter, and the water pump cracked because I had straight water in the radiator. (Quit laughing- I was just a teenager. ) Anyhoo, it started knocking & smoking, and I just gave it more gas trying to get home. After a few minutes it was on the floor, pouring black smoke out the back, and rattling like a dying diesel trying to hold 5 mph. Finally she died, and I had to call a tow truck. Had a garage put a new water pump on and she fired right up- and proceeded to give me another 40,000 miles before needing a rebuild at 130,000 miles.
Talk about a tuff motor!