Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

atv owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atv owners?

even tho im waiting til (hopefyully ) spring, i want to shop around a bit now for an atv.... mainly looking for a 4WD, 400-500cc... wondering who has a quad around that size, and what they like/hate about it.... also what some of your buddies have??? thanx folks

Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 AM
006f350diesel
Senior User
all the magazines always like kawasaki. ive had 2 and they were great. they seem to be more affordable than the others. the last mag i read was a 500 shootout. they used a a kawsaki 650 because it was cheaper then they other companies 500's. they picked the kawasaki as the clear winner of their testing.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to think of my Focus as an ATV.

-Matt

Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say that I did a lot of research when I bought my ATV. Actually did none! Was a friend of mine selling it, I needed one and this one was in mint condition and the price was too good to pass up. So I bought it. A '98 Polaris 425 Magnum.

What I like...incredible torque. I have tried to get this thing stuck in the mud to no avail. It will go any where you point it. I have taken up some VERY steep grades with no problem. Plowed snow, dragged fallen trees out of the bush, it just can take everything I can throw at it. It keeps going, its fairly quick by my standards 35-40mph. 4wd on the fly (you can turn it off or on). It has the polaris variable drive system like a snow mobile, no clutch , no shifting and works very well. And it's a lot of fun! but....if your not careful....ouch! it has thrown me a couple of times! (no alcohol was NOT a factor !)

What I don't like....this one has chain drive, a primary chain, front chain and rear chain. Thats a lot of chains to be draggin through the muck, a lot of chains to keep lubricated and a lot of chains to adjust. Not a problem so far but I can see maintainence issues eventually.
It also has another quirk that annoys me. When in reverse, it reverts to two wheel drive and is govern'd. I have to remember to push the Over-ride button to bring on the power in reverse then all is good. Why did they do that?!

Good luck on your selection, I think all the manufactures make some great machines so it will come down to your preference and pocket book. I would by another Polaris in a heart beat. They have shaft drive now like the rest.

Be careful not to go overboard, they are making these things big twin cylinder beasts now. Maybe good for a farm but in the bush you want to stay 400-500cc like you mentioned. And.. get a windscreen or windshield, they may look dorky but they keep the branches out of your face on the trails and keep you a lot warmer in the winter.

Let me know what you decide.

Frank

Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
thanx for the helps folks... no a focus is NOT an atv... its a econobox :P nice try tho! lol

im not really partial to chaindrive... like u said... oiling, adjusting, much getting in there...id rather a shaft drive... but thats me

keep it comin' folks

anyone suggest a good mag to check out?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:56 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
thanx for the link