Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

"Building G-1" and why it is...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Building G-1" and why it is...

"G1" began as a CHUNKA JUNK that I bought used from an older guy whom it turns out seems to think of himself as a small time used car and truck enterpreneur (READ THAT: SHADE TREE CLOWN).

The cooling system is about de-bugged and the last leak will be looked at this weekend. It's under the manifold...

My idea was to grab a four cylinder, five speed manual for the mileage. But the roads I run to work and back are twisty and bluntly a whole lot of fun to drive! And so I set out to make the truck just right for those roads, where shear grunt power is useless anyway until you can stick to the road in the turns.

The tires have taken me two paydays to work out. On the front I have 235/60/15 GOODYEAR Eagle GT-II's, and in the back are a pair of Mastercraft Avenger G/T 245/60/15's that are traction rated "A".

They do stick down...

A two inch lift block went into the back at lunch break one fine day for clearance and the front is going to recieve new spring coils so they don't bottom and rub anymore in a few places along the route.

The entire cylinder head assembly had to be replaced at one point because the above mentioned clown filled up the radiator with stop leak until it functioned as stop flow. This steam cleaned the inside of the block on the way home from my second day at a brand new job that I love to tears, cracked two upper chambers between the valves, and looked like Mount St. Helens when I finally wheeled into my driveway.

Strange but true: Ranger 2.3L engines are factory equipped with roller rockers, but they are called Cam Followers for some strange reason.

I am also seriously thinking about not IF to install an F350 sway bar on the back axle, but what hardware I need to bolt it up under there. IT WILL HAPPEN. I already have the sway bar left over from the F250 single to dually rear axle swap.

Some seriously overstock shock absorbers are also in it's near future, and I'm thinking about a front swaybar change. In my garage/shop there is a fine 3.8L V6 that is just plain ideal for this little buggy, I'm looking for a five or six speed manual to put on it.

The color it is right now just doesn't matter, I just brought home a three hundred dollar paint gun, and I already had a touch up shooter.

Right now, it looks like this:

Attached Images  

Last edited by Greywolf; 09-09-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:39 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best handling mod I ever put on a truck is the Hotchkis front & rear swaybars I have on my F150. It handles much better than stock. Plus it tows a trailor better too.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
rboeding
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a nice truck now. You really sure you want to paint it? I bet a really strong 302 would work fine in that

Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
FORD RACING BLUE (metallic) with two wide stripes of white.

Any questions about that choice?

I can do it....

(I guarantee ya)

"Let's don't stop now, GITTEE UP!!!"

Last edited by Greywolf; 09-10-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Update: If you ever change out a head or gasket on a 2.3L 8-plug with EFI:
Change the little dang 6" long hose and clamps under the lower intake.

For a week I've been rethinking how to get in there and fix the dribble coming from the rotten thing, and finally today I went in after it and got it done.

I had to carve up the inner fenderwell on that side to get my hands in there, and it carved up both of my forarms pretty good in return! But it's finally DONE.

Now, fer krikes sakes, I can put anti-freeze in it before Jack Frost gets here...

The only thing that drips from it is condensation from the A/C