Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard of the law about putting sensors on aftermarket wheels, but I from what I understand, that is being revisited because of the fact it goes against the purpose of the entire TPMS system to begin with.

On another note... I did talk to the Utah DMV about having the light flashing because of having aftermarket wheels and having to have the vehicle inspected (they require 'safety' inspections in Utah). The Commissioner told me they would pass inspection since the system itself is only for informational purposes and held no safety problems - as long as the tires were properly infated and not worn to the point of being dangerous to drive on.

I couldn't stand having a flashing light on the dash though...

The pipe idea will work and will cure the problem, but like tiny said, if you get pulled over and they inspect your vehicle, it is going to be fun explaining a pipe with a nipple on it...

Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had heard the pipe dream wouldn't work, since the sensors need motion to wake up and send their signals. From another thread, a guy had put his stock tires and rims with TPMS in the bed of his pickup, and it didn't work (dashboard light went on).

Has anybody tried this pipe trick, or is it just speculation?

I still haven't heard a good workaround for the custom rim replacement problem.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 PM
BlownGP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spikedog
I had heard the pipe dream wouldn't work, since the sensors need motion to wake up and send their signals. From another thread, a guy had put his stock tires and rims with TPMS in the bed of his pickup, and it didn't work (dashboard light went on).

Has anybody tried this pipe trick, or is it just speculation?

I still haven't heard a good workaround for the custom rim replacement problem.
I wanna try it, but I dont wanna cut off my bands and it not work..
Then I have to by new bands that are not cheap..

Im pretty much going to give up now..I dunno...sucks

Old 08-15-2007, 10:47 AM
youngfordguy
Junior User
ok here it is. i have been working at a ford dealer for quit a while now and have transferd may of sensors to after market rims. at least here in canada its not against the law to transfer them. the band type sensor will fit any rim as long as it has a drop center. and when mounting them they have to be exactly 180 degrees from the valve stem or there hard to reset. also the bands that ford sells will fit like up to a 22" rim just so you know.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Backin72
Senior User
Wow, what a freaking runaround if you want to change your rims.

How about just installing one of these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1187197539453

Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
davidsee
New User
TPMS Bands

This TPMS is just plan wrong. I have a 2007 F150 that was made in 08/07. It has the steal wheels, so I bought some nice factory rims on ebay for $240 total.

Went to the tire store, and they can't swap the tires without busting the bands, and the dealer wants $56.00 each. Not sure what to do now. The tire store manager said he could take them off and put the sensors in the spare, he thinks that should prevent the dash light from coming on, but he's not sure, since they've have no training on TPMS.

All he knows is the tire stores are licking thier chops because they stand to make some big bucks over the long run.
Any ideas

Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
davidsee
New User
I found this site - They are suppose to sell the Bands

http://www.mtfequipment.com/ps-132-6...sensor-ea.aspx

Old 10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Welcome to FTE davidsee!

Great link!

I'm looking for summer wheels for my '07 SportTrac now, so I called and talked to Jim at that company. Sounded good, so I ordered everything from him: (4) bands, (4) clips, (4) cradles, and (4) sensors. I'm using my OEM wheels/tires for winter rubber, so I need everything for the new ones. His prices are better than what I can even get from Ford, so we'll see how they do...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
CobraXP - did the guy Jim talk about the sensor calibration handheld? I saw a $300 tool on the link, but it would take alot of trips to the dealer for TPMS training to break even on $300.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 PM
davidsee
New User
Thank CobraXP - Glad to part of the group. Let me know how the Sensor bands work. I'm going to order some from Jim in the next couple of days.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by spikedog
CobraXP - did the guy Jim talk about the sensor calibration handheld? I saw a $300 tool on the link, but it would take alot of trips to the dealer for TPMS training to break even on $300.
I didn't ask about the calibration tool. I've got friends at a couple of dealerships and I know I can get it done for free, so it didn't cross my mind.

But you are right, it would take a few sets of tires to make up the $300 for the tool...

Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
For my 05 there's a magnet you put around the valve stem. It fires the transmitter to sync the system. If you put the sensor on the corner it came off you shouldn't have an issue. Only when you move them do you need recal. As far as I know.
.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=137498
I think the units know when they are spinning....

Dick

Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
BlownGP
New User
Damn, I guess you guys beat me too it.

I was about to use some long zip-ties and head to my friends shop to have him put them on the new rims. Well when I get there. He says, take a look at this. He shows this magazine with the bands in it. I was like.. WHAT THE HELL!!!! Where were you a year ago.. LOL
Im so glad companys make these, I knew it would happen oneday, but I wasnt exspecting it this soon

So here it is. I just ordered some tonight.

You need to make this a sticky CobraXP

Last edited by BlownGP; 11-01-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Found this tool number on a different thread. You can do it yourself with sensor training tool, Ford number 8C2T-1A203-AB. Seems to be anywhere from $15 to $21 from the dealer, and is made for '08 Ford vans. However, feedback says it'll work on Mustangs, F-150's, etc. THat might mean it'll work on Expys too.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
BlownGP
New User
CobraXP sticky this buddy

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors