Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

A Salute to Vloney.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Century Coronado
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Salute to Vloney.....

The Missouri Chapter is comprised of people from all over Missouri with varying lifestyles and occupations. We are what I like to refer to as a tapastry of people, a virtual buffet of personalties, or a cast of characters with one common thread, the love of Ford trucks. We all gravitated here by various routes. For me it was diesel superduties, originally the 7.3 forum and now the 6.0.

The 6.0 forum for the most part is no different than other forums others might frequent where posters come to boast of their truck, find or share information, post their problems, find or share solutions, or find and share comraderie. While there are many happy 6.0 owners, because the 6.0 suffered a rather rocky launch it had more than it's share of problem childs. Like the engine, the 6.0 forum has happy posts along with it's share of posted problems both real or contrived, bashers, and trolls too.

Since the launch of the high tech complex 6.0, vast improvements have been made to both the engine as well as to the training of the techs that work on them. As in any profession, there is a variance to the competency of techs out there. George Carland in one of his standup routines about doctors observed that when you ask most people about their doctor they say, "I have the best doctor." He went on to say, that means somewhere out there has to be the worst doctor!

We've all read vloney's posts here on the Missouri Chapter's forum and some might not know that he is a tech at a Ford dealership here in Missouri. The 6.0 forum is blessed that he and few other talented, sharp, and articulate techs see fit to be problem solvers during their off hours after a hard day at work. These guys are top caliber, the best of the best.

What does it take to be a damn good tech like vloney and company? Well in my opinion it's no different than in any other profession. Addressing the tech question I don't think anybody sums it up better than the Ford Doctor does on his website:

So what does it take to become a modern automotive technician? The first thing that comes to mind is you must have the interest and the desire to do the job, which is critical in being successful in any career. If you do not like what you are doing you most likely will not be very good at it. You will also need to posess the physical dexterity and ability to perform repairs and use tools correctly, safely and effectively. On the subject of tools, there is a considerable investment in all types of tools and tool storage required that can be very costly, into the tens of thousands of dollars in fact. Some technicians have been known to invest more than thirty to forty thousand dollars over the span of their careers purchasing basic hand tools, specialty tools and diagnostic equipment. Additional investments in training are almost essential from the entry level technician to the seasoned professionals. Acquiring a good foundation of general automotive knowledge is not only a good idea, doing so is almost crucial to advanced levels of training. As technology advances, so must your training and just keeping up is a big part of the job. To sum it all up, you need to be willing, healthy, capable, equipped and educated. Don't forget your health insurance because your back is going to need it!

In a recent thread on the 6.0 forum a well meaning moderator asked the volunteer techs to post up so everybody could recognize their screen names as techs.

This request prompted the following post from (screen name) GoblesKen:

I am not a tech, but I would think they would be afraid of being inundated with emails. Their input when provided should be enough for us. There are too many of us and is not right to expect a tech to provide an answer when they are busy with families and their hobbies.

This brought the following post by our fellow Missourian and Ford tech vloney that literally brought tears to my eyes for his pride in his profession and gave me even more respect for the man as well as a renewed faith in mankind:

Let me be the first to say, thank you for being concerned. When we entered into this profession, it was with the understanding that we would be dealing with quite literally another member of the family, so to speak. This job actually requires you to extend yourself beyond what is normally expected of most occupations. The late night calls from the neighbor because his daughter is stranded, The wife or kids that dont have enough money for repairs. There is a lot more "hazards" for us than meets the eye. Most techs are more than happy to stand up and proudly proclaim " Im a mechanic, bring it to me, I can fix it!" When you love what you do, there is no deterrent that can make you back down. We will endure working on hot engines, poor pay, less than appreciative customers, and rediculous costs of tools( I just paid off my $11,000 toolbox), and come back the next day for more. Again, thank you, and just bring it on!

I am the son of a veterinarian and know well of the long hours worked and emergencies my Dad tended to that lead to his successful practice. Among other things my Dad taught me, was what he referred to as the "three A's" to success:

Ability
Amiability
Availability

Vince, wheather it's consciously or by nature, you indeed practice the "three A's." But then you go on to trump all of the above with your hobby, your art work that you donate to worthy fundraising causes. Sir, you not only talk the talk, you walk the walk. For those of you that haven't had the pleasure to see Vince's art work, check it out:

www.geocities.com/vloney

Vince, you have inspired me and I look forward to meeting you next week.

Last edited by Century Coronado; 09-23-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a prior tech, I too know how it works in regards to everyone asking for advice, sometimes we can do it by the question, sometimes just gotta be there... My dad is terrible about phone diagnosis, and half the time can't get the description right. That is probably the hardest part, fuguring out what the customer is trying to tell you. If their info is short, our job is long. I still have no issue checking out problems, and depending on my equipment and physical ability, will do it in my spare time as well. As stated, you have to love what you do if you are going to be good. I did get burned out on fixing the vehicles I had of my own after doing it all day, but it didn't affect my days, but the back problems that came did. I still wanted to work on things after work, but physically i wasn't able to keep it up. I had more projects than I had time and money... (still do!) but was more than happy to take a look and try to help someone out.
Education is VERY key in a successful tech, I am so outdated now it scares me. I still understand the workings of the new stuff, but am no longer qualified to diagnose effectively. But for techs like vloney, it is not hard at all, but properly equipped and educated, it becomes like that. The thing that gets under my skin the most is techs who want to hook up the computer for things I know well are not computer related, but it is an easy buck, so it happens a lot. Lifter ticks an rod knocks do not warrant hooking up a computer...

Ok, now that I am done with that, I want to thank vloney for contributing his time here, and keep up the good work!

Old 09-23-2006, 02:24 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I so fully agree!! I posted for help from Vloney and he came back with informative replies very quickly!! His answer to that post also chocked me up a bit too as I thought about how I am at work and how I should try to be. It was very motivating and if it means anything to you Vloney, I actually have it posted here on my desk as a reminder on the days when I'm feeling stretched out too far. I kinda know how you feel. I have a fair knowledge of computers and my friends and neighbors call on that regularly. I just can't wait until their kids hit 10 or 11 so they'll finally know more about the damned things than I do and can take over!! lol

Here's to you and all the other techs on this board like you!!
You guys rock!!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you all for your kind remarks. For any tech, there is very few things that they require, an occasional pat on the back, a thank you from the heart, and for me, being able to stay in the business long enough to have my son working as a tech in the next bay. Maybe, I'll be able to keep my fingers bending like they should, and my eyes well enough to see "the red wire with the pink tracer" until my grandsons are turning wrenches.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Hear Hear!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
slmann
Postmaster
Thanks to vloney and all the other guys that make this such a great website.