Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Freshman User

lynnandtina is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Suspension alternative

I'm planning my rear suspension, and I have a few questions. My plan is to use nascar truck arms with a 9" using air bags. I'm wondering if I could use a rear trailing arm crossmember for a 60-72 chevy/gmc 2wd truck, since it uses the same type of trailing bars. Does someone have access to a 60-72 chevy/gmc truck to take some measurements for me ? I need to know the width and heigth of this crossmember, and the distance between the ears that the trailing arms get bolted to.
Another alternative is to build my own crossmember, but if I could use a stock piece from another truck, even though it is a chevy, I'd like to go that route.
Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Senior User

SunDown is starting off with a positive reputation.
well why dont you make your own cross member? I'm not sure what nascar truck arms look like but if its just a robust square tube 4 link with eyelets at ea end making a crossmener should be a cake walk.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior User

TheSovereign53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Making your own is probably the best way to do this.

Christian with an Effie

I've got a 302/C4 with a Spicer 44, Thrush Glasspacks, Power Steering, and an "aftermarket heater delete"

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...ix/truck02.gif
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Freshman User

I don't have a lot of fabrication skills under my belt, which is why I was leaning towards an existing design.Truck arms are essentially two 51" long arms which attach to the rear axle in a similar manner leaf springs attach, then attach to the crossmember located midway up the frame similar to an a-arm on a typical front suspension. There's a set on ebay right now for pictures, search for nascar truck arms.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like an interesting project. If no one chimes in with the GM measurements that you need try the Stovebolt forum;
http://www.stovebolt.com
They are a pretty decent group also. It seems like there was a couple of featured trucks in Custom Classic Trucks or Classic Trucks not too long ago (6 months or so) that had Nascar style trucks in them. The one I remember was a 38 Ford

Good luck
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Freshman User

For everyones information, The frames are exactly the same dimensions at the crossmember mounting point, The crossmember from the chevy fits perfectly inside the frame rails of the 55, heigth and width.
Lynn
Old 11-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
NASCAR uses those very same Chevy truck trailing arms. Spring mounts on top the arm in front of the axle. Does require a track bar as well. Correct geometry is when the CL of the bars are extended they meet at the front driveshaft U joint.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships

Last edited by AXracer; 11-22-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Freshman User

That's what I'm using for trailing arms, The NASCAR ones. I'm probably going to be forced to use a 2 piece driveshaft now, since it appears as though the hole in the crossmember was set up for this. The trailing arms have bushings that are approximately 1/16" too long, but they should fit snugly with a little persuasion.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I'd avoid the 2 pc shaft if at all possible. Weld in a NHRA type driveshaft support oval in the center of the crossmember to give needed clearance.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Freshman User

The 9 inch is also off center. Which is another reason why I was looking at the 2 piece driveshaft. Is the 2 piece too hard to set up or are there other reasons to avoid it ?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
You have a carrier bearing that needs to be supported an extra u joint and slip joint. If the U joint angles are not correctly oriented they will wear out very quickly. The offset of the rear end is a non issue, it assures the U joints do not work in a straight line.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 11-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Freshman User

Thanks, I'll look at the support oval.

Lynn
Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Summit has a number of different flat and tubular ones you might adapt, search driveshaft hoop or loop, or you could make or have made your own out of 1/4" steel strapping or 3/4" tubing.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 11-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Freshman User

I may have backed myself into a corner. The driveshaft appears to be too far to the passenger side to do this. I dont have my 390 sitting in there yet, but I'm using a volare front suspension with the nascar trailing arms and the 9" which the pinion sits about 2" to the left. The crossmember is set up for a center exit with the trailing arms attaching too close to be cutting a whole lot away.Lynn
Old 11-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Where there's a will there's a way, modifications are the norm when building Hot rods. Do you have pictures? Are you offsetting the engine for the Volare? Many with Volare's off set the engine a couple inches to the right for steering shaft/header clearance. That may produce more clearance issues than the pinion offset. 2" at the rear axle does not angle the driveshaft a whole lot at the tranny, but if it is tight, there are ways to get more room. How far behind the front universal is the crossmember? How far apart are the arm mounts?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 11-23-2006, 08:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
51, alternative, ford, link, nascar, rear, silverados, suspension, suspensions, truck