need info on 4.6 in my explorer....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
eddie21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need info on 4.6 in my explorer....

Hello, I'm new to the forum but long time ford owner. My question to to anyone out there is this. I own a 2003 Ford explorer eddie bauer with the 4.6 V8 it's build date on the door is 10/02. I have heard some things about the heads not having enough threads in the spark plug hole and they could blow out. What years did this defect happen to the 4.6 motors and does it effect my 2003 motor? Does the fuel rail have to be removed to get the coils ofF(seems very close to the coils)? Does anyone have any other tips for changing the plugs.

The truck has mainly highway miles(my wife works at a hospital about 45miles away from home) and has about 68,000 miles on her, will this be a problem for getting them out?

The truck is well maintained and gets Mobil 1 oil every 5,000 miles , new air, fuel filters etc. when needed, I just don't buy into the 1000,000 mile tune up after talking to people. I would like to do spark plug changes every 20 to 25,000 miles.

sorry for so many question's I'm trying to learn about this motor since this is my first 4.6. Thanks again for any help.

Chris

Old 09-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the spark plug thread issue was for the 5.4. ...and, I also think the problem was fixed in 2001. Hopefully, you're safe.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:23 PM
eddie21
Junior User
I hope this is the case. When I first heard of this was when my friends 2002 4.6 crown vic sport blew a plug when he changed them, he later found out through various forums that this was common for ford 4.6 motors. Its has done this with crown vics, marqs , mustang cobra's and lightning pickups with the blown 4.6 motors.

No one from those forums knows if this happens with explorers. I would assume that the 4.6 is the same as the vics etc. Some say this was cured for 2003 some say not until 2005.

I was hoping the truck guys could shed some light on this and fellow 4.6 explorer guys as well.

Thank for your responce.

Chris

Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it's a Romeo, there is the valve tick issue....

No problem with the questions--I got many answered myself through this forum, and have a 2002 E-150 with the 4.6. I concluded before buying it in March '03 that the plug blowout issue is not at all common on the 4.6. Despite having the minimal spark plug threads on the early 4.6's, the lesser vibration and power of the 4.6 seem to make it much less of a problem. (Look on E-bay under "Lincoln Town Car", sort by highest miles first, and you can see that these motors often go 300k miles and even more--also in police car applications.)

But, there is a TSB issued by Ford, 3-25-06 I believe is the number, which addresses the Romeo (engine code W as the 8th digit of the VIN)...the early PI (power improved) heads circa 2001 thru 9/2003 can develop a tick in the rear cylinder exhaust valves due to excessive carbon buildup in the valve guides and/or on the valve stems. The cooling passages in these heads were too small at the rear of the heads, and in talking to a Ford engineer bud who was involved with the GT40 engine project (I'm in the Detroit area) he noted that there was a defect and encouraged me to go to the dealer. Long term issue could be burning the rear exhaust valves, or hammering the valvetrain for those valves. The tick is evident mostly thru the wheel well area, when the engine is warm (this is not the cold-engine piston slap problem that some of the modular motors, primarily the Windsors, have had).

My van had this ticking--pretty prominent on the right side, and at about 41k miles--I have a 6/60 extended warranty that I bought when the van was new--just had both cylinder heads replaced at a net cost of $100 deductible and an additional $53 for a new set of plugs (they were actually going to reuse the originals, which is stupid). New head gaskets, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, front cover gaskets, oil/filter, and coolant. Just got the van back today after work.

Since I bought the van intending to keep it for a relative eternity (we have 4 cars in the family, all over 100k miles), I am REALLY relieved that the lifespan of the van is likely extended bigtime. I believe the replacement heads also have more spark plug threads, so I'm doubly pleased.

I just got back from a nice smooth test drive, and all is well.

Good luck with your motor. As I said, there are a LOT of limos, cop cars, taxis, etc with the 4.6 and it's a fine engine. I also have a friend who has a limo service and in talking to his mechanic, they are very happy with the 4.6. I don't think I'd change the plugs that often, as there is probably more chance of mucking up the threads--maybe 50k intervals would be fine. My wife's Duratec sable has 103k on the original plugs and I've gotta get around to changing them before winter.

George

Last edited by YoGeorge; 09-19-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM
eddie21
Junior User
George, Thanks for your responce I found it very helpful.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
I'm pretty sure it's only the 5.4L's that had the spark plug issue. Not sure when they got it corrected, but I had heard 2001 as well.