Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Virginia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: archtaan

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
what to do with my old '87 F-150. . .

So, my little bro has his own truck now and my '87 is back in "driveway limbo". . .What to do? It WAS a nice truck, but has fallen into disrepair. There have a been a series of engine gremlins that I have been unable to diagnos as-is, the cab is rusting out faster than it can be repaired, and it is a non-overdirve vehicle in this day of high gas prices. . .

So. . .

-Sell it for a couple hundred bucks to get it out of the yard
-Strip what I want off of it and part out the rest
-Try and fix it and still only be able to sell if for a little more than as-is probably. . .

Hmmm. . .this also presents an interesting opportunity. Along time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I wanted a twin-turbo I6 for my truck. . .I was swayed by the evil BB crowd. . .but now that I have a complete parts truck with a low mileage motor . . . lets see, scrap the fuelie electronics for a Mass-Air setup, but the base components are still there. . .

1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Post Fiend

kjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to beholdkjett is a splendid one to behold
Hmm... 87 150 eh. With a I6.... That turbo option sounds kinda interesting. Especially if it's 4wd. Of course you'd have to change out at least the front axle for any durability, but might be able to get away with keeping the rear with a few upgrades.

Since the cab is rusting away, put on a ranger body, and shorten the frame a few inches. Would make for one hell of a light weight, quick revving mud drag truck.....

Just a few thoughts...

Free Paul and Dan from random moderator oppression!!!

1995 F-150
Ranger Mud Truck
Old 09-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Elder User

BigBlue88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbos are good, m'kay!

And you can use factory motor mounts, too.
2008 Chrysler 300
2005 Chevrolet Impala
Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.Franken-Truck has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well, the I6 would be dropped into the '78 for nothing more than something completely different. . .but then again I could go turbo fuelie 460, just having a hard time finding a efi 460. . .Just that the 300 is already here now. . .

I hate options
1987 F-250 4x4
VIRGINIA CHAPTER
Virginia Chapter Website
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Elder User

BigBlue88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
11:1 compression on that 460 will cure all that ails you.
2008 Chrysler 300
2005 Chevrolet Impala
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Virginia Chapter

Tags
87, f150, faster, make