Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 AM
McATTACK Racing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Leaking Tranny

I've just joined and this is my problem. I own a '99 250 SD since it was new that I bought only to tow my race rig and have not had one bit of trouble with it till now-I wish I could have bought something like this sooner but they didn't do the redesign till '99. I had turned 30,000 miles and changed oil and tranny fluid as Ford recommends at that time. I drained the tranny pan and the convertor and replaced the filter and 16 qts. of fluid and everything was fine. The level on the tranny stick was ok and I hooked up and left for Norwalk to race. Upon returning home Sunday night I backed up my driveway as I usually do and parked. Monday a.m. I'm surprised to see a trail of tranny fluid up the driveway to the truck. I crawled under it to find a puddle and it was still leaking- this after I drove 2,300 miles with no leaks! I cleaned all the mess only to find that it still leaks on the driver's rear corner of the pan just like mentioned in another post. I've also have a bad vibration at 70mph and when Ireturned home after a shopping trip the tranny decided to puke in my driveway. My question is why would this happen after driving 2,300 miles as it never leaked backing up my driveway before this change. The local Ford dealer wanted $180 to flush the system and now they laugh at me for doing it myself. They said they don't drop the pan to change the filter, so I asked them how they clean the gunk out of the bottom of the pan and their answer was we don't. What went wrong here and what should I look at to fix this problem and could the vibration be a cracked case? Thanks for reading this and any help is appreciated. I won first rd. in Super Rod but had to leave because of the rainout and work.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You most likely over filled the tranny. You need to check the level when it's really hot.

The oil is probably coming from the over flow at the top of the tranny. When backing a heavy load you are really heating-up the tranny.

The vibration may be the tailshaft bushing. Grab the driveshaft and see how much slop there is.

Stay away from the stealership. You cannot service the trans without dropping the pan. $180 to do it wrong, HA! you can laugh at them. Flush & fill the tranny again, this time keep the level a bit low till you can get hot.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
all service shops do a tranny flush without dropping the pan unless the customer request them to. mcattack if you put 16 quarts in tranny then you did over fill it. also your vibration might be your ujoints or tires. might try to get your tires balanced where they can road force them.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
McATTACK Racing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Leaking tranny

I just wanted to update the readers here on what's happening with my problem. The dealer I bought the truck from agrees with me the leak looks to be in the thin gasket between the tailshaft and the extension-duh! now they say there is a rattle in the torq con. and it needs replaced- did any of you guys out there ever hear of this one before in any of the old warranty recalls. They still can't find the vibration but atleast now they say its there since the mechanic drove the truck. They wonder if it's coming from a bad bearing in the extension or a bad imput shaft-in other words a shot in the dark but the said they'll keep guessing if that is what I want. I don't have a garage or pit capable of doing this kind of work so am I at their mercy? I hope someone has an idea or direction I can start at as they're going to start tearing the driveline apart tomorrow at the dealer. Thanks for reading.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:19 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, run away from the stealership. Find a tranny shop to take a look at it.