Original Paint color

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Ronindog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original Paint color

To one and all:

I have a 66 slick that I am restorying and it is currently red, but it appears that at some point in the course of its lifes' journey it was dark blue.

the VIN# is F10Y81064, however I dont' know if that tells me the original color?

For nostalgic reasons I want to have it painted the red for that year, so my question is:

How do I go about identifying the original red used that year and whats the likelihood that someone can get the color right? Is it as simple as going to the paint store or should I put my faith in the body shop that will be doing the job?

thanks one and all for your suggestions

ronindog

Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 PM
The13thPlumber
Junior User
You can just go to the paint store and have them look it up in their color charts for that year or the place you are having the work done do it. Yes, you will get that exact color or any color you want that way. Any auto paint store will have charts going back untill the 50s at least and when you see a car with a color you like you can go to the store with the car make and color and they will look it up and show you the color on a chip. If you say YES THATS IT then they will mix it for you in what ever kind of paint you want

Old 09-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Ronindog
Junior User
13th, thanks, very helpful and makes me feel better about all this.

have a good one