1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New stuff for the reference threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Code3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New stuff for the reference threads?

Hey folks!

I know I'm not, by any means, an old pro here on FTE or in the garage. I know there are a lot of folks here that have seen and done it all when it comes to this site and/or old Fords. I'm also aware that what I'm about to suggest has probably already been suggested. That being said, I've noticed a pattern recently on the forum. The same type stuff keeps coming up over and over again. If I've noticed it in my short time here, I'm sure everyone else has too. I'm talking about things like "what does my vin mean?", "just got a project, where do I start?", "what do I do about rust?", etc. I'm not saying those questions are a bad thing. Heck, I like the easy ones, 'cause I get the rare oppurtunity to make a positive contribution to the site. I just think it would be easier and a lot more convenient for everyone involved if all the typical FAQs were located somewhere in a reference thread. That way, we could say, "Welcome newbie, check the FAQs." Why not come up with some ideas for new stuff for the reference threads? Here's mine:

1)Links to Earl's site and JNoilon's "Trials of a First Time Builder" for those "what do I do?" and "where do I start?" questions.
2)A link to one of the vin lookup sites
3)A detailed description of how to use the search function

I hope I'm not coming off as uppity or assumptive. I had the very same questions when I was new to this site. I just noticed that the same questions keep getting asked, and the same folks are giving the same answers...just a suggestion...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm..I like it, but I think it gets rid of the warm welcoming to FTE with all your questions answered by someone, right there, right for you. Thats why I love FTE so much.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Code3
Elder User
I don't mean we shouldn't welcome new folks. I like the warm fuzzy "welcome newbie" stuff too, but that's only a small fraction of what makes this such a great site. The really great thing about this site happens after all the welcoming is over. When the "go-to" guys on this site check in and start sharing their vast amount of knowledge and experience...that's when the fun starts and the Ford bug bites. I'm just suggesting a way to get to the good stuff quicker. I'm not saying we should do away with the warm welcomes. That wouldn't happen anyway 'cause everyone here knows we're the best folks on the web!

Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
So put it together, when your finished post it, we'll rip it apart.
Then after you get it right submit it to Fomoko as a stickie.

Several good things here.

We get consolidated information.

And we all get to pick on the same person at once

Old 09-15-2006, 09:13 AM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would have to agree with Sovereign53, and not just because I have a 53 too!

I used to frequent a Mustang site, and it seemed that when a new guy came on board and asked something common, like a disc brake swap, AOD trans, etc., the first posts were "before you ask, do search".
It was like they didn't want to be bothered with such trivial stuff. I was just commenting to my wife last week on how much I liked this site because that stuff didn't happen.
I agree we need the refernce section at the top and maybe expand it, but lets not lose the comraderie we have here

Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Code3
Elder User
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
So put it together, when your finished post it, we'll rip it apart.
Ok, this weekend.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Code3
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1Digger
...but lets not lose the comraderie we have here
There is no way that is going to happen, too many good folks here with too much to share.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I would have to agree with Sovereign53, and not just because I have a 53 too!

I used to frequent a Mustang site, and it seemed that when a new guy came on board and asked something common, like a disc brake swap, AOD trans, etc., the first posts were "before you ask, do search".
It was like they didn't want to be bothered with such trivial stuff. I was just commenting to my wife last week on how much I liked this site because that stuff didn't happen.
I agree we need the refernce section at the top and maybe expand it, but lets not lose the comraderie we have here
I'm not sure asking whether a '53 can be retrofitted with a Mustang II IFS for the thousandth time builds comaraderie! This question (whether to tell the newbie to use Search or go thru it all again) comes up on every site I've been to. It shouldn't be the only response. Some people (particularly those less computer literate) don't know they can Search, so it needs to be mentioned. Referring the newbie to your gallery if you've been down the same path is OK too. But going into the general question over and over is a waste of time IMHO.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:38 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
All the threads have a unique id number; i.e. this thread is 527518. If the threads that deal with a particular subject could be grouped by the ID number it would make things easier for everyone.
It would be alot of work, but it could be broken down by individuals. One or more people search a subject (T5) gather all the numbers, weed out the non-informative ones and post a list.

I nominate Code3 for the project leader. All in favor? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. Opposed?
I. Code3 Your elected.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Code3
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'm not sure asking whether a '53 can be retrofitted with a Mustang II IFS for the thousandth time builds comaraderie! This question (whether to tell the newbie to use Search or go thru it all again) comes up on every site I've been to. It shouldn't be the only response. Some people (particularly those less computer literate) don't know they can Search, so it needs to be mentioned. Referring the newbie to your gallery if you've been down the same path is OK too. But going into the general question over and over is a waste of time IMHO.
My thoughts exactly! I'll work on something this weekend and post it on this thread so all of you can pick it apart, make fun of me, and point and laugh.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Code3
Elder User
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
All the threads have a unique id number; i.e. this thread is 527518. If the threads that deal with a particular subject could be grouped by the ID number it would make things easier for everyone.
It would be alot of work, but it could be broken down by individuals. One or more people search a subject (T5) gather all the numbers, weed out the non-informative ones and post a list.

I nominate Code3 for the project leader. All in favor? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. Opposed?
I. Code3 Your elected.
That's a good idea 4t...going to be a lot of work, but a good idea...I'll start with the "where do I start?" type threads. Maybe preface it with a link to Earl's site and to "Trials..." After that, move on to some other common question not yet covered in one of the reference threads. It's going to take some effort, but it should be fun. Any suggestions, input, complaints, or free truck parts will be appreciated!

As project leader, I nominate 4t as technical advisor. All in favor? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. Opposed? I. 4t, you're elected. It seems that the same smart@$$ that voted against me voted against you as well.

Ok 4t, so would it be easier to post links to the threads, or the thread numbers themselves? If the numbers are the best way to go, how do you find the thread number? Can it be done in such a way that clicking on the # will automatically take you to the thread?

I wish I could start on it now, but it's time to go to work...saving the world 1 broke jet at a time...

Last edited by Code3; 09-15-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
1Digger
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure asking whether a '53 can be retrofitted with a Mustang II IFS for the thousandth time builds comaraderie!
LOL
I agree, but each project has its own little nuances.

I just felt very welcome posting here (and still do) as opposed to other sites where they made you feel like a total noob.

Just my $.02

Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Code3
Elder User
I just felt very welcome posting here (and still do) as opposed to other sites where they made you feel like a total noob.
I know the feeling, but this isn't going to change anything. These will still be the best folks on the WWW!

Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Code3
That's a good idea 4t...going to be a lot of work, but a good idea...I'll start with the "where do I start?" type threads. Maybe preface it with a link to Earl's site and to "Trials..." After that, move on to some other common question not yet covered in one of the reference threads. It's going to take some effort, but it should be fun. Any suggestions, input, complaints, or free truck parts will be appreciated!
Actually, this forum has an excellent Advanced Search function that lets you look only in '48 - '60, search by posts by individuals, topic, only certain dates, etc. The POS MSN forums absolutely suck in this respect, they only recently added any kind of search and it doesn't work most of the time.

I think all you'd have to do is to do an advanced search, and copy the URL from the results you get. You could have a single sticky thread full of links to search results and be done with it. I believe it would automatically update itself, since the URL is actually the search criteria. Could be wrong tho!

Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, guys, but I disagree and would not do this. I think that the first few posts of a new guy is more him wanting to talk about HIS truck, and to get to know the community. I do not think he really wants technical details, his question is more of a conversation starter.

If you wanted to keep a list of good threads he should read, and posted those to the thread he started, it would be OK. Sort of like saying "read this, and come back and ask any question you may have."

A sticky note explaining how to use the search function, how to attach pictures to a post, and how to set up a gallery would be very helpful. But that is as far as I would go - and if you do not want to answer simple newbe questions, just don't post.

Quick Reply: New stuff for the reference threads?