Notices

Wheel Spacers, Baaadd!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
91Blues
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Wheel Spacers, Baaadd!!!!!!!

I just want to put a thread up that I wish i would have seen when I was trying to decide if wheel spacers (any style) were a good idea! I used the adapter style spacer and even though it was installed correctly, it still managed to malfunction. I had the unfortunate experience of having my tire pass me on the freeway! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!

If you have an experience with spacers, feel free to post as a thread with your opinion! Thank you!

Old 09-12-2006, 05:43 PM
furball69
Postmaster
I'm curious to know what the malfunction was and how you think it could have been prevented.. Or, was it a faulty product that failed?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's just scary! I hope no one got hurt.

I've had 2" bolt-on aluminum spacers from Arrowcraft between my rear dually wheels for quite a while without any issues. I also spent about 2 yrs. researching spacers before I would even consider putting them on and didn't find anyone who actually had a failure of a spacer. I did hear stories about failures, but compared to the whole they were very rare and the details were sketchy. Obviously spacers in and of themselves aren't all that dangerous, given the fact that dually's come stock with spacers in the front, if built properly and installed properly, with lugs that can take the extra weight. But situations and vehicles vary.

I second Furball, what are the details of the situation?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 AM
91Blues
Freshman User
No the spacers were not faulty, one just worked it's way loose. The only thing I could think of to prevent the situation from happening again would be to use bead lock on the spacer nuts. But I don't think it's worth the risk of loosing a tire.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 91Blues
No the spacers were not faulty, one just worked it's way loose. The only thing I could think of to prevent the situation from happening again would be to use bead lock on the spacer nuts. But I don't think it's worth the risk of loosing a tire.
Sounds like the installation was the problem if you didn't loc-tite the nuts.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Loctite on wheels or any thing to do with wheels, you gotta be kidding me. All loctite is, is a glue. OK I am gonna glue my wheels to my truck!

Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
He means putting loctite on the lugs when you install the spacers. This prevents the lug nut from working its way loose.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
I don't know whether a slip-on spacer or bolt-on was being used in this case. If you're mounting a bolt-on spacer directly to the hub (as opposed to between dually wheels), you could put Loctite. But you shouldn't have to. You would treat the bolt-on like you would a wheel. That is, check the lug nuts after 50 miles, then 100miles, then periodically to make sure they're holding torque. It's definitely a PITA to have to remove the tire (especially a 35" Super Swamper on a 40lb steel wheel) check the spacer and then put the tire back on. But obviously it's worth the time.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:32 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
I used 1 1/4" spacers/adapters on my old mustang for almost 2 years and never had a single problem. now the first time i checked them after about 100 miles the lugs came little loose. just torqued them down a little more and never had anymore problems again.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Yeah, also, if they were aluminum spacers then you really need to re-torque them. Just like an aluminum wheel.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
suepitka
New User
I've got 1 1/4" aluminum spacers and 33" super swampers on my aluminum wheels. The only problem being the front suspension needing lots of work. Is this normal for spacers/adapters?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by suepitka
The only problem being the front suspension needing lots of work.
Need a little more info on the problems. In general a wheel spacer will tend to put a little more stress on ball joints and wheel bearings. But having 33" Swamper's is probably having the biggest effect on any suspension components. Though without knowing what the problems are it's hard to say.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
suepitka
New User
Ball joints are the only problem right now. I'll listen for the bearings.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:48 PM
StealthAuto
Junior User
That sounds scary! I'm glad you're ok. I have had 1/4" H&R hubcentric spacers in my car for the past year but have been scared to install them. I think your post made my decision for me.

-Aaron

Old 10-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Mr. Fixit
Senior User
There are so many 'issues' to consider when using wheel spacers. Here are a few I can remember being told about by one of The Olde Guys (WWI vet) with lots of experience:
1 Does the spacer move the rolling center of the wheel away from the bearing mid-line more than the maximum allowed amount? Factory hubs/wheels are designed to make the stresses on the bearings as small as possible.
2 Do the spacers allow the wheel to fully seat as is the case on the factory hub flange? On many factory hubs, there is a small recess around the base of each lug so that the wheel deforms a bit when the lug is tightened. This allows the wheel lugnut seat area to act as its own 'lock washer'.
3 If the spacer is aluminum, is it coated so that there will be no corrosion at the point of contact with the steel hub. Even a good anodized aluminum will need to be cleaned and 'repainted' regularly.
4 If the spacer has its own lug nuts (not the spacers that allow the factory lugs to stick through holes), are they splined and a pressfit or are they bonded (glued) in? If the spacers are the pass though type that use the factory lug nuts, are they long enough and strong enough?
5 How will the spacers affect the steering and suspension geometry? This is not so much of a problem with solid axles of course.
6 If your vehicle is new, will the spacers void your warranty? They probably will...

The Olde Guy, back in the 70s, insisted I not use spacers. I ended up using wheels with a 1/4 inch increased positive offset and he still disapproved (You must have guessed by now who The Olde Guy was).

Times have changed, it may all be different now but then again....

Last edited by Mr. Fixit; 10-08-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers, Baaadd!!!!!!!