1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 AM
andywe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Additives

I have been starting ti ehar about how I shoulkd be using a fuel additive. I was wondering what was the consensus on what to use. Up here in seattle it gets cold in the winter ( 30's and 40's) with lsots of rain and moisture. My truck is not my daily dricer and may sit a week before being run.

Thanks!!

Andy

Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 AM
utahcrew
Senior User
Andywe, I live in northern Utah and I run stanadyne Proformance year round. I have been very happy with it. Just my 2cents.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Stroker 94 1/2
Senior User
I live in kansas and I use Diesel Power from O'riellys.
I have never had the water in fuel light come on or a fuel line freeze on me.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both Stanadyne and Diesel Kleen (Power Service) are good products. It usually comes down to which one you can find in your area. Most truck stops, Walmart, and auto part stores carry Diesel Kleen. In my area you have to mail order Stanadyne or drive 70 miles oneway to get it, so I use Diesel Kleen. My bulk fuel supplier carries it.

If your truck is sitting for very long and you are not using up the fuel in the tanks and replacing it with new fuel, you should be using a biocide also. It stops algae growth in the fuel, which if it gets started can be a BIG headache to clean out, (dropping the tanks and washing them, flushing your fuel lines, cleaning all of the screens, not to mention the damage done to injectors and steel lines from the acid).

I use Diesel Kleen (gray bottle for summer & white for winter) in every fillup. I also use Diesel Kleen Biocide every other month as maintenance in both tanks. A biocide can be obtained from any large fuel supplier. With all of the moisture in WA I would use a biocide. Diesel fuel attracts moisture, and moisture in fuel promotes algae growth.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Leader
Elder User
I have never had a need for any additives here in MI. (-10 to -20 at least once every winter) With over 369,000 miles on my truck I just semi retired it. It now may sit for as long as a month without being even started. Being a back up work vehicle now it HAS to start & run when I jump in it.
I have NO intention of putting ANY additive in it. You DON'T need it.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
I agree that in the old days additive's were not needed, however, given the poor quality of fuel and lack of sulfur you really should add a lubricant to perserve your pump and injectors.........I reccomend using Hydrotex brand "Lubricity" or the Standyne "Lubricity"..........I personally stay away from using the "injector cleaners" every month................... after the mixed responses that you have recieved you may not know what to do...........Good Luck