6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Cam Position Sensor covered under engine warranty, Crank Position Sensor is not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Fury
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Position Sensor covered under engine warranty, Crank Position Sensor is not?

Hello,

Good forum. Always a good place to get the straight scoop on Ford Truck issues.

I have a 2003 6.0l F-250 with ~63K miles on it. I do not have the extended warranty. Around ~24K miles, I noticed a fluid leak running down the pan. Never enough to drip on the ground. Took to the dealer and they replaced the o-rings on the Cam Position Sensor and the Crank Position Sensor.

Noticed the same symptom around 2 weeks ago. Took into the dealer today and they stated that both the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Position Sensor need to be replaced.

They advise that the Cam Position Sensor IS covered under the 5yr/100K miles engine warranty, but Crank Position Sensor IS NOT covered.

Does this ring true with what other folks have run into - that the Ford 6.0 diesel engine warranty DOES NOT cover the Crank Position Sensor?

Other than that, the trunk has behaved very well - very few problems.

Thanks for any comments or pointers to threads that may provide further information.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a peek at the Warranty Guide for my '04 and it appears that the Crank Position Sensor is not covered. It does specifically list the Cam Position Sensor, but not the Crank Position Sensor.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Fury
New User
Thanks for the reply. It's unfortunate the dealer did not replace the sensors themselves when the leaks were first reported at ~24K miles, but I could have insisted, so I will not fault the dealer.

I will watch these very carefully and if they leak again, get the truck right back to the dealer. The Crankshaft Position Sensor should be covered under the 12 month /12K miles warranty, once they replace today.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
lonesta5
New User
Ask your dealer about A.W.A. (After Warranty Adjustment)

From personal experience and first-hand knowledge:

Ford provides up to two After Warranty Adjustment (AWA) repairs. These can be used up to 5 years or 75000 miles. Covered items include everything under the original 3/36 warranty.

When an AWA is submitted by the dealer, Ford reimburses the dealer's AWA warranty claim with 80% of the repair cost. The remaining 20% is typically paid by the vehicle owner. In some cases, the customer might pay only 10% and the dealership 10%, but Ford prefers the customer to pay the entire 20% balance.

Look at it like a free extended warranty with a 20% deductible and a limited number of uses (two).

Ask your dealer if they'll do an AWA repair for you on the CP sensor.

If the CP sensor replacement is not that expensive, save your two AWA repairs for a possibly more expensive event. Remeber, you are only entitled to two.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
crank sensor if covered. they might not want to do it under warranty because it a pain in the toucus.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Fury
New User
"crank sensor if covered. they might not want to do it under warranty because it a pain in the toucus."

Hello - Do you have a reference for this? I looked at the Ford Warranty Guide 5th Printing, and it does not mentioned Crank Position Sensor, but does mention the Cam Position Sensor.

If I can have additional information, it will make my position stronger... Thanks!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Fury
New User
Originally Posted by lonesta5
From personal experience and first-hand knowledge:

Ford provides up to two After Warranty Adjustment (AWA) repairs. These can be used up to 5 years or 75000 miles. Covered items include everything under the original 3/36 warranty.

<snip>
Thanks for this information - never knew about the AWA option the dealer has.

Someone has replied that the Crank Position Sensor IS covered under warranty, so that is interesting.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
yes it is. i double checked to make sure. if your dealer fights you on this, find a new one.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BowTieHatr- I looked more thoroughly in the Warranty Guide and can't find where it is, or could be, covered. What would it be covered under in our Warranty Guide or other Ford literature?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
CanadaGuy
Elder User
I'd strongly recommend against trying to use AWA for such a small repair. It's something better saved for larger repairs such as a transmission failure. But, keep in mind that it is not mandatory that a dealer try to get AWA, it's more of a tool we have to use for customer retention and to reward dealer loyalty.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
its in our warranty information for covered and or emmision parts.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadaGuy
I'd strongly recommend against trying to use AWA for such a small repair. It's something better saved for larger repairs such as a transmission failure. But, keep in mind that it is not mandatory that a dealer try to get AWA, it's more of a tool we have to use for customer retention and to reward dealer loyalty.
Exactly. AWA (and a friend telling me about it) saved my tail on my '01 Expedition, which dropped a transmission at 48K. I ended up paying 10% of the repair bill, got a new tranny, and a 5/100K extended warranty on the complete powertrain.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Fury
New User
Hello,

The Crankshaft Position Sensor? What year is your vehicle?

The service folks at the dealer were sort of quiet about the whole thing. I said "this is the second problem related to the Camshaft and Crankshaft Position Sensors, that's a recurring problem in my book". But I know it is not their fault.

Did tell them I will be checking the vehicle every 2-3 weeks to see if the vehicle is leaking and will promptly call them with any problems.

Originally Posted by BowTieHatr
its in our warranty information for covered and or emmision parts.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:29 PM
Mustanger04
1st Gear
Cam shaft sensor / Solenoid

Originally Posted by Fury
Hello,

Good forum. Always a good place to get the straight scoop on Ford Truck issues.

I have a 2003 6.0l F-250 with ~63K miles on it. I do not have the extended warranty. Around ~24K miles, I noticed a fluid leak running down the pan. Never enough to drip on the ground. Took to the dealer and they replaced the o-rings on the Cam Position Sensor and the Crank Position Sensor.

Noticed the same symptom around 2 weeks ago. Took into the dealer today and they stated that both the Cam Position Sensor and Crank Position Sensor need to be replaced.

They advise that the Cam Position Sensor IS covered under the 5yr/100K miles engine warranty, but Crank Position Sensor IS NOT covered.

Does this ring true with what other folks have run into - that the Ford 6.0 diesel engine warranty DOES NOT cover the Crank Position Sensor?

Other than that, the trunk has behaved very well - very few problems.

Thanks for any comments or pointers to threads that may provide further information.

I have a 2021 Ford F150 with the 5.0L has 44k miles and I just had to pay almost 600.00 for my camshaft sensor, truck has now been in the shop for over a month with issues
they are now having to replace the control solenoid sensor which apparently is covered.... doesnt make a lot of sense but just so you know the p0349, 0345, 0018 is NOT covered... They have had to replace the gasket and a bunch of other things that were

Old 12-13-2023, 04:40 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
You'd have better luck posting in your model specific forum for better results.

Also this thread is 17 years old my friend

The following 2 users liked this post by joe blow:

Quick Reply: Cam Position Sensor covered under engine warranty, Crank Position Sensor is not?