1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 7.3 died on road

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 AM
swunderle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 7.3 died on road

hello everyone. my friends 97 F250 died on the road the other day while going 75. we pulled the codes and got a cam sensor fault. replaced the sensor with a new one from NAPA to the tune of 200.00 had to pay the price because it was sunday. but truck does still not run and gives a cam sensor fault. Is there a certain place the wiring breakes or something else to look for? thanks..

Old 09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the wiring for several inches back from the CPS. This is where most of the breaks occur. To be safe, ohm the entire CPS harness.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
swunderle
Junior User
died

ok.. ohmed the cps harness no problems tried a known good cps still no start.
when cranking there is some white smoke comming from the tailpipe, so I guess I am getting fuel.. any suggestions.. going to check fuel pressure now.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
the most overlooked system on the powerstroke is the oil!

ANY time you have a no start condition and you can turn the motor over check the oil, and not just whats in the pan. unscrew the plug from the top of the HPOP and make sure it is full of oil. if the level is too low it wont fire and will sometimes throw some really off-key codes.

i have helped get several of my buddies trucks going again and 9 times out of 10 it was the oil!

what is the numerical code the scanner is pullin??

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
swunderle
Junior User
340 and 344 I think..

Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
swunderle
Junior User
if the oil is low do you just top it off with fresh oil? and does that mean the hpop is going bad?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Flea
Elder User
From my experience the first thing we did is add a quart of oil. most of the time it runs after. I can't remember what the sensor is called that checks the oil level prior to starting.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
yea just take a piece of paper or note card (they work best, small and thick) and make a funnel and just pour slowly to top it off.

you thinking of the IPR? The PCM controls the high pressure oil system by varying the duty cycle of the IPR. The IPR controls the oil bypass circuit of the high pressure pump. 0%=full return to sump (open valve), 100%=full flow to injectors (closed valve). The PCM monitors the system with the ICP input. The PCM can control fuel delivery to the injectors by increasing the IPR duty cycle which increases fule pressure through the injector nozzels.

not necessarily, the HPOP is actually usually good. just when you crank on it the oil level in the HPOP tends to drop, a lot of times too far to get her started again

-cutts-

Old 09-11-2006, 05:52 PM
swunderle
Junior User
running

ok.. fuel pressure was good, hpop was full and good pressure. truck would still not fire. got frustrated and gave the truck a shot of sttartingh fluid and it started and ran fine. took it on the road no problem. turned it off and restarted several times with no trouble. now I am at a loss.. guess we will see if it starts in the AM

Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
headshake182
New User
Had this happen several years ago.... 70mph... engine quit, check engine light came on....
Pulled off and after a while it restarted, went 1/4 mile and quit again... did this for about a mile to the nearest off ramp...
Wife read the owners mannual and suggested I check oil level... I did, it was OVER full..
I drained a little over 1 quart, got it back to proper level, it started and we finished the trip .... never had the problem since.