Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What i did today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 PM
THE KING
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What i did today!

Hey, From all of your help and what i heard to do, this is what i did today.

I started with unbolting the one bolt to the exhaust and takin the metal pins out of the rubber clams, And i droped the exhuast onto the axle and so i could just hear it with the muffler off.

Then i took of the waistgate vaccum line and stuck the end on one of the intercooler tube bolts.

I started it up and i could NOT believe the difference!! Turbo all the time durring idle, I was just amazed.

There are a couple problems tho, This is my dads truck and he wont let me do it, so i went over my friends house lol. And second i heard u should get guages.

My friends sisters boyfriend has a 1997 Powerstroke and he has all that done and he went to a shop and they said you dont need guages. I dont know im the kind of person who likes to see wuts going on. And if i didnt get guages, and did take the exhaust off and even if i didnt take off the waistgate vaccum line ( i didnt rly hear a difference when i had the exhaust off and the vaccum line off to havin the line on) So if i just left it on but the muffler off, would i still need guages and is it bad for the truck. Or can i trust it to take me 400 miles and nothing to happen to it??? Thanks

Old 09-09-2006, 05:24 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
if i understood you correctly

you took your dads muffler off after he told you not too at your friends house?

then you are wanting to know if it will hurt anything to drive it without gauges and the muffler off?

i dont know if i should answer those for you or not. messing with another mans truck is not cool especially your dads. unless he gives you permission.

if i was you . i would read up here on everything that way you can inform your dad on how these trucks operate and what makes them better. instead of just going for it. you dont want to mess up the motor trust me these motors cost $ 10,000 to replace.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
THE KING
I did and i didnt hear anything about hurting it. And the guy who helped me knows a little about diesels and he said it wouldnt. IM just simply makin sure.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:30 PM
THE KING
And he didnt say i couldnt, he said ask someone who knows what there doing first.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:34 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
running without a muffler will not hurt anything. just make sure the outlet isnt pointed at anything where it could burn it, IE cables or plastic wires. make sure you come back to at least the transmission cross member, you need to get it back past that. it has to be BEHIND the rear of the cab to be legal, but i ran mine configured in the pic below for 3 weeks, and i didnt get any crap from it. it sounded actually too obnoxious for me.. not the whistle, but the hissing and fluttering exahust note was not deep enough for me.

no, you dont need gauges to do what you need to do, however before you add power you should have them, especially if you like to know what is happening.

here is the routing of my exhaust when i was waiting for my stacks to come in.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...91838520nHUVat

Old 09-09-2006, 05:36 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Pulling the muffler wont hurt anything, pull the wastegate line, can cause the bushing in the turbo to premature wear out. Gauges are one of the first things to get for these truck if you plan on modding them.l

Old 09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
he has a stock tune still on his truck, so disconnecting the wastegate actuation will not hurt it, you can probably get 21psi max. if you can hit 25psi once you chip it, then reconnect the wastegate. sure, a big boost number sounds cool, but with the design of the compressor, above 25psi it gets really inefficient, and it just superheats the air. 20psi of (relatively) cool air is better than 30 psi of air that is 200* hotter.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
THE KING
Thankyou strokin it and john, Thats all i needed. No other bull u know wut like the first one, it rly scared the ***** out of me! But where that first disconnect thing of the muffler, where that bolt is. I was thinkin of just addin a curved pipe and puttin it WAIT, I got an idear. How the pipe goes over the axle, and goes to that turn and then the tip. If i cut it off to where that curve goes and the tip, Get a pipe bigger than 3 1/2 inch pipe, i dont know what that would be but just welding it on there. The only thing is is my wheel might get a little more dirtier from the smoke, but its also leagal cause its behind the cab. I dont knwo about the muffler part but i dont think michigan has to big of a problem about that. Il just show my dad wut it sounds like. IM sure hell like it. Thankyou for the help.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:06 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Hey me and you basically neighbors i live in romeo/almont area. Ive never been pulled over in my truck for noise compliates or anything and i used to go with the 5" side pipe no mufflers and my foot is to the floor all the time. Worked well but it made the wheel look like crap but now its all good with the stacks.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
THE KING
Yea i ran my 79 bronco with a 460 with open headers for 2 weeks back and forth to school, a cop went by id just get off the gas. I showed that bronco last year at the almont car show. Me and an orange blaser where the only trucks and i took 1st. It was dark red with a white top lifted and superswampers. If you was there youd know. I was also in the parade. But thanks for all your help.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:20 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by John311t
Hey me and you basically neighbors i live in romeo/almont area.
did you know that Kid Rock is from Romeo, Michigan?

Old 09-09-2006, 06:20 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I may be mistaken but i think that orange blazer is my buddy uncles. I wasnt there i had to work. When i ran my old 80 chevy with the 350 on open header for a day an almont cop wheeled me for it the next day to say some parents where complaining about it being too loud but they couldnt prove anything the exhuast was back on.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Yeah i know kid rock from here, there is a rumor his new house is being built like 5 miles away from mine but im not sure about it being his. Its pretty big house in the middle of a field.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 PM
THE KING
LOL well your friend dont have anything to worrie bout now cause i sold that truck lol. Thats kool that kid rock is buildin a house rite next to u, now all u need to do is get a scope or somethin that u can see stuff 5 miles away so you can u know see his wife lol. You might not even need those tho haha.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:57 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I dont know because it just a big rumor. That would be awesome, ill just drive my truck through the field on a muddy day so when the they start chasin me i can just drive though the muddy field as escape! Another big rumor was the he was at the mud bog that goes on in brown city. He was in a hummer later at night when it was closed but he never got out, his body gaurds did then he left.

Quick Reply: What i did today!