Roadtrip, Local advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadtrip, Local advice needed

Hi All

I usually hang out on the 48-60 forum but would appreciate some advice.

I shall be visiting the USA with my Girlfriend for two weeks holiday (vacation) from the UK in a few weeks time.

I arrive in Dallas on the 21st September and will head up to Memphis then Nashville, then head back to Austin via New Orleans if time allows.

The main focus of the trip is music as we love Country, Bluegrass and Blues but would also like to find any Car / Truck shows, Cruise nights, Museums speed shops etc.

Any other recommendations of things to do or places to visit will be much appreciated

Steve

Old 09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
rboeding
Senior User
Don't miss Beal in Memphis. Remember, Friday or Saturday night and nothing really starts till 9:00. There may be some special events happening when you are here but generally you just walk the street and stop in when you hear something you like. The special events are usually expensive - like $75 per person for BB King.

While you are here spend the money for the Graceland tour. I have lived here all my life and always thought that was a joke till I took some visitors through and decided that it was well worth the trip and money.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:08 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Deep Ellum in Dallas is also good for blues and is much different then the blues that you would get from Austin and the blues that is played in Deep Ellum is the true Texas blues and Austin blues is more like Chicago style blues. In Deep Ellum you'll hear more slide guitar like you would from Beale Street, but in Austin they use alot of electric guitar(which is what Stevie Ray Vaughn is known for, even though he is not as true Texas blues singer compared to his brother Jimmie Vaughn). In case you didn't guess I'm a big blues fan, particularly of true Texas blues(Blind Willie Johnson is my favorite, but that's going way back in the years).

Old 09-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I live in the Memphis area and would recommend what rboeding has. If you go to Nashville of course you have to visit the Grande Ole Opry. It has gone "real" commercial these days, but the music is great. I wiish you had time to go a little farther east in TN and see the Great Smoky Mtns. They are at least 4 hours east of Nashville. There is a lot of bluegrass in that area. No one place that I can think of, but the area is full of country and bluegrass.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Steve_B
Senior User
Thanks for the replys

I shall be in Memphis for Friday night, I just have to decide if I should stay for Saturday or travel on to Nashville

I am a big blues fan, I like most styles but technically I dont think anyone could touch SRV. Is Jimmy vaughn still playing around Austin

fifty4f100, as another 54 owner I like tour truck a lot.
The smoky mountains look great I have been trying to get to the F100 supernationals at Knoxville for the last two years but work and family commitments have got in the way, next year should be OK

Thanks again

Steve

Old 09-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
If your going to be in Memphis Friday make sure and pick up a Commercial Appeal (location newspaper). If you are staying in a hotel, they should be complimentary. Look in the Playbook section for what might be going on and where its going on.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I just looked at your gallery. Cool truck! I have the Yblock 239 in mine. I'm not so sure that I would want to have the flathead! The 54 yblock is an orphan. It was used here until the early part of the 55 model year, then a 256 for an even shorter time, then the 272 that was used for another 8 years. They changed the distributor in 57 and got a lot better. But you probably already know all of this.

Hope you have a great trip over here. Word of warning -- if you have a thick British accent, there are some (especially the crowd at Beale Street) that would mug you for just being a tourist! Don't carry all your money at one time!!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:31 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Jimmie Vaughn still plays at a couple of the bigger Austin blues places. I do think he will be in Dallas though at the Lakewood Theatre. I think it's somtime at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. Atleast I had heard that thru the grapevine.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Me again! I found this doing a "car show tennessee" search on Yahoo:

Collierville,
Tennessee September 30, 2006
CLASSIC CAR & BIKE SHOW
PRESENTED BY THE COLLIERVILLE POLICE DEPT.
DATE: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2006
TIME: REGISTRATION AT 7:30 TO 12 NOON
TROPHY PRESENTATION AT 4:00 P.M.
ENTRY FEE: $20.00 PER ENTRY (DONATION TO SPECIAL OLYMPICS).....
DASH PLAQUES TO FIRST 250 CARS...
DOOR PRIZES, CASH DRAWINGS & FOOD
100% OF THE PROCEEDS GO TO THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS OF TENNESSEE...
LOCATION: 2005 WINCHESTER (1 BLOCK WEST OF BAILEY STATION) COLLIERVILLE TN 38017
CENTRAL CHURCH PARKING LOT....

THIS SHOW HAS BECOME ONE OF THE BIGGEST SHOW IN THE AREA. LAST YEAR WE HAS OVER 500 CARS. THIS IS ONE SHOW THAT YOU WILL KEEP COMING BACK TO EVERY YEAR...THIS IS THE 7TH YEAR FOR THIS SHOW...100% OF PROCEEDS GOT TO THE KIDS.

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT THE FOLLOWING:
CHARLES SHAW AT 901-853-5468
KATHY DUNCAN AT 901-854-9896
COLLIERVILLE POLICE DEPT. (PUBLIC RELATIONS) AT
901-457-2560

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know about this. I might try to make it! Collierville is an upscale suburb of Memphis on the southeast side of Shelby county.