New Hampshire Chapter Join Chapter Leader: 7283-F250

new guy with a few questions MA

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
84 400
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy with a few questions MA

I am looking at getting a 78 ford f250 4x4 lowboy. The truck runs real well and needs alot of work. What will it need to do to pass inspection? It does not smoke it has belts and they all the lights work. does it need a ed? if so i am gonna build one but if i could get away with just thhrowing on some tail lights i would rather do that for right now.

ahhh now for the fun stuff. I live up hear in northern ma and i want to do some wheeling with the truck when done. i don't want to beat it up but it would be nice to get her coated in some mud. I have gone to tempelton mass with one of my buddies and have also beeen to some state park in maine??? i don't know were...... is there any local places in the state were i won't get a ticket? Thanks

I know of the mass mudders and all that but i don't really have the time to join.... i just want to go wheeling and not have to worry about the cops. Any places near the lowell area?

thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 06:04 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 84 400
I am looking at getting a 78 ford f250 4x4 lowboy. The truck runs real well and needs alot of work. What will it need to do to pass inspection? It does not smoke it has belts and they all the lights work. does it need a ed? if so i am gonna build one but if i could get away with just thhrowing on some tail lights i would rather do that for right now.

ahhh now for the fun stuff. I live up hear in northern ma and i want to do some wheeling with the truck when done. i don't want to beat it up but it would be nice to get her coated in some mud. I have gone to tempelton mass with one of my buddies and have also beeen to some state park in maine??? i don't know were...... is there any local places in the state were i won't get a ticket? Thanks

I know of the mass mudders and all that but i don't really have the time to join.... i just want to go wheeling and not have to worry about the cops. Any places near the lowell area?

thanks
I believe you need a Bed, Bumpers, all lights working, Horn, Wipers, Decent tires and no rotted through cab parts.. these are a minimum, there may be more..
You can just build a flatbed out of wood, but I beleive wood can't be used for the bumpers unless reinforced with steel.

Don't know of any places in northern ma to go wheeling..

Maybe the Ma Mudders website has some info you can access without having to join..

Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
84 400
Junior User
i have a steal bumper on it now so buildin a wood flat bed will take no time. cab has some small holes hear and there but i plan on fiberglassing them after cutting out the rust cause i don't have a welder. I would join the mass mudders but i can not make it to the meetings they hold and i know that is somthing thy frown upon. They have some nice spots but with out there sticker you can get a ticket if the police catch you on there land. Also if i paint it flat black do you think MA will give me crap?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
i have a steal bumper on it now so buildin a wood flat bed will take no time. cab has some small holes hear and there but i plan on fiberglassing them after cutting out the rust cause i don't have a welder. I would join the mass mudders but i can not make it to the meetings they hold and i know that is somthing thy frown upon. They have some nice spots but with out there sticker you can get a ticket if the police catch you on there land. Also if i paint it flat black do you think MA will give me crap?
They don't care what color you paint it.. It can be multicolored for all they care.. They are mainly concerned with safety items..

Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM
84 400
Junior User
yeah i was just wondering cause i heard the registry charges a fee for changing color.... I really want to find some mud spots in the area. southern NH or even in ma. The main goal is some mud and light stuff cause the truckis bone stock with older snow tires. My freind who had the winch movied to MI so i don't really feel like getting stuck but that is one of the fun pointsof wheeling. I know of a spot in North andover Ma but i think it is not leagal. alot of jeeps go there so it is pretty torn up. i also heard of a place in Tweaksbury? i am just ooking for a spot in southern Nh or northern ma that i can go because if i get stuck i want to be close enough to the tow vehical. Thanks for the input on the sticker guys.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:10 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Just hang out awhile and someone will come along and invite you to a 4x4 club.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Drag_N_Fly_One
Junior User
I really want to find some mud spots in the area. I know of a spot in North andover Ma but i think it is not leagal. alot of jeeps go there so it is pretty torn up. i also heard of a place in Tweaksbury? i am just ooking for a spot in southern Nh or northern ma that i can go because if i get stuck i want to be close enough to the tow vehical. Thanks for the input on the sticker guys.
Ok, as a property owner in Maine I want to offer some suggestions. I personally don't allow 4wheelers or snowmobiles on my property. It's posted. Yet every year I get the odd few who choose to ignore such postings and run down through the powerlines cuz they think it's a shortcut.

1) Just because it's a powerline does not make it PUBLIC property. I own the land the power lines go on... the power company has a Right of Way to maintain their lines.... IT IS NOT public domain.

2) No matter where you go u should always do your home work and A) find out who owns the land, and B) get written permission to use it.

We get people from mass coming up here all the time. They pull into their rental properties. Unload the 4wheelers or snowmobiles and head right down the driveways and properties without even asking anyone if it's alright.

That's a great way to make friends!

Just my 2 cents. thnx

Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 PM
84 400
Junior User
thanks for your reply. the last thing i want to do is tear up some land that people don't want thatway. I just want to find some space were i can play with the truck. As i stated i went to a place in southren maine with my buddy a few months ago. they seemed like fire roads and suck people were out shooting quadding and playing in the dirt. we met up with some other offroad truck who had blown there rear axles apart. I am just using this threade to see if anyone knows a place to play around and not get in trouble.

thanks

Old 09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Drag_N_Fly_One
Junior User
thanks for your reply. the last thing i want to do is tear up some land that people don't want thatway. I just want to find some space were i can play with the truck. As i stated i went to a place in southren maine with my buddy a few months ago. they seemed like fire roads and suck people were out shooting quadding and playing in the dirt. we met up with some other offroad truck who had blown there rear axles apart. I am just using this threade to see if anyone knows a place to play around and not get in trouble.

thanks

Oh i know what you're up to, and I think you're doing it right to start with. I think what I'm trying to say is... don't always trust your buddies have properly checked out who's land your havin your fun on.
I get that excuse all the time... Well so n so down the street said it was no problem... when it is a problem.

I'll tell you one other thing... at least in ME ... Snowmobile trails are almost always off limits to 4wheelers big n small. The clubs have done the work getting land owner permissions, complying with their wishes, complying with state regs, doing summer maintenance as well as winter grooming and marking.

I not interested in spoiling anyones fun. I'm all for it. I'm just hoping that if I post some things here it will save you or someone else from meeting up with a shotgun that has an angry land owner behind it.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM
84 400
Junior User
thanks for the reply. If anyone knows of a place i am all ears. MAss NH MAine even please let me know. Thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
77f2504by4
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pretty much 4 wheeling is dead in new england. unless you join a club, theres almost nothing, 95% of all the old trails have been blocked off by huge boulders, or they put sub development in where they used to be.