6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Would you buy a new Ford Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 PM
akeric
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a new Ford Diesel?

Hi folks. Newbie here.

So would you buy a new Ford with the 6.0 L diesel?

I'm seeing some good prices on a new 2006 Crew Cab F250 4x4 6spd base model truck with 3.73 gears. Haven't owned a new truck in a long time and I'm getting tired of wrenching on old trucks. Last Ford was a '89 F150 4x4 with the straight 6. Good truck.

For me it's gonna be a daily commuter at 30 miles a day total and used to carry the whole family including 4 kids and the dog for hunting, fishing camping and scouts. No real hard work or heavy towing. A couple snow machines would be about max. Dependability is much more important than performance, decent economy say 16-18mpg would be nice.

It will see lots of winter use here in Alaska but the winter temps don't go much below -20 around here. Just lots of days at 0 to 20 every winter.

I'm also considering the 5.4l gasser in the crew cab.

A new truck is a major investment for our family so I'm trying to get a feel for how good these trucks are from you folks who have been there, done that, before I jump. Have you been satisfied with your Ford 6.0?

Thanks.
Eric

Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Eric,
I have always been a Chevrolet guy, my '03 is my first new Ford (truck). Even as problematic as some of the '03's were, I love my truck, it has been relatively trouble free, and I believe the '06's are much superior. I wouldn't drive a 5.4 if it was given to me, although I would sell it to someone else. Several of my family members have owned 5.4 and v10 trucks, and in my opinion are fuel guzzling dogs. Drive them both, you probably will not buy a gasser.

Tim

Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 PM
MIKE1646
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and it would drive in the city 280 miles with a full tank.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE Eric.
Much has been debated about buying a diesel vs gas. Personal preference is the final factor. I know the guys in Alaska do quite a few things to keep the diesels in top shape for cold weather....plus an additional item like Astro-Start remote starting systems, I do like mine for cold weather.

Enjoy FTE & set back in a comfortable chair.....you have allot of reading to do

Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 AM
BarebackJD
Junior User
Oh man, I was nervious when the 6.0 came out. I resurched trucks hard core for 2 years during the switch from the 7.3 to the 6.0. I could resite everything about ford trucks- cubic inches, bore diameter, stroke length, injector specifics...everything. When I finally saved up the money and bought my '04, I was pretty confident in the truck, but only pretty confident. Well, after 2 1/2 years and allot of miles, I'll saddle up right now and drive that truck anywhere, and hook up to anything! I love it! I've never had any major problems, the fuel mileage is good (break in is very important for that though!!!!!), and it is a blast to drive. And that's an '04, the '06's are even better. I wouldn't be afraid of the engine if that's what you're worried about. It'll get you 16+mpg no problem. I've gone from 70 degrees in Miss to below freezing temps in Mich in the same day, and never noticed a thing. My truck will sit for two weeks in 0-20 degre weather and start up like a champ, plugged in or not (little grunt when not). Now, I'm not saying the gasser isn't the truck for you, but I know that I get better fuel economy and have ten times the truck as my dad and his 1/2 ton gasser. Hope this helped some.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I must say I about pinned my nose into the windshield of an 06 my buddy bought....those 06's have brakes.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 AM
dapgar
Senior User
I just did, last week. 2006 left over. still got my 97 7.3 to fall back on.
i think every manufacturer has it's issues. ford just ends up getting beat up a lot.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akeric
For me it's gonna be a daily commuter at 30 miles a day total and used to carry the whole family including 4 kids and the dog for hunting, fishing camping and scouts. No real hard work or heavy towing. A couple snow machines would be about max. Dependability is much more important than performance, decent economy say 16-18mpg would be nice.

One thing to remember about diesels is that they take a awhile to heat up. 15 miles one way, the engine will barley get the chill out of it. I think you might be better off with a gasser unless log better than 15K a year on the truck. It will not be driven enough. You'll read on this site people get better milage with the V10 over the V8. There are a few threads on this subject already, start read'n. If your future plans include a large trailer or a six place enclosed, then by all means buy the diesel.

And yes I would buy new Ford diesel.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 AM
deacjrt
Elder User
Yes, buy buy buy.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Looking at the economical side of things. Most of us enjoy the diesel so I would have no problem with purchasing another one. I would never consider a 1/2 ton unless it had a supercharger

The new V-10 is impressive and if your not pulling a heavy trailer the diesel is overkill. Your trade in value on diesels are very good. Maintenance costs are higher but over time the diesel will last longer than a gas engine. If your a do-it-yourself person it makes the diesel more affordable.

Since I no longer drag around an enclosed race car trailer my truck has become more of a hobby. I would have to drive a new gasser to really decide my next purchase, but then again I remember all the problems I don't have now with my diesel......Ah...so many decisions, Yes/No Maybe...all of the above. Bottom line is how deep your wallet will allow you to go. If it is an issue of keeping food on the table or buying a new diesel, don't extend yourself to limits you may regret financially.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Enomra
Elder User
akeric: As one of the verry first owners of the 6.0 (I bought mine in Dec 02) and having several problems with it and recently trading it in for an 06 KR I would definately concider buying one. I loved my 2003 except for the problems of course and now with one of the last 6.0's I can see the evolution of these trucks and I am puzzled by how much they have inproved in the last 4 years. I never thought they would be able to make a beter truck than the 2003 I had; boy was I wrong. The 2006 is by far the best truck I have ever been able to drive and I honestly beleive they have all of the bugs worked out. (I am knocking on my solid oak desk) I have also owned a V10 and I liked it but you will become familiar with all of the Liquid Petroleum Dispensing Techs in your area. They love the fuel....... Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash687
One thing to remember about diesels is that they take a awhile to heat up. 15 miles one way, the engine will barley get the chill out of it. I think you might be better off with a gasser unless log better than 15K a year on the truck. It will not be driven enough. You'll read on this site people get better milage with the V10 over the V8. There are a few threads on this subject already, start read'n. If your future plans include a large trailer or a six place enclosed, then by all means buy the diesel.

And yes I would buy new Ford diesel.
I agree with Crash, you may be better off with the V-10 for your stated uses. The 6.0 needs to be driven hard, by that I mean it was not designed to be a commuter engine, but to tow and pull heavy loads on a regular basis. Some will disagree, but I believe those that have had few or no issues have used their trucks for towing and pulling heavy loads, or at least they drive them hard.

Maybe the 07 trucks have different programming so this reasoning does not apply?

To answer your question, my truck has been flawless and I would buy another 6.0 PSD without hesitation.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:00 PM
tazo
Elder User
Having owned a 97 F250 7.3 PSD and now have a 05 F350 6.0 PSD I would not even hesitate to buy another. I commute 70 miles a day for work. I tow a horse trailer on the weekends. This truck just loves to work. The harder it is pushed the better it runs. When my buddy saw the new truck his comment was "welcome to the 21st century" Never a ford related problem with 25,000 miles.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Bud in Texas
Junior User
Another side issue to consider is fuel cost. In Texas, diesel is running 50 - 80 cents per gallon more than gas. As much as I like my truck, I'm driving my Jeep TJ now. I drive 130 miles per day so I REALLY miss the truck.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Another thought . . .

The '07/08 models are suppose to be out in Jan and there is suppose to be a small diesel in an F150. You might look into that as I believe diesel is the way to go after owning an '00 & '03 F150 SC Lariat's. Gret trucks but dropped major mpg when fully loaded compared to the F 250 6.o Lariat King Ranch I have now.

Go get em" . . .

Quick Reply: Would you buy a new Ford Diesel?