1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

EGR DPFFE and stuttering at 40-47mph

Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
orcasmagical
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb EGR DPFFE and stuttering at 40-47mph

Alright. I've read practically every post about my EGR system, and how my EGR valve can be cleaned. Did that. My CEL is still there even after reset. I'm not a engine guru, so...i come to you guys. Ok...next:

I'm not too keen on replacing a part that's $65 - either the DPFE (or whatever it's late) or my EGR. My main point of this post...gosh, I haven't posted here in forever. Sorry bout that mates...

My main point is my CEL is on, and my codes threw it to my EGR. Can't remember the Valve or the Switch. BUT - when I'm cruising down the road between 40-47mph - my truck is SURGING. Like it's almost a timing issue, slipping belt, misfire, something.

Belts have good tension. Checked that out. There was slight squelling on intial starts, but we examined the belt and noted it was due to moisture buildup. But - it still could be my belts I suppose.

Engine: 4.0 SOHC
Year: 01
Miles: 75k

I know there are a million and one answers and what ifs - but, would my EGR system really be causing these surges? The last major thing done to my vehicle is I replaced my Sparkplugs. Well - 5 of the 6 of them. My shop did the last one - what a bugger! Anyways, could that be causing my surges? Truck runs fine - despite it sometimes KILLS when I come down from speed to an idle. I just don't get that - has been doing that for years. Almost died...
No sudden decrease in gas mileage, and the surging only happens in that speed. Well, that I can tell anyways.

Would me replacing my DPFE sensor, and/or EGR valve fix my speed surges, or what else could it be? Or is it probably my belt - or my spark? Sparing the details, I'll still drive my truck till the day she dies. But - I figure I might as well try and learn something along the way. Thanks in Advance.

-simon

Last edited by orcasmagical; 09-06-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Did you test any of the EGR systems?

The testing is very informative and will help you eliminate problems.

I can't see EGR problems causing surging, typically EGR problems manifest as knock and ping under load. As to the dying after coming off acceleration, I would take a look at the IAC, it handles the throttle when the engine comes to an idle condition. It usually manifests as rough idle or dying at the stop line though.

I think there is also some speed sensors in there as well, perhaps there is a dirty sensor in the tranny that or exhaust that is giving the computer false information.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
My '99 4 cyl. did the same thing (code P0402) excessive EGR Flow. I replaced the DPFE sensor which fixed the problem. You can check the EGR Valve easily. Get a piece of vacuum hose that fits the vacuum port on the EGR Valve and attach it place of the one on the truck. Start the engine; it should idle smoothly. Apply oral suction to the new hose, it should activate the EGR and cause very rough idle or even kill the engine. If it does, then EGR Valve is likely OK so return hoses to normal. Next, remove the two hoses (from the ports on the EGR tube) that go to the DPFE sensor and make sure you can feel exhaust gas pulses from both ports. if not, you may have blockages in the ports or EGR tube. Search for DPFE in this forum or others for additional checks. OBTW, (1) About 2 mpg increase on first tank of gas after replacing the DPFE and (2) Search DPFE on the internet for more info.

Last edited by Piffery1; 09-06-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:33 PM
orcasmagical
New User
So you replaced your DPFE sensor and the surging stopped? Am I gathering that right?

I cleaned my EGR, and the exhausting tubing best i could of the carbon build-up. I checked for leaking from the DPFE sensor - before I started testing this (granted it's what is pulling the code, I understand) but my thought was why the surging? I don't have emisions checks here - so an EGR valve or DPFE switch that is out - no biggie, I can replace that anytime. But my point is, would that be the nailing to the surging? I'm not going to go ahead and fix it if a larger problem is at hand first.

I'll look into my IAC and other things mentioned - more researching for me. Which is fine.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Yes. Before I changed out the DPFE the surging/hesitation had gotten to the point that it would occasionly cause the 4R44E transmission to shift out of OD and/or cruise. Mine was most noticable right at 55 mph. Can't say yours is the same problem but it sure sounds similar. I don't have any test data to back this up, but it seems like the DPFE was somehow causing the EGR Valve to switch from open to closed and back 3 or 4 times in rapid succession then operate normally for several minutes up to several weeks. It almost always set a code usually P0402 but once or twice P0401.

Last edited by Piffery1; 09-07-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Click this link for some really good DPFE info: http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/Ra...tage-Test.html

Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 AM
orcasmagical
New User
Originally Posted by Piffery1
Click this link for some really good DPFE info: http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/Ra...tage-Test.html
I already looked at that, and my impression that was for the 5.0 or 4.6 as it stated - and the curve test would be different for my 4.0. I'll try it anyways, thanks.

my bad - thats for the aluminum housing. I have the plastic one...which is states "all ohers". Anyways - I'm pretty sure my DPFE is bad, and if it will solve my surging and fix my CEL, I'm just giong to replace it. It's pretty simple and probably should be fixed anyways.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE Orcasmagial. Im glad you chose the best site on the net for Ford Trucks. See you on the boards!!!

Matt

Old 09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
As it were, I replaced the DPFE because it totally quit working; fixing the "stutter" was one of the results. Get the P/N off your old one and look it up online at Autozone, AZ was the cheapest in my area. OBTW, mine was aluminum.

Last edited by Piffery1; 09-07-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:42 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 99 3.0 Mazda was stuttering and had the EGR alarm. Luckily I found out here about the DPFE and changed it and the problem went away and the light stayed off. My old one was alum and the new one was plastic which is suppose to be the better one.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:21 PM
orcasmagical
New User
Originally Posted by oldgoat49
My 99 3.0 Mazda was stuttering and had the EGR alarm. Luckily I found out here about the DPFE and changed it and the problem went away and the light stayed off. My old one was alum and the new one was plastic which is suppose to be the better one.
alright - so I'm searching on ebay...and none of the parts that match my 9j460-AB dpfe sensor...look ANYTHING like the one in my hand.

Can someone please tell me if this is what they have in their 2001 4.0 SOHC ranger? And if you replaced it...what does the replacement one look like?

http://myweb.cableone.net/simonsay/images/5.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/simonsay/images/2.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/simonsay/images/3.jpg

sorry about the blokey quality, it's a camera phone. less of a camera, and lately even less of a phone.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
You need to search with all characters of your part number, example: F77Z-9J460-AB. Decode Ford P/N's: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO2fordpartsdecode.html

Last edited by Piffery1; 09-08-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 AM
orcasmagical
New User
thanks man! thats exactly my problem - and look at that. it states that a new part number goes along with it - definately not the same part number!

Also - today I was just pissed at the DPFE sensor bit, kept her off, shut the hood, and took off. She ran like a DREAM! (no stutter, better shifting than I've EVER felt) but, i could hear the air whooshing out like a steam motor LOL. I'll see if I can find that part! Thanks!

Old 09-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR DPFFE and stuttering at 40-47mph