Sponsored by:

Keep/buy 6.0 or buy new 6.4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep/buy 6.0 or buy new 6.4?

I’ve read many posts about the benefits of 6.0 PSD vs. 6.4 PSD. I just received my new copy of Diesel Power Magazine and there is a very good article on new 6.4 PSD and ULSD fuel. From what I read the new PSD will have more emission controls, sensors and may even require smog checks like the gassers. And you know what that means..... Making any huge mods/programming requires unplugging everything and putting back to stock before your smog check. Just in the early days of the 70's muscle car era. 1972 brought in smog pumps, Pollution Control Valves (PCV's) etc. Along with lower octane gas and.... lower horse power. Though the new PSD makes more power and torque than the 6.0 little brother, they had to bore out the 6.0 to 6.4 and slap on another turbo to get the additional power. There's allot more issues that I'm not touching on, due to lack of information and length of this post. So, would you "strokers" out there keep the 6.0 and buy a new 6.4? Or you 7.3 owners trade up to a 6.0 or 6.4? (Personally, if I had a 7.3, I would probably stick with that). Or you none Diesel owners thinking of buying a Diesel, buy the 2006 6.0 or buy a 2007/2008 6.4 PSD? Just wondering what you guy's think.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
my opinion: go 6.0

We were happily waiting for the new 6.4 a few months back when I started reading about all the emission changes (and extra parts to fail) that would be coming with them. Decided to buy a 6.0 almost immediately, then we went back and forth on the better pricing on '06 vs. getting the latest rev. of the 6.0 in an '07 (plus getting exactly what we wanted if we ordered one). We ended up ordering a new '07 from Polarbear and have had it just over a week now. The more I read about what's coming next year (just went through cover to cover my copy of DP mag too), the more I'm convinced we did the right thing.

I wouldn't touch the new 6.4 or any other '07 compliant diesel for at least a year, and maybe more, until they prove to be reliable (and my bet is that they won't be in the long run, mostly emission related failures is what I'd also bet).

I've always gone by the: more complexity = more failure potential -- rule

Just my opinion and what we decided to do...

Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 PM
shdwlkr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I got the deal they had on the 06 6L diesel for two reasons 1 the 0% and the fact the new EPA engines aren't flying yet with hardly and diesel maker. What does that tell you. The government screwed us again and I wonder how many will loose their jobs because of this stupidity.
I really hope the new 6.4 is a great engine from the get go but from what is leaking out it is worse then the 6.0 was when it first came out. I would wait at least 2-4 years to see just how good these new engines are.
Like others have said the more crap you put on an engine the worse the mileage and the harder to maintain. Doesn't seem right to me to buy more headaches.
my 3cents

Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 AM
schmity
Senior User
I'm sure that this has been answered, but what was the reason for doing away with the 7.3. And why, if they needed a bigger block, didn't they just go back to the 7.3 instead of spending all the money on developing a new engine? The way it looks to me dodge and chevy have both passed ford. Will the new cummins 6.7 be a completely new engine or did it already exist.

As for me I am happy with my modded 7.3. I mostly tow with it, and have never seen a need for any more power than I have. I think if I had to buy a truck right now I would go with a 6-speed dodge (Thank goodness I don't need one right now).

Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
MIKE1646
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I was going to wait on the 6.4 but the 0% got me so I'm on the 06

Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
As with all new equipment. I always wait for one year after it comes out so they (manufacturer) gets the bugs out and I'm not stuck without the equipment (truck) for a period of time.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
jiro
New User
Big Dually

I have a 7.3 and it's been a dang good 'un. Problem is it's a 96 250 with over 367,000 miles on it. The truck appears excellent and the engine would take me across country tonight. Trouble is- the axles, bearings and stuff like that.I love the truck and the engine is great but with that many miles i'm afraid to take it out on the road on a trip. I've been waiting for Ford to get rid of that piece of junk 6.0 and thought that they were in '07. Now it looks like early next year before it's going to be available. Then who knows the 6.4 might not be worth a hoot.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schmity
I'm sure that this has been answered, but what was the reason for doing away with the 7.3. And why, if they needed a bigger block, didn't they just go back to the 7.3 instead of spending all the money on developing a new engine? The way it looks to me dodge and chevy have both passed ford. Will the new cummins 6.7 be a completely new engine or did it already exist.
From what I have read here and in Diesel Power Magazine, the 7.3 did not meet the EPA requirements, and it was a 2 valve push rod engine. So International developed a smaller, more powerfull 6.0 with 4 valves. It was smaller than the 7.3 , supposed to get better MPG and was going to be the silver bullet for Dodge and Chebbie. Though, it is a very good engine, it had some issues when it first came out. I have a 4-28-04 engine biuld with zero problems, only a two recalls in which I received excellent service for. So not all the 6.0's have issues. There are a lot of posters and trollers who love to stir the pot and would have you belive otherwise.

The Cummins 6.7 is nothing more than a bored out 5.9 with lots of smog stuff. The larger bore is to make up for the lost power with all the additional smog devices. The same is true for the 6.0 PSD, more smog devices takes away power so International bored the 6.0 to 6.4 and added another turbo. I'm not sure what GM has in store for the Duramax. It's my understanding that the 6.6 Duramax will meet the EPA for 2007 with additional smog devices, not sure on the power output though. This years Duramax is the most powerfull out there. It's nothing more than a tuned Duramax with more aggresive tuning profile. It's also my understanding that the programmers for this new Duramax do not provide much more power over stock, since the fuel mapping and timing are allready programmed very high. All this Diesel power wars are being compared to the end of the muscle car era in 1972. that was the year of lower octane fuel, smog pumps, pollution control valves etc.

Last edited by Big Dually; 09-20-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 AM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Dually, If you are in need of a new vehicle within the next 12 months, I'd recommend buying an 06/07 6.0 now. Great incentives and IMO the 6.0 truly has the bugs worked out. You couldn't pay me to ever (again) buy a first model year production run of any vehicle... Especially with a new truck design, new engine and ULSD fuel

I'm guessing that you'd buy a dually? There is no Dodge or Chev/GMC (1 ton) that compares to the current tow ratings of the PSD Tow Boss

Last edited by utahtom; 09-20-2006 at 11:09 AM.