Homemade tool for holding the harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Homemade tool for holding the harmonic balancer

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/...icbalancer.jpg

It was going to be a knife, that's why the file is bent "side ways".

The holes are simply 13/64" holes spaced just right to allow 3/8" bolts to be slipped through the harmonic balancer and through the file both.
It's not "tight" in use, just "captive".

Works great, add a cheater pipe if needed, the only time I used it (about a month ago) I didn't need a cheater pipe.

While I'm at it, here's my T18 guide pins...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/guidepins.jpg

7/16" x 5+1/2" long grade-5 bolts with the heads cut off and other modifications for the fun of it. First used for that in late '78 and last used in mid '06.

Alvin in AZ ('75 F150)

Old 09-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good thinking Alvin!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say, ARE YOU NUTS? A file is hard and brittle and will shatter under any flexing, bending or side force, it can send out sharp fragments into your eyes not alone the jagged broken end that will eat human flesh. Just typing about this gives me the chills and with a cheater pipe. Please don't post items like this as we don't want injured FTE members. Not picking on you just that a friend back in the 60's used a file for a pry bar, it snapped with a file fragment taking out his eye at 16 years of age he is now 57.
The only question I have is how the hell did you drill holes thru a file?
.....=o&o>.....

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 09-03-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bdox
Good thinking Alvin!
Cool, thanks, Bdox.

I forgot to mention the harmonic balancer holding tool fits my '75 360 with PS and A/C, don't know what else it'll fit. :/

Alvin in AZ

Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep your a real genious!!! Now I know what they mean about selective breeding..

Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Robert you belong in the garage working on the motor not screwing around on the puter.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
It's all on hold till someone answers that "cam bearing ?", and Fed Mog gets back to me on that piston..otherwise I'd just bolt that mess together and pray LOL

Old 09-03-2006, 09:26 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Well this holiday weekend put a stopper on your progress, what's left but to work on a few biers.

.....=o&o>.....

Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
Please don't post items like this as we don't want injured FTE members. Not picking on you just that a friend back in the 60's used a file for a pry bar, it snapped with a file fragment taking out his eye at 16 years of age he is now 57.
The only question I have is how the hell did you drill holes thru a file?
.....=o&o>.....
Alvin, at first I was thinking you had too much time on your hands, then I read your profile. Better add toolmaking and general smithing. LOL

I feel that Carl did bring up a valid point. We have a group with diverse backgrounds and abilities here. Not everyone will understand what they are looking at, not all of those will bother to find out what they are looking at. We have to keep them safe long enough to learn inherent risk.

That aside:
Interesting idea, I've been brainwashed to get out a socket, maybe a prybar. Now I wouldn't think to do anything different.
Will you create a gallery and upload that pic of the guide pins? I described them to someone a few weeks ago, would have been nice to pin a picture to the post.

Have fun out in that shop, Mike

Old 09-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I did not make an issue of the file since it had holes drilled in it. I'd bet heavily that the file says "made in China" on it and that it will bend before it breaks.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
LMAO! He bent it to make a knife? He put holes in it? It's not a file any longer!
Carl wasn't thinking about it; I have seen him use the word anneal in a post or two.

Problem is having a newb just look at the picture and get hurt. I had the good fortune to be surrounded by people who looked after my best interest. A few decades later the shoe is on the other foot... Was I that scary?????????? DAYAAAMMM!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2006, 05:34 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep an engineering idea on the harmonic balancer holder... I have too agree with Carl and Mike..on this one..The use of the File is scary! to say the least....

I would use a piece of flat stock ..after you drill your holes in location..Heat it up with a torch and quench it in Oil for about 10 seconds (depending on how thick the material is..this will case harden it.. and make it a safe tool to use...

Like as mentioned above..we get some younger guys in here that dont have a background in NDT or Metallergy, Sonic and X-Ray or particle testing....and they might have the tendency to take what everyone posts as being tested to ISO 9000 criteria or MIL STD 105?

But all in all neat Idea!!! JMO..

RJ

Old 09-04-2006, 09:52 AM
aMoneypit
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is holding a harmonic balancer necessary????? With a cheater bar??....aMP

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
To loosen the bolt.
Years ago a neighbor wanted me to time his motor after he replaced the timing chain, found out he used a strap wrench around the damper it slipped on the rubber. Way off on the marks besides it was drilled for balance. Not a good idea.

.....=o&o>.....

Old 09-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
LOL

Sorry about not explaining the fact that the file had been "normalized". :/
(I guess a guy could call that a type of annealing and not be too far off)

FiNgured that would be obvious with the bend and the holes tho.
(trying not to beat anyone over the head with stuff they already know)

Had it as part of the post but I'm a windy sucker and try to go back and weed out and edit stuff, that was something that got weeded out.

Started out with a hunk of bed frame (steel that's properties are comparable to a wrench or screwdriver) that already had a hole in it, but would have to have some of the perpendicular part (angle iron) removed if a guy wanted to use two holes instead of one... and had a plie of old files I'd normalized...

I didn't get anywhere near needing a cheater bar/pipe when I recently removed my timing chain cover but YMMV with all that rusty-nasty stuff some of you have to deal with out there.

The file is a Nicholson "made in usa" I have over five-dozen old files and a dozen hoof rasps to make knives (etc) from, none of them say China on them, Austria, Sweden and England, but no China, sorry.

I spark tested a file that was stamped China, once tho... it sparked the same as all the rest, no soft inner core or anything like that, just pure 1 to 1+1/4% carbon, plain carbon steel.

A railroad rail is a normalized piece of high carbon steel, like the top half of a cold chisel, so that file is a lot like them that way.

Alvin in AZ
ps- I'll have to figure out how to set up a gallery, I'm new to website forums unix/tin/newsgroup junky here :/ rec.knives, alt.crafts.blacksmithing ...I ain't a blacksmith tho! :/

Quick Reply: Homemade tool for holding the harmonic balancer