6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
BankOnIt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR problem?

I have read the many threads regarding the pros and cons of disconnecting the egr valve/sensor. I recently had mine replace back in june and was fine (no CEL: no error P0402 as previously) then the CEL came on again this weekend and again had the EGR valve replaced for the third time. After running it about 20 minutes the CEL has come on again with the same P0402 code even after clearing it several times. What's happening?

I have a 2006 f-250 6.0L psd with about 12,000 miles running with the Banks Big Hoss system with the PDA module. I just bought this truck not too long again and please forgive the ignorance as this is my first diesel; but, could the Banks system have anything to do with it?

I have tried disabling the egr connection as some posts suggest and cleared the CEL code via the Banks PDA but of course when i do this the CEL comes on again everytime i restart the engine. The codes then read P0403 and P0405 (which is of course due to the disconnection of the egr valve wire harness).

Can anyone please tell me what is going on with my truck? Do I leave the egr sensor disconnected and just live with having to clear the CEL codes (P0403 and P0405 everytime i start the engine??

Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
0402 is excessive flow which would mean the valve is stuck open?? doesn't make sense with having a new valve (or 2 or 3) installed. Has your truck recently been reflashed??? does it do the same thing if you uninstall the banks system? That's the first thing I'd do or try before I did anything else. Who's installing the egr valves--dealer? Do you leave the banks on for the re-install???

Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM
BankOnIt
New User
I have installed the egr myself so as to avoid warranty issues with the dealer. Even though the whole modification was done at a Ford dealership (900 miles away) my local dealership is strict and unforgiving as far as even taking a look at any truck with modifications.
The banks modification has been left intact b/c there are too many components to do and undo (keep in mind that this is the Big Hoss modification).
As far as the reflash, i don't know since i just acquired the truck. Is there a specific reflash that i need?

Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome BankOnIt to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Old 09-04-2006, 07:19 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

I wouldn't worry about the plumbing as much as I'd worry about the electronics. Banks is a "fuel box" meaning that it doesn't reflash the computer, right? I know people running the banks stuff without the electronics and are not these issues, and I know people running the total package without issues. I would try unhooking the banks electronics and going back to the stock program to see if it still has issues. The banks intercooler, tubes, exhaust, that stuff is actually pretty good.

On second look at your post.....are you totally sure you're getting the correct EGR valve? They do have a new one out I believe--Bowtiehatr will be along sometime this morning, I'd bet, to check this thread out. See if you can get the information for him or one of the other excellent tech's we have here.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 09-04-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by BankOnIt
I have installed the egr myself so as to avoid warranty issues with the dealer. Even though the whole modification was done at a Ford dealership (900 miles away) my local dealership is strict and unforgiving as far as even taking a look at any truck with modifications.
Could it be you are getting the wrong EGR valve. From whay I understand there are two differant ones. And depending on the vehicle flash depends on the valve you want.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:44 AM
BankOnIt
New User
thanks for your replies;

Can anyone tell me which egr valve i need. i still have the box with the part number,etc.

On the other hand, is it possible that the banks system itself does "funny" things to the computer's interpretation of what's "normal" and therefore, as some forum posts suggest this CEL can be ignored as it is likely a "false" reading?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by BankOnIt
thanks for your replies;

Can anyone tell me which egr valve i need. i still have the box with the part number,etc.

On the other hand, is it possible that the banks system itself does "funny" things to the computer's interpretation of what's "normal" and therefore, as some forum posts suggest this CEL can be ignored as it is likely a "false" reading?
I never got any answer in this thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
BankOnIt
New User
the p/n that i have reads: 5C3Z-9F452-AA is this the new one?? Anyone?

Old 09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Can the banks PDA read the strategy that your PCM has??? Also, is there a sticker under the hood with the latest reflash # for your truck? Those would be fairly important to know. I don't know about ignoring excessive EGR flow code, but with an a/m system it might be worth checking with Banks to find out.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Check out this thread and see if it helps. Also--search for all threads by BC and see if anything he's going through helps you. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...different.html. I think you're getting the old valve, but I'm totally unsure. You could also have a wire chaffe problem and it's giving you a false reading. At any rate--check out that thread.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
BankOnIt
New User
thank npccpartsman
i'll check it out and of course keep reading

what is your opinion on just unplugging the egr altogether?

Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Mine was unplugged for a long time--pulled it to clean it and found it was cracked open just a hair and it never gave a code, but I didn't have correct boost either. It had a different smell and the turbo didn't spool right, so it's actually "deleted" now. I really don't think unplugging helps as it changes the computer to a program default and you won't get as much boost as you should. I've never had it "freeze" the vanes in the turbo as you could hear the exhaust note change when the VGT valve actuated. It will however lower your boost somewhat. I think you have another problem you need to address. Perhaps your dealership is just selling you old stock to get rid of it and doesn't want to get the new valve that you really need. Just my thoughts, but I've seen them do it.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 AM
BankOnIt
New User
I have looked in many different websites and according to the part# 5c3z-9f452-aa this seems to be the latest egr for 2006 f-250 (vs 4C3Z-9F452-A which is for older models). so hopefully i am getting the newest version of this part.
And, like you said, there may be other issues?? I need to call Banks when they open as well. I like this forum since everyone here is very informative and am hoping someone else is experiencing the same problem and can help me solve mine.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:09 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

OK--I know the difference now. There are several threads on EGR problems going on right now, and I'm sure you have red several or all of them . It can absolutely drive you nuts trying to figure it out. I don't think there's a cut and dried answer to it. Seems like every truck has a little different issue with the same problem. Good luck in resolving your problem.

Quick Reply: EGR problem?