1985 6.9L F350 crew 4x4 I want to pick up as a project

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:00 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 6.9L F350 crew 4x4 I want to pick up as a project

OK,

I've been looking for a cheap but repairable 6.9L or 7.3l IDI to make into a alternative fuel project. BEsides, I would like to get a crew for hauling the Jeep to play and ditbikes and whatever else comes to mind.

On the back road where we live, I found the truck in the title, for sale. I looked in and out, she needs help but can be saved, (body & interior) with elbow grease more than anything.

It has a 6.9L under the hood, look like she needs some love.

I don't know diesels, if this one has had a turbo added (they didn't come with them in 85' right?), where would I find it?

4 speed manual, manual transfer case.

I'm looking for some base info to help my decision of buying and rebuilding it.

How is the 6.9L for rebuild? I know alot depends on it's current condition, but let's say it's tired and weepy from every gasket?

Can I rebuild for $1.5k to 2k$? Doing alot myself except the machinging? I have someone to hire locally that is a cert'd diesel mechanic, good help cheap.

What tranny is this, the NP435, or something newer? The shifter looks like mine in my 79', I have the NP435.

Are the axles the Sterling rear, and a D60 up front? Truck has SRW.

Only bothersome problem right off bodywise, is the drivers door sags towards the rear a 1/4" or more letting water in the cab. Not terrible, but it would negate the interior fixup if it's leaking bad. Have to address that quickly.

Thanks for any thoughts, insight, advise.

Blair

I think this rig could be saved and turned into a really nice truck for a couple grand.

ON EDIT: Isn't there a certain year or two of 6.9L blocks that are known to be no good? I thought I read that in a ppost here somewhere but haven't found the info. Could this 85' be a clunker from the getgo?

Last edited by 78bigunns; 09-03-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The 83 and 84 6.9 had some issues with the block.
The 85, 86 and 87 6.9's were good engines.
I prefer a 6.9 for a rebuild, you can do a minimum bore and still have a good engine.
The turbo was not offered till 93, but there are a lot of aftermarket turbo equipped trucks out there.

The turbo is the large silver thing on the left rear of the engine.
That is my engine, I just did a complete rebuild and have 3500 in parts and machine work. I did all my own labor.

Transmission is a Borg Warner T 19.
Transfer case is a Borg Warner 1345.
Rear axle is a 10.25" Sterling.
Front is a Dana 60.

Door hinges need replaced to correct the door sag, new hinge pins may help for the short run. Look at how the door opens at the lower front corner of the door, worn hinge pins will let the door hit the front fender and kink both the door and fender. Been there, did that.

How much is the truck?
Do you have any idea of the mileage?
What shape is the body in?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 PM
F250FarmBoy
Elder User
Sounds like it'll be a sweet rig when you get it done. Just love those 4x4 CC (except for turning) lol!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
The 83 and 84 6.9 had some issues with the block.
The 85, 86 and 87 6.9's were good engines.
I prefer a 6.9 for a rebuild, you can do a minimum bore and still have a good engine.
The turbo was not offered till 93, but there are a lot of aftermarket turbo equipped trucks out there.

The turbo is the large silver thing on the left rear of the engine.
That is my engine, I just did a complete rebuild and have 3500 in parts and machine work. I did all my own labor.

Transmission is a Borg Warner T 19.
Transfer case is a Borg Warner 1345.
Rear axle is a 10.25" Sterling.
Front is a Dana 60.

Door hinges need replaced to correct the door sag, new hinge pins may help for the short run. Look at how the door opens at the lower front corner of the door, worn hinge pins will let the door hit the front fender and kink both the door and fender. Been there, did that.

How much is the truck?
Do you have any idea of the mileage?
What shape is the body in?
Thanks for the replys.

Dave,

They are asking $1200. I'm guessing motor problems, since the body is fair (IMHO). Very few rust spots, roof has been sanded and primed. Floorboards are exposed, very dirty, but appear to be solid.

One door has been replaced, the drivers door needs attendtion as stated, but everything lines up good.

Has newer seats in it. The trim piece below the grill that fills the gap to the bumper is tweaked. Front bumper is crimped some. Couple small rust spots at rear cab corners, but nothing to deep set.

For mileage, I'm guessing 177k or 277k. I find it hard to believe that it would only have the 77k on the clock.

I'm thinking since the body is half decent, and if the block is reuseable, I might have a worthy truck on my hands.

If the T19 was shot, could a T18 fit in there? I have one with a fresh rebuild.

What you think overall?

I have some pics at home. I can upload tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, and your motor kicks ***. Can we see the rest of the truck?

EDIT: Is there a business that sells a all inclusive kit to rebuild a 6.9L? What could be expected to pay for a turbo?

Are things like injectors and the injection pump pretty much mandatory rebuild items?

I've read that the injection pumps are real pricey. I've also heard the 6.9L are dogs when getting rolling.

Thanks,
Blair

Last edited by 78bigunns; 09-05-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Click on my name and go to my gallery, I have a couple of pictures in there.
I also have some pictures of some mods you may want to do to yours.
If it only has 177,000 on it there should be 150,000 or so left in the motor if it was taken care of.
The T 19 is almost indestructable, I pulled very large loads with mine for over 250,000 miles before I had to replace one bearing that was starting to rumble in first gear. It has well over 300,000 on it now.

Any good machine shop can get everything you need to rebuild a 6.9.
ATS has turbo kits for 1999, you may be able to find one in a salvage yard for less.

IP and injectors are good for about 150,000 miles. They start to get weak after that, but they will usually still run OK. A new IP and injectors will probably get better mileage and make more power than a high mileage one though. I bought a reman IP from Ford a couple of months ago, 435 dollars.

The red 6.9 dog in the picture above does have teeth, and it does bite.