Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6.0 transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
sbwhite
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0 transmission cooler

I just purchsed a 6.0 cooler for my '01 F250 7.3 PSD. Before tearing into the grill, and assorted coolers, I want to be sure I have all needed parts on hand. This is where I need some help. Are there supposed to be rubber pads or other vibration absorbing mounting device on the tranny cooler brackets? Or do they simply bolt up metal to metal?

From reading past posts I know several on this forum have made the same swap and I'm counting on your expertise.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Just put mine on today, who ever said it took them an hour to remove the old and install the 6.0 cooler is the man. It would'nt have been so bad if it were'nt for the bottom two bolts.

sbwhite, metal on metal, no rubber unless you put it on your self.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:04 AM
sbwhite
New User
Thanks Rampage. Just wanted to be sure.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Well, the "hole" on the lower legs that will be screwd onto the frame seem to be a little large for the screw. I think they fit into some sort of rubber gromet myself. In any case, I used a couple of fender washers to secure it.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 PM
pastormiketkd
Senior User
The bottom two bolts can be a mess to get in. Use a long extension and go through the front beside the fog lights if you have them. You will need a larger washer than the 7.3 OEM bolts have on them. You will need 3/8 to 1/2 adapters.

The 6.0 intercooler barbed connections are for 1/2 inch hose. The 7.3 is all 3/8 inch hose. Just get a few feet of hydraulic hose and two 3/8 to 1/2 adapters to go from the factory hoses to the cooler and back.

Also, I drained the radiator and took out the radiator and intercooler. Gave me plenty of room to work and an opportunity to clean and flush everything while I was changing out the tranny coolers. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
It was a good 5 hrs to do mine. Like the guys said just some adapters and 1/2" hose is all you need.. I got my adapters at Lowes and the hose at oreillys. Carefull on how you run the hoses,,Chaffing could be an issue where they go thru between the radiator and the intercooler. I have been watching mine closely. I ran the 1/2" hoses out and under the radiator before i adapted them to the 3/8 hose.Time consuming and hard on the hands but very doable and your tranny will thank you, BIG TIME.!

Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Its has been around 96 degrees ambient for the past couple of days and my trans temp does not quite get to 150 with mixed driving (interstate and city) empty. Is that around-about what you guys are getting with your 6.0 cooler? Normally with my stock cooler I was seeing 165 with the same mixed driving.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
Its has been around 96 degrees ambient for the past couple of days and my trans temp does not quite get to 150 with mixed driving (interstate and city) empty. Is that around-about what you guys are getting with your 6.0 cooler? Normally with my stock cooler I was seeing 165 with the same mixed driving.
Pretty much. I saw about a 15 deg drop or 70 above ambient with the stock trans. Of course now it is about the same unless I tow an 8000# toy hauler on the BTS trans. Then it rises to 80 deg above ambient.

On a side note, BTS said they weren't sponsors of this site and I mentioned that this is where I heard of them. Brian said he would be interested in being a sponsor. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are now sponsors.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by aklim
BTS said they weren't sponsors of this site and I mentioned that this is where I heard of them. Brian said he would be interested in being a sponsor. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are now sponsors.
Nice work!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Nice work!
Thanx. I just mentioned to him that we heard of him on this board. He said he never heard of this board. He said he would like to be a sponsor if we could give him some info. All I did was to request info in his name. Not a biggie. The way I see it, it is a win-win situation. The more people hear about him, the more they will want his products. The longer he stays in business the better it is for all. Getting him here was a no-brainer.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User
I had the plastic piece between the bumper and radiator mount, and the license plate bracket off and have no fog lights. Unbolted from underneath and slid new one in from bottom by loosing the lower condensor brackets, and p/s cooler. I was able to leave the grill, radiator and intercooler all installed.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:22 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aklim
Thanx. I just mentioned to him that we heard of him on this board. He said he never heard of this board. He said he would like to be a sponsor if we could give him some info. All I did was to request info in his name. Not a biggie. The way I see it, it is a win-win situation. The more people hear about him, the more they will want his products. The longer he stays in business the better it is for all. Getting him here was a no-brainer.
Nice work. I've mentioned this forum to Brian before (on a couple different occasions), but I didn't know we could request to have info sent to him. Nice to see that they are now sponsors!!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by jtharvey
Nice work. I've mentioned this forum to Brian before (on a couple different occasions), but I didn't know we could request to have info sent to him. Nice to see that they are now sponsors!!
That was easy. I requested info as tho I wanted to be the sponsor and put his name and address in it. More ways than 1 to skin a cat.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by MRBASS
It was a good 5 hrs to do mine. Like the guys said just some adapters and 1/2" hose is all you need.. I got my adapters at Lowes and the hose at oreillys. Carefull on how you run the hoses,,Chaffing could be an issue where they go thru between the radiator and the intercooler. I have been watching mine closely. I ran the 1/2" hoses out and under the radiator before i adapted them to the 3/8 hose.Time consuming and hard on the hands but very doable and your tranny will thank you, BIG TIME.!
I found it a lot easier to install a Trucool instead of the 6.0. I just left the existing coolers alone, and cut into the return hose to put the trucool in series with them. Checked the flow rate afterward and it met Ford specs. I simply pulled the grill. The trucool mounts in front of everything by bolting it to existing stucture, and I put wireloom on the tubing that goes back and forth around the radiator to prevent chaffing, then cinched it down thoroughly with wire ties. The results: maximum of 50 degrees above ambient pulling 12000 lb 5th on the freeway at 60. Went up a mountain pass-like grade about 5 miles of 6%; got to 75 above ambient. Highest temp was 95 above when I arrived at a city and had about 5 miles of stop and go. The trucool doesn't get much air flow at stop signs. So even at worst, with the outside temperature at 90 plus, I never reached 200 on the tranny guage. I'm a happy camper.
Warren

Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Speaking of the stock cooler, was the long tube on top of the cooler the inlet or the outlet?

Quick Reply: 6.0 transmission cooler