1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F2

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
wolfpak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i have no idea how to know if someone can read this? i am rebuilding a 51 f3 and i need a rear brake drum, any help out there?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
You might be pretty hard up to find a replacement. Are you going complete by the numbers restoration, if not, this would be perfect time to swap out the rear axle with a newer pre-'72 axle from a F-250 get better gearing.

Added this:

Contact fellow FTE member Jeff and Nicolle his lastest signature is listing rear axle parts from his '48-50 F-3 for sale. Make sure his parts will fit your truck, Ford changed drums for the F-2 in the mid '51 model year, I'm not sure about the F-3 but since they're basically the same truck I guess they changed the F-3 too. Get detailed measurements.

Another edit:

I saw you don't have enough posts so far to directly PM other FTE members. Just go to this post and post a reply if you're interested:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-progress.html

Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM
MCarlson
Senior User
I'm going much the route with my F3. I want it to look 1952 when seen driving down the road, but I sure don't want to feel 1952 when behind the wheel. I got real lucky in that most of my rust is where the wood met the metal on the bed. Won't be too hard to patch up. I've got a 1990 5.0 and AOD from a crown vic, a 9" out of a 78 cougar, disc brakes from speedway (5 bolt) and the brake pedal/booster from a 76 F250. I also picked up a toyota box for power steering. I also plan on using it as a truck not a show piece. As of last weekend it is finally a frame on jackstands with a front axle instead of just the frame on jackstands that it's been for the last year. I have the first set of rear springs put back together and the second set is soaking in a box of vinegar/water waiting to be reassembled. Good luck with yours.
Mike

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Underground-mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by 51dueller
If you do go to a later frame. I've written a HUGE article of putting a '51 M-3 on a '78 F-250 frame. You can read it here:
http://www.old-fords.com/frameswap/frame1.htm

Doesn't look to bad does it?
does this thread haoppened to be on here because i cant get it and ineed it please thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Go to web site, the link is in my signature, I have the write up under the technical link.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Underground-mechanic
New User
awesome thanks would i still have to cut the frame im using a reg cab1993 f250 4x4 5 spd diesel? and i live in canada which i dont think they allow u to do that cut the frame ?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Underground-mechanic
awesome thanks would i still have to cut the frame im using a reg cab1993 f250 4x4 5 spd diesel? and i live in canada which i dont think they allow u to do that cut the frame ?
I have no idea. I think Nathan is also a Canuc. Maybe he'll stop by and offer his opinion. If not try to PM him.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't use that frame especially for a 1948-52 truck. Its just way to wide. The body would either be mounted way above the frame or you will be building a new floor for the cab.

I don't know what the regulations are in Ontario but in Sask, for vehicles before 1959 there are no rules on frame modifications. It just has to safely support the vehicles weight.

Quite honestly I don't recommend doing a frame swap. I've found that I would have to make several compromises to make it work properly. I'm very peculiar in how I do things as it has to look like it belongs there or factory. My frame is going to get a complete overhaul and is going to be built from scratch. This way it will fit like a glove and use all factory body mounts. I'll have my rear axle/suspension done next month but I still have lots of preliminary draft work to do for the main frame.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Underground-mechanic
New User
ok well heres another question are the frames from the 1978 f150 the same as the f250 ?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The frames are pretty much the same. The front suspension is the same under 6900 grw and over 6900 grw is different.

Your still going to run into the biggest issue I did and that is the steering. If you bolt a column directly to the steering box, it will move the steering wheel 3" towards the door. You pretty much have to cut a column in half and run a zig zag steering linkage to make it work.

I'm building a hybrid front suspension using components from 1980-86 F-350 with the 1976-79 I beams. However this is not a bolt in operation as it requires machine work and frame modification.

The other problem is the front tires will stick past the fenders. You will have to widen them at least 2" or find F-7/8 fenders but these still require you to graft in the smaller fender openings as I don't think you'll be running a 40" tire.

What is wrong with the original frame, that your dead set on using a different frame? I'm only continuing the course cause I have too much invested and have luckily came across parts that will make it work.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Doraville
Senior User
This is an old thread, but no doubt there will be numerous people who will stumble across it who have the same questions.

It would seem that you have (at least) three approaches for an F2/F3 project:
  1. Leave the wheelbases as-is and restore it.
  2. Shorten the frame, replace the bed, fenders as Vern did.
  3. A third option is to "bob" it, in other words shorten the frame and the bed behind the rear fenders.
If you want a short bed truck, option #2 is probably the best but is also takes the most time and money.

If you have time/budget constraints, "bobbing" may not be a bad option. They don't look bad if they're done right. I bought a '51 F3 a few years ago that had been bobbed. Unfortunately, the PO had installed a mish-mash of later model bed and fenders. Before I could sort out everything required to put the truck where I wanted it, I ran across an F1 that was much closer to what I wanted so I took the cowardly way out and bought the F1 and sold the F3.

Here are some photos of an F2 that has been bobbed, as you can see it's not a bad looking truck at all. I don't think that most people would realize that it's not a short bed.

Peace,
-DV

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Doraville
Here are some photos of an F2 that has been bobbed, as you can see it's not a bad looking truck at all. I don't think that most people would realize that it's not a short bed.
I would

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Underground-mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by Underground-mechanic
ok well heres another question are the frames from the 1978 f150 the same as the f250 ?
??????????????????????????

Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Underground-mechanic
New User
sorry damn thing wasnt show last post

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Underground-mechanic
New User
Originally Posted by 51dueller
The frames are pretty much the same. The front suspension is the same under 6900 grw and over 6900 grw is different.

Your still going to run into the biggest issue I did and that is the steering. If you bolt a column directly to the steering box, it will move the steering wheel 3" towards the door. You pretty much have to cut a column in half and run a zig zag steering linkage to make it work.

I'm building a hybrid front suspension using components from 1980-86 F-350 with the 1976-79 I beams. However this is not a bolt in operation as it requires machine work and frame modification.

The other problem is the front tires will stick past the fenders. You will have to widen them at least 2" or find F-7/8 fenders but these still require you to graft in the smaller fender openings as I don't think you'll be running a 40" tire.

What is wrong with the original frame, that your dead set on using a different frame? I'm only continuing the course cause I have too much invested and have luckily came across parts that will make it work.
im on a budget and trying to use what i got and im a mining mechanic so i like diesel this truck has a diesel and thought it would be cool to put an iold school body on it with it being an almost all mechanical engine and its a 4x4 so want to keep it a 4x4 and i also have a 4000 lbs flat bed which i would be towing with it for scrap steel and such

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F2