1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

map sensor mod inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:05 PM
pud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
map sensor mod inside

I was playing around with my F150 and decided to block off the signal to the MAP sensor...when I revved it up she spit gasoline out the tail pipe and idled like crap...Then I remembered someone here saying that more diesel=more power. A little light bulb went on. So I pulled the MAP out of my dis-assembled Bronco and I blocked the nipple on it and re-installed the vacuum line over it. Fired it up, warmed it up then took it for a burn. There is a noticeable increase in power, I get a little puff of black coming out of a gear change now. Coming into second if I get on it about 3/4 throttle or more I leave big black tire marks on the asphalt.
But what I want to know from you guys is, am I going to wreck something if I keep running it like this?

Last edited by pud; 08-27-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
shouldnt hurt anything. the map just tells the pcm how much psi you got and to defuel.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 PM
pud
Posting Guru
sweet Everything seemed fine, well actually seemed even better . I cant believe the difference it made. Next time I fuel up Im going to watch to see if It changed mileage any. Probably decreased it a bit more, the way I drive haha.
...and thanks for the link to the AIC manual

Old 08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
No Problem

Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 PM
pud
Posting Guru
well I figure I should post my new experience with this. After I posted last I went and fixed my jimmy riggin to the MAP sensor. When I first did it, I used the MAP off my bronco and it was all just kind of hanging there. So I went to go re-install my alteration more permanently to the F350 MAP. Well I had the hose completely disconnected from the sensor and they were both blocked totally. It ran like crap when I went to take it out again. Ticked off, thinking I wrecked something I put it all back to the way I had it, using the bronco MAP. Here is what I did:

I took a Q-tip and cut one fuzzy end off, then rammed a toothpick (round, 2 pointy end ones) up the shaft of the Q-tip as far as I could with just my hands, then cut off the excess toothpick. Next I put that end into the MAP (fuzzy end out) and cut off the excess Q-tip, leaving about 1/8" out so I could grab it to remove it. I then pulled it out and wrapped a little bit of electrical tape around it, so it would pressure fit into the inside of the MAP sensor vacuum port. Then I put the vacuum hose back onto the port on the MAP, and plugged it back in...and shes running the way I had it the first time.

Just incase someone does it and wonders why the hell they lost power and I gained power. I dont know why it works so well the way I did it with the Q-tip and not when I had them totally seperated and blocked off.

BTW I am using the Bronco MAP, I dont know if there is any difference between the to other than I know for a fact from this that the F350 MAP has a larger ID on the vacuum port than the Bronco one does. [/Ghetto Fab]

Last edited by pud; 08-27-2006 at 11:00 PM.