1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Heat soak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Agnitoood
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat soak

I was told by a young man in the parts dept at a kenworth shop to put back on my stock filter set up. "It works better than you think", he said. Would Heat soak my engine, I think that is what he called it.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever measured the temp in a stock box, compared to any of the open ones?

does it affect the turbo the most, or the engine? Are there symptoms of this condition I should be watching for?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't hurt anything that I know of.

He probably doesn't know how bad our air boxes leak dirt. A little extra heat into the intake sytem is offset by additional filtering you'll get with the open filter. You could always fab-up a barrier between the filter and engine. Keep the flat looking air intake off the old filter housing, that will help direct cooler air to the filter.

BTW: Higher intake temps result in better mileage. The performance suffers a bit tho.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
higher intake temps will increase efficentcy to an extent but it goes to high it will lower. ive been runnin tymar intakes on my trucks since 99 at highway speeds the temps were the same running around town in 90 deg temps i saw the temps about 30 deg warmer with the tymar. i have since moved my battery to the back and put the filter where the battery was and boxed it in but didnt see any diff in performance.

the original filter housings are junk. there great for motor and turbo rebuilders....