Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Acemandb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucket Seat Question

I have a really clean 1994 F150 conventional cab with a bench seat.
Found 1994 F150 bucket seat tracks.

From searching this forum I understand that I can mount just about any bucket seats to these tracks given some minor "engineering".

Am I limited to manual bucket seats or is power bucket seats also an option ?

My concern is keeping the bucket seats at relatively the same height as the bench seat.

I'd appreciate any/all advice & photos if possible.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe bronco's of certain years had power seats, typically in the eddie bauer models, so they can be had. Since the floorpan of the F-series is the same in the driver seat area as the bronco, making them fit shouldn't be too bad. Couple of holes and some reinforcement around the holes (large diameter fender washers usually work good) and you're tracks are in.

If you can fabricate, you're not limited to F-series seating. I put minivan seats in the front of my crewcab and the color matches my dark red interior just fine. And, they are incredibly comfortable too.

Here's the effort:
http://frederic.midimonkey.com/f350-seats.html

And the final result:

In my old 75 Dodge extended cab, I had installed power, leather, lumbar, heated Town Car seats with about the same amount of work, and they were incredibly comfortable for long trips.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Hey sounds like nice ride. The tracks are the worst part of seat swap. If you have a set that fits your truck floor it makes it easy.. Plate steel brackets from track mounts to mounts of almost any seat. As for power All you need is fused power supply and ready to Rock. Good luck

Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Acemandb
Freshman User
Nice write up Fredric. Didn't want to get into much welding. I'm not a welder, no problems with cutting, grinding, drilling, bolting etc. Welding will have to go to a shop. Consequently found & bought '94 F150 bucket seat tracks.

lostin90's, Looking at 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee leather buckets (power) and it appears to have them work properly I'd have to adapt the Jeep seat tracks to the Ford tracks ??????

Or can I mount the Jeep seats on the Ford tracks (leaving in/out adjustment manual) and all other adjustments power ?????

Old 08-26-2006, 01:01 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Acemandb
Nice write up Fredric. Didn't want to get into much welding. I'm not a welder, no problems with cutting, grinding, drilling, bolting etc. Welding will have to go to a shop. Consequently found & bought '94 F150 bucket seat tracks.

Well, instead of welding, in the corners you can drill two holes at the end of each section of square tubing, and put a plate top and bottom, which you cut to look like an "L", drilling four holes on the "L" pieces. Then bolt through.

my method, as described on the web page, didn't require any modification to the floorpan, and is a more "univeral" setup. By making small little brackets and attaching them to the frame, I can fit just about any bucket seat I want in there, now or in the future.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:01 PM
deputyjones
New User
Sorry if I am thread stealing here, but I have a similar question:

I would like to find a bench seat with the fold down middle console section for my 94 regular cab. Anyone know if this was ever offered back then or know of another bolt-on alternative?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:31 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
[QUOTE=Acemandb]Nice write up Fredric. Didn't want to get into much welding. I'm not a welder, no problems with cutting, grinding, drilling, bolting etc. Welding will have to go to a shop. Consequently found & bought '94 F150 bucket seat tracks.

lostin90's, Looking at 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee leather buckets (power) and it appears to have them work properly I'd have to adapt the Jeep seat tracks to the Ford tracks ??????

Or can I mount the Jeep seats on the Ford tracks (leaving in/out adjustment manual) and all other adjustments power ?????[/QUOTE

Well if you don't use ford tracks the seat won't go up as far. ( most cherokee's are 4 doors and don't need access to back seats) And I think you won't have power seats if you remove jeep tracks as adjustments are made in track. I've used 3/16 plate steel to fab track to seat mounts if holes aren't far from each other. You will have to rig up release for ford track so slides forward. But should not be to hard. good luck
____________________________\
94 F150 4x4 Xlt SC long bed Maf 302 E4od

Last edited by lostin90s; 08-26-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:29 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
for easy fab up of mounts there are "C" chanel shaped bars in the electrical section of your home despot or lowes
they have specialbolts and nuts you can use to mount virtually any seat to

Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Acemandb
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mhg
for easy fab up of mounts there are "C" chanel shaped bars in the electrical section of your home despot or lowes .......
Thanks, I'd totally forgotten about UniStrut. Plenty strong for this application and holes every 3/4" or so. Not to be confused with the relatively flimsy hexagonal shelving material.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Acemandb
Freshman User
Thanks for the great advice.

Scored two leather power seats out of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee cost $75 each for my 1994 Flareside 150. Measured newer Ford 150 seats and found they'd crowd the door handles a bit.

Not a straight bolt in. Spent the weekend making adaptor plates (4) out of 1/4" aluminum plate 4" X 18". A little bit of a challenge as the Jeep seat tracks are offset.
Wanted to keep the Jeep tracks so I would keep all the seat functions.

Found it was easier working with the seat separated from the tracks. Used cardboard template of seat bottom. Also gives an opportunity to thoroughly scrub, clean and apply leather conditioner to the seats.

Not much of a problem on passenger side but wanted driver's seat aligned with steering wheel. Able to use OEM Ford mounting studs on both (passenger & driver) sides then drilled additional mounting holes. Some grinding & drilling involved for front seat mounts. Used rear seat mounts on seats as is (after some minor grinding), front mounts had to be cut off & new mounting holes drilled. Adapter plates bolted to floor, rear seat mount & adapter plate through bolted with 3/8" stainless bolts & fender washers (3 per plate) & ny-locks.

Due to irregular floor pan on driver's side the inner adapter plate had to be leveled. 5/8" difference between inner & outer threw driver's seat into a bind.

Seats came with seat belt buckles had to replace Ford buckles on the belts. Be sure to ask for them at the yard.

Hint - Checkout seat functions thoroughly yourself. First driver's seat looked nice but 1/2 the functions (lumbar, memory & tilt) weren't working but yard said they checked it. Look for heavy rust under seat frames.

Electrical was dead easy. Just 2 wires Hot & Ground. Inline fuse added.

Seats at lowest adjustment sit approximately the same height as the bench seat I replaced. Next is to add a center console. Need something to hold my coffee cup & an arm rest.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Acemandb
Freshman User
My reason for using aluminum plate for mounting the Jeep Grand Cherokee Seats was to keep the seat height relatively the same as the bench I took out.

Today added floor center console out of a 2006 F250 ($50). Found it on eBay and the seller lived less than 50 miles away so I saved shipping costs. Fits nicely between the Jeep Grand Cherokee seats and provides a handy elbow rest and at long last coffee cup holders for my early morning fishing trips.