Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sams Vegetable oil

I am going to start making biodiesel and I was going to start by making small amounts as test subjects. before i start collecting oil I wanted to use Sams frying oil just to get started. But what I couldn't figure out, how many gallons are in 35 pounds. Nowhere on the box does it say gallons. I believe it was $13 for 35 pounds.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:50 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
I am going to start making biodiesel and I was going to start by making small amounts as test subjects. before i start collecting oil I wanted to use Sams frying oil just to get started. But what I couldn't figure out, how many gallons are in 35 pounds. Nowhere on the box does it say gallons. I believe it was $13 for 35 pounds.

Most cooking oils weigh about 7 lbs/gallon.

35lbs dev 7lbs = 5 gallons, 5 gal @ $13 = $2.60/ gallon.

Good luck! Keep us informed on your progress.............

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 08-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Posting Guru

MobeyDick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I measured it out and got 4.5 gallons, it says Cost per Fluid ounce is 2.268321 cent that wound put it at 588.1 Fluid ounces or 4.59453 Gallons! I stand by 4.5 though because that is what I measured. That is what I use when I calculate fuel mileage. I come up with $2.964 per Gallon!

BTW: Down south it's $13.34 for 35 Pounds.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior User

Dave Barbieri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, I've been using Sam's oil for my first batches. It takes out a couple of variables. Because it's new, I use much less NOH, so the lye lasts much longer. I initially asked the list if someone had measured it, and the general response seemed to be 4.3 gallons. In using a carboy to check that, I've found it to be pretty close. 4.5 gallons sounds right in the ballpark!

The Mercedes folks on the west coast report that they can buy veggie oil from CostCo for around $2.45/gallon. The SVO folks are WAY happy!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Junior User

Drag_N_Fly_One is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey, if one decided to use NEW vo to make bio, would you end up using less KOH and methanol ?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag_N_Fly_One
Hey, if one decided to use NEW vo to make bio, would you end up using less KOH and methanol ?
Same amount of methanol - that stays constant at 20% - 22% of your vegetable oil. It's the KOH/NOH that changes . My titrations on Sam's clear fryer oil had me adding only 19.7 grams/.04 pounds per gallon of oil. In a 30 gallon batch, that came out as:

30 gallons/7 containers of oil
6.5 gallons of methanol
1.2 pounds of lye

3 batches so far. I air wash/bubble for 24 hours, skimming soap manually, then filtering thru 10 micron bag filters. I then let the fuel bubble overnight. I pump the bio from the barrel thru a 2 micron water block filter and into my fuel tank. Crystal clear, no soap, burns great.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, now I've got some new veggie oil, what else do I need to make some test batches of Biodiesel? Where do you buy Lye, and how hard is it to use ethanol istead of methanol? I am also starting to make ethanol for some of my old trucks so this would be a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Senior User

Quote:
OK, now I've got some new veggie oil, what else do I need to make some test batches of Biodiesel? Where do you buy Lye, and how hard is it to use ethanol istead of methanol? I am also starting to make ethanol for some of my old trucks so this would be a lot easier and cheaper.
Sorry for the delayed reply. Here's some info that might be helpful.

I buy my methanol from David's Auto Center on Hwy 69. He reaces dirt track on the weekends, so he keeps a 600 gallon tank of the stuff for himself and his friends. My last 55 gal barrel cost me about $120.

I use NOH (lye) for my reaction, and I pick it up at Lowe's. Look for Roebic Crystal Drain Opener. It's in granular form and comes in a 32oz/2 pound/908 gram plastic bottle. I think I paid $7 and change for each bottle. Not too sure - can't find the receipt. You can find it back in the plumbing area, about one row before the water heaters. It's on a shelf with a bunch of other drain cleaner/opener products.

I'm still looking for a source of filtered oil. I'm trying to talk to the collection services. As a last resort, I'll pick up my own. I'd rather pay a little up front for each gallon of oil and NOT have to deal with 'residue' (ie: french fries, fish heads, corn meal, etc). Also, here's a real interesting source for info and bio:

http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/

These folks are located on the north side of Houston in a reclaimed junk yard. They offer classes on specific Saturday's each month, and they also sell bioD. Their website lists the current prices; right now it's $2.68 for B99 and $3 for B100. I'm thinking it'd be a hoot to go down there, take a class and then top off the truck and a few barrels with some real ASTM-spec bioD! After half-a-dozen batches, I've got some questions about titration. Reading about it on the net is one thing, seeing it in person is another. Plus, it'd be fun to talk to folks who've been doing this successfully for a while. I'm thinking one Saturday in October.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:02 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
You should go here first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org

Very good site for Biodiesel info. You can use Ethanol to make Biodiesel, BUT it has to be 99.5 percent. Even My reflux still only makes 95 percent Ethanol, you have to put it through a molecular sieve to get the needed purity for making Biodiesel.

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 09-03-2006, 08:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2010, 55, barbieri, dave, f250, f350, ford, fuel, gals, mileage, oil, sams, vegetable, vegitable, vegtable