1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

two questions for the volare front suspension crew

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 PM
1955effie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two questions for the volare front suspension crew

It's me again , lol . Anyways here's the questions . (1) How did you fabricate your power steering pump brackets? I am running a 302 and am planning on using the mopar power steering pump , problem is the bracketing nothing even closely is the same . Anyone have photos in their galleries? (2) I also am mocking up a steering column without getting into the big buck stuff ( although I will consider those options) what type did you use and do you have photos of how the type of column mounts in the dash and steering box sections ? I was going to use a granada column that I had but it is way too short( it won't even go through the floor when it's at a good driving height. Any thoughts guys ? thanks !!!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son's 63 has a Volare' in it with a 302. We used the stock 86 302 power steering pump and used the pressure hose from a Crown Victoria. It bolted in after tweaking the tube for clearance.
His truck uses the column from a 75-91 Ford van. Again his is a 63 so that may not be a direct fit in yours. I used the tilt column from a Camaro in my 56. I wanted a floor shifter is one reason I used the Camaro guts. It had a 73 LTD tilt column in it before that.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the Chrysler pump on a SBC in my 48 with Volare suspension. Even though the brackets are entirely different you will find that the pump has a number of mounting holes for different types of brackets. I believe the Chrysler pumps are made by Saginaw which are also used on a variety of vehicle makes. The approach I took was to tweek the GM bracket to make it hold the Chrysler pump. You should be able to do the same with a Ford bracket. The hardest part I found was in getting the belt alignment perfect. I'm sure you can do it with some time and patience...

Vern

Old 08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Why do you want a chrys pump??? Find the ford pump and brackets to fit your engine and then get the adjustable valve. PS: The GM pump is the Chrysler pump and they do interchange, I did it. It was a waste of time and effort. It had the same guts, valving and preload spring, just a different shaft. press vs. splined.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 AM
cabby daddy
Senior User
i used the pump off the donor vehicle, 1980 volare wagon, and the donor motor brackets from the 1976 lincoln 400. the crysler/saginaw pump mounted directly to the ford brackets.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:38 AM
1955effie
Senior User
cabby daddy , thanks . And El Cabron , the reason that I didn't go with the ford pump was awhile back on this site someone claimed that when they used the ford one it made the steering way too quick ??????????????? So I thought that I would ask for more info . Your adjustable valving solution just might be what that last guy overlooked . Thanks

Old 08-27-2006, 06:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by El Cabron
Why do you want a chrys pump??? Find the ford pump and brackets to fit your engine and then get the adjustable valve. PS: The GM pump is the Chrysler pump and they do interchange, I did it. It was a waste of time and effort. It had the same guts, valving and preload spring, just a different shaft. press vs. splined.
It he's cheap like me, he wants the Chrysler pump because it was a freebie that came with the donor car and no adjustable valve to buy. It's a matter of economics. Use what you have and keep costs down. I was also under the impression that the GM pump puts out a little more pressure than the Chrysler making the PS twitchy when used with the Chrysler steering box. I think someone, possibly 'fenders, reported that fact in a previous post here. Are you saying the GM and Chrysler pumps put out the same pressure? Also, the Chrysler pump I used from an 87 5th Avenue did not interchange with my GM bracket. I had to make some modifications...

Vern

Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Well, after I read those threads, I went out and found the CH pump but the housing does not fit the GM brackets, and it was then I found the CH pump will fit right into the GM housing and bolt back into the GM brackets. It was while I had both units apart that I found both pumps, valves and chech ball spring preload to be identical. The check valve and spring tensions were checked at a machine shop on test equipment. To further verify, I bought an additional GM housing as to have 2 GM housings ( 1 GM pump, 1 CH pump ) and change back and forth to test the steering and there was no difference or change in the feel of the steering. In short, if the housing fit the bracket, you can then choose either pump to go into the housing. And, the GM shaft is splined, the CHR is press on. The pumps are even the same casting when laid side by side. Weird. Furthermore, it is actually the R & P steering that requires less pump pressure and will need the adjustable in-line valve.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:02 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a DEVIL of a time trying to figure this one out as well. I finally ended up going to the junkyard and finding a PS bracket that fit my engine. I then bought a new PS pump and installed it. Shimming the thing to fit my pulleys was a bit tricky, and now I just need to get a hose that goes from a Ford pump to the Volare box.

Im using an Ididit tilt column. Money well spent.

~Rich

Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Oh yeah, that was the other reason I used the Chrysler pump. I was able to use the stock PS pump hose...

Vern

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 08-29-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cabron
Well, after I read those threads, I went out and found the CH pump but the housing does not fit the GM brackets, and it was then I found the CH pump will fit right into the GM housing and bolt back into the GM brackets. It was while I had both units apart that I found both pumps, valves and chech ball spring preload to be identical. The check valve and spring tensions were checked at a machine shop on test equipment. To further verify, I bought an additional GM housing as to have 2 GM housings ( 1 GM pump, 1 CH pump ) and change back and forth to test the steering and there was no difference or change in the feel of the steering. In short, if the housing fit the bracket, you can then choose either pump to go into the housing. And, the GM shaft is splined, the CHR is press on. The pumps are even the same casting when laid side by side. Weird. Furthermore, it is actually the R & P steering that requires less pump pressure and will need the adjustable in-line valve.
The reason they are the same casting is that GM, CRY and even some Fords used Saginaw made PS pumps. I don't know about the Volare box but the pumps that are a problem for the Toyota box are the ones used on luxobarges: Caddy, Lincoln and Imperials. They all used higher pressures to allow the blue hairs to dock... er park them with no effort.
It takes a min. column length of 32" to get to the other side of the firewall.
To check pulley alignment lay a straight edge across both pulley faces, when it touches both edges of both pulleys at the same time they are aligned.

Last edited by AXracer; 08-29-2006 at 07:29 PM.