2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving MPG on 2006 Lincoln Mark LT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:51 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving MPG on 2006 Lincoln Mark LT

ok, i have a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT 4x4 and the milage was really sucking. i was getting like 11.8 MPG with a magnaflow exhaust already on it. i then installed my diablo predator 87 octane performance tune and i am now up to around 12.4 MPG. I am getting ready to install a AFE stage 2 air intake after i paint it the same color as the truck. Now my question is what are some other parts i can buy that will help with MPG??

Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle? What gears? What kind of driving does this truck see?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
the truck has about 3,400 miles on it now and it also has 3.73 gears. the truck mostly sees intown driving that is around 40mph and some. it also sees a little highway driving but not alot. btw love the support american manufacturing. i agree with you 100%

Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
THE Truck Might not be fully broken in as yet so you might see an increase in fuel mileage down the road...However withthat said...Driving in town will kill these trucks for mileage. Stop and go Traffic...these are heavy trucks and it takes some throttle to get them moving to cruising speed from a dead stop. Some people will tell you to try and keep the RPM below 2K. That will work some but I can't drive like that.

A few things you can do are...

Make sure your tires are properly inflated
Oil FIlter and change at recommended intervals
Check the Air FIlter (Delaer recommends 30K but I replaced mine at 20K because of dirt)
Fuel Filter when recommended...maybe even earlier
Trans Flush when also recommended

Now these are suggestions far down the road from where you are at in your mileage. I got an EDGE Evolution TUner for my truck and seen a 2 MPG increase in mileage when driving my truck around. Problem is with me I drive a minimum of 100 Miles a day and 90% of those are highway miles cruise set at 72 MPH.

For the type of driving you and the vehicle you have...you might be looking at the best mileage your gonna get.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
timcpa
Senior User
Will reflashing the computer help? My 05 F-150 has never been reflashed. It runs great and other than a TSB for the brakes and rotors I have never had anything other than routine maintenance done to it. I have about 21000 miles and it is almost 2 yrs old but city mileage is an abysmal 10.8 mpg. Highway mileage is pretty good at 18.5 mpg but unfortunatly 90% of my driving is in town, stop and go. I asked my service manager if reflashing it would help and he was hesitant to do it under warranty unless I had a specific problem or a TSB and I told him I had a specific problem with the mileage. He said he would hook it up to the computer next week and check to see if there were any flash updates available. In a way I hate to reflash it since it runs great otherwise. He told me that they could not reflash an 06 or 07 without a specific TSB or prior authorization from Ford. This new policy from Ford does not apply to 05 he said but warranty would only cover it if there were a specific problem not to just get it to run better. Sounds like crap to me!
What should I do?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
If you can afford to buy an LT, WHY do need to worry about MPG???? If you want better milage, buy a Honda!

Same as me...I bought a 40 thousand dollar F250 to pull my 30' travel trailer. I sure don't expect to get 15-20 MPG with it!! I get about 11 and consider myself lucky.

Your vehicle is a BIG TRUCK, it isn't some nimble little sports car. And why, for the love of God, would you want to lose your ability to use your warranty by using a devise that'll have Ford deny your warranty claim? That chip or programmer with definately do just that. Auto manufacturers are losing $ like crazy and just give them any excuse to deny a warranty claim!!!!!

If you can't afford the gas, sell the truck and buy a gas saver jap import!

Last edited by BPofMD; 08-25-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 PM
spiggy769
Senior User
If your getting 18.5 on the highway ...that is awesome. A Reflash on the CPU probably would not do you any good. Its just the point as I said above. I doubt anyone here in these forums could state that they get above 13 MPG doing 100% City Driving. As I said these are Big Trucks and getting them from 0-whatever speed you want is gonna require quite a bit of fuel...

Hell look on the brightside...I do not know about Anywhere else but here in The Tri-State area of PA, NJ, and DE it looks like Fuel Prices are dropping...They have went down from $3.09 to $2.82 (for 87) in the last 3 weeks.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BPofMD
If you can afford to buy an LT, WHY do need to worry about MPG???? If you want better milage, buy a Honda!

Same as me...I bought a 40 thousand dollar F250 to pull my 30' travel trailer. I sure don't expect to get 15-20 MPG with it!! I get about 11 and consider myself lucky.

Your vehicle is a BIG TRUCK, it isn't some nimble little sports car. And why, for the love of God, would you want to lose your ability to use your warranty by using a devise that'll have Ford deny your warranty claim? That chip or programmer with definately do just that. Auto manufacturers are losing $ like crazy and just give them any excuse to deny a warranty claim!!!!!

If you can't afford the gas, sell the truck and buy a gas saver jap import!
first of all i would rather shoot myself in the head then buy an import car. i will go to my grave or walk around town before i do that. i will not turn my back to the american auto industry or anything else the american worker might make first of all. second of all, you dont need to tell me to get rid of my truck, i will be the judge of that. mybe you didnt think that i might have a bass boat or other trailers might need to pull at sometime. also a tunner, chip, or programmer will not void your warrenty if you remove it from the vehicle before you take it to the dealer. i think my truck is capable of doing atleast 14 MPG if not 15. I had a 2000 F250 with a 5.4 and 4.10 gears get better than this thing.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by spiggy769
If your getting 18.5 on the highway ...that is awesome. A Reflash on the CPU probably would not do you any good. Its just the point as I said above. I doubt anyone here in these forums could state that they get above 13 MPG doing 100% City Driving. As I said these are Big Trucks and getting them from 0-whatever speed you want is gonna require quite a bit of fuel...

Hell look on the brightside...I do not know about Anywhere else but here in The Tri-State area of PA, NJ, and DE it looks like Fuel Prices are dropping...They have went down from $3.09 to $2.82 (for 87) in the last 3 weeks.
gas here where i am is down to $2.47 and i have seen one or two places at $2.45. after the air intake i am thinking about a set of headers. just to open up the exhaust a little more.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
fruth04
Senior User
my 00 f150 get 17-18 consistently 265s with 3.55s on the highway..... i realize u have the 3v.... but it should still be doable

Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Wedgewood Lariat
Junior User
Originally Posted by DeckedoutF150
first of all i would rather shoot myself in the head then buy an import car. i will go to my grave or walk around town before i do that. i will not turn my back to the american auto industry or anything else the american worker might make first of all. second of all, you dont need to tell me to get rid of my truck, i will be the judge of that. mybe you didnt think that i might have a bass boat or other trailers might need to pull at sometime. also a tunner, chip, or programmer will not void your warrenty if you remove it from the vehicle before you take it to the dealer. i think my truck is capable of doing atleast 14 MPG if not 15. I had a 2000 F250 with a 5.4 and 4.10 gears get better than this thing.
Hate to tell you this, but, you WILL lose your warranty. Even if you remove the tuner, the computer will flash codes letting the dealer know that you indeed had tuner in it. Also, forget about the Magnuson Warranty Act. It's total crap. You'll end up going to court and have to pay a lawyer and all that crap to have a 50/50 chance of winning. all that time,money and aggrivation is not worth it.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
Hey Wedgewood..... I don't know where you got your info from but It's not correct. Any person that has delt with tuners before knows that you should always return your truck back to stock and then disconnect the battery to erase all the stored codes in the PCM. As far as tuners automatically voiding your warranty.... The Magnuson Moss act still applies. They have to prove that the tuner (if they can even prove that there was one) was the direct cause of the failure of the component in question. This information comes directly from my dealership. Most of the guys at the dealership have F-150's and most of them have a tuner or performance mods of some type on thiers. I have never had a problem for warranty work and unless I know that they have to hook it up to the computer I usually leave it in there. Even then, the only reason I take it our is to protect the factory program and the tuner program.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
torino_gt
Senior User
I Agree With The Other Guy, If You Can Handle The Payments On An Lt, Then Gas Is Not A Problem...but, I Have A 05 Scab Fx4 W/ 3.55 Rear End. Dual Outlet Flowmaster And An Edge, My Truck Gets 15.5-16 City And Around 20-21 Highway. I Could Not Be More Happy With It. I Only Run Level 2 On The Edge And Alternate Between 87 And 89 Octane. My Truck Really Did A Lot Better After About 5k On It Though

Old 08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Wedgewood Lariat
Junior User
[QUOTE=the4by4freek]Hey Wedgewood..... I don't know where you got your info from but It's not correct.
(All my info is from reliable sources in the business!)

Any person that has delt with tuners before knows that you should always return your truck back to stock and then disconnect the battery to erase all the stored codes in the PCM.
(That is crazy! You cannot erase the fact that you had a tuner in it from disconnecting the battery. This is not 1990! They can even tell if you have over revved your engine. )

As far as tuners automatically voiding your warranty.... The Magnuson Moss act still applies. They have to prove that the tuner (if they can even prove that there was one) was the direct cause of the failure of the component in question.
(Great, get a lawyer and try to win. I think that their pockets are a lot deeper than yours. But you can try.)

This information comes directly from my dealership. Most of the guys at the dealership have F-150's and most of them have a tuner or performance mods of some type on thiers. I have never had a problem for warranty work and unless I know that they have to hook it up to the computer I usually leave it in there. Even then, the only reason I take it our is to protect the factory program and the tuner program.
(Yeah, they work at a dealership. of course they won't have a problem getting it covered. If you know someone there that can help you out than great. You may not have a problem either. But if you don't, be prepared to lose your warranty.)

I am not pulling this info out of a hat. My uncle works for GM, my buddy used to be @ R&D for BMW and it was also covered in a thread about a month ago where a Ford tech wrote in and told the same story that i am telling.

If you want to take a chance, than that is great for you. For me, I will just have to wait until my warranty is up. Besides, IMO, these tuners are not as good as everyone claims. Except maybe the EVO.

Last edited by Wedgewood Lariat; 08-28-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 AM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
I am referring to the EVO and I would'nt be without it. I tow a large Travel trailer and I like to keep an eye on such things as trans temp, oil temp, cylinder head temp, coolant temp, trans output speed. Why tow blind when there are tools out there to protect our trucks and make it do the job that is required a little easier? I had a Hypertech chip in my Expedition and it did great. I have the EVO in my F-150 and I have had the truck into the dealer for warranty work, including a reflash of the PCM. No problems there either! My dealer asked what the pod on the dash was for. Then he asked me if it was for a GPS unit. I told hime what it was and he wanted to know how much and where I got it from. He then went and bought one for his truck. I returned 3 weeks later for the TSB on the brakes and almost every tech had one including the service manager. He told me that they were messing around with them to see if they would show up on the PCM registry after removal. He said that they would show up if the battery was not disconnected but if the battery was disconnected then they ahev no way of tracking it. A tuner does not overwrite a stock PCM program. It completely replaces it and the stock program is stored in the tuner itself. When you return it to stock it re-writes the program from the tuner to the PCM and removes the tuner program entirely! I think you need to do some more research.

Quick Reply: Improving MPG on 2006 Lincoln Mark LT