Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
engine oil analysis

I just received my first oil report and the only issue is the lead was high.
Oil is shell 5 40 sample pulled @ 3500 miles. Most of the mileage was pulling my fifth wheel with a weight of 12K. Burned 155 gallons of WVO and 145 gallons of diesel.

Is anyone else having their engine oil tested?
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Could be turbo bearings going. Any mods to the turbo?
Also, watching for trends is the biggest and best thing about
UOA's. Being your first it's hard to say too much.
Nut

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.

Last edited by PSNut; 08-24-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
Postmaster

Wanted to pass on this good article from Blackstone Labs on bio diesel and engine wear: LINK

Nut

Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Senior User

My lead was 24 and all other metals were with in normal.
Only mods on engine is air intake and heated WVO system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNut
Could be turbo bearings going. Any mods to the turbo?
Also, watching for trends is the biggest and best thing about
UOA's. Being your first it's hard to say too much.
Nut
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 08-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbd
heated WVO system.
Is this an OK system to use on your truck? Not familiar with it.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:17 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
For more info on oil analysis: http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=353
And here: http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com...he+Top+10+Tips

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE

Last edited by fabmandelux; 08-24-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Senior User

Bruce S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile engine oil analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbd
I just received my first oil report and the only issue is the lead was high.
Oil is shell 5 40 sample pulled @ 3500 miles. Most of the mileage was pulling my fifth wheel with a weight of 12K. Burned 155 gallons of WVO and 145 gallons of diesel.

Is anyone else having their engine oil tested?
I just got my report back with a lead high of 10ppm. It is from the bearings. rods/mains.

I tow 10,000 trailer and run straight diesel fuel. I use Rotella 15-40 oil. I change it every 5,000 miles. I called Blackstone and talked to the tech. He said I should change the oil just BEFORE going on a heavy towing trip. NOT after. I will send them a sample after 4,000 miles and see what count is then.

My 2004 E-350 SD van with 6.0 Ford engine has a 100,000 mile warrantee. I would never try to use other crap with the fuel including veggie fuel. Don't want to mess up the warrantee. I get about 12 mpg pulling that load and 15-16mpg around town. I am retired and on a small fixed income. I do not want to have to pay heavy repair bills.

I am thinking about going to synthetic crank case oil. I will talk to Blackstone before trying that.

Bruce

2004 E-350 Super Duty
Standard Van
with 6.0 diesel
LTD slip 3:55 Rear

1996 Ford Ranger
1&1/2 cab long bed
2.3, 5 speed
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Senior User

Bruce,

The Blackstone report said they could not tell where the lead came from.
All other metals were below normal. They said if it was from the bearings there should have been other metals with it.

I hear you on keeping you engine warrantee intact. I know converting and running WVO is a risk. I have about 5,000 miles of running WVO with out any issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S
I just got my report back with a lead high of 10ppm. It is from the bearings. rods/mains.

I tow 10,000 trailer and run straight diesel fuel. I use Rotella 15-40 oil. I change it every 5,000 miles. I called Blackstone and talked to the tech. He said I should change the oil just BEFORE going on a heavy towing trip. NOT after. I will send them a sample after 4,000 miles and see what count is then.

My 2004 E-350 SD van with 6.0 Ford engine has a 100,000 mile warrantee. I would never try to use other crap with the fuel including veggie fuel. Don't want to mess up the warrantee. I get about 12 mpg pulling that load and 15-16mpg around town. I am retired and on a small fixed income. I do not want to have to pay heavy repair bills.

I am thinking about going to synthetic crank case oil. I will talk to Blackstone before trying that.

Bruce

Bryan Will
Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels