Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Stupid = stolen car

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid = stolen car

Oh boy, we were stupid... In a rush last night when we got home, I parked the wife's 03 Lexus RX in the driveway, got the dog out, etc. Somewhere in the confusion I left the keys on the seat or something. (Don't remember hearing the dinger).

Fast forward to 6:00am, the car is gone. Boy do we feel stupid. I guess the false feeling of safety living in "a nice neighborhood" in west Omaha is gone. The police said it will most likely turn up with an empty gas tank. To make matters worse, my wife always leaves her purse in the back. That means calls to a couple credit card companies, new driver's license, etc.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! She only got that car 2 months ago.

I really should have known better.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks Rob. Hope they catch the people that are responsible. Hope everything works out OK.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
mikebon08
Posting Guru

It's easy to do. I've left the keys in my car a couple times, got busy unloading groceries or something and forgot all about them. So far nothing's come of it....we're in a pretty quiet area too, and the car's in the driveway, but I still don't want to make a habit of it.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
I hate hearing about stuff like this. That sucks Rob. Hopefully the car will turn up undamaged. It would be nice if they caught the person/persons that did it, some people just need to be beaten with a bat!! Let us know how it turns out, Rob.

Hey, Chris, welcome back!!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 PM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Thanks Pat.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
My wife is pretty sure she locked the car at around 9:00pm, that would mean the key fell out of my hand or pocket while I was playing with the dog in the driveway.

Man it's frustrating. There were a few transactions on the credit card already, but fortunately, we're not responsible for them. The thief tried 3 or 4 times to get cash advances on the card. There were at least two gas charges. The cc company called a little bit ago and had just denied a $150 charge at a Walgreens in Illinois. Guess they skipped town. We don't know if they skipped with the car or dumped it somewhere and kept the credit card.

My biggest fear is getting the car back trashed and abused, then we're stuck with it. But, it would be great to have the creeps caught.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Our car turned up at the Omaha impound lot a few days ago. It has a 1000 more miles on than before. The interior is pretty trashed, the windshield is broken and there are a few dings and scratches on the outside. The insurance estimates about $3600 in damages. It's pretty frustrating. But, I suppose they can fix everything. My concern is the abuse it took for 1000 miles. I guess we will see how tough Toyotas really are.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:47 AM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Glad to hear that it's back. The whole deal is too bad. It reminds me why I like living in the middle of a corn field where the 12 gauge rules and nothing is seen from the road this time of year.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Glad to hear that you got it back Rob. It was good meeting you. Sorry I couldn't talk longer. Maybe you can count that as an official meeting...

Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
No problem CB, you weren't there to socialize, you had work to do! That is a really great looking truck.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Did you get a chance to meet Jeff (Silver)? I didn't think about it that I should have showed you his trucks. He pulled in the local classes before us.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
No, I was wondering if he was there, but I wasn't sure what truck or class he was in.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
He was in the local classes that pulled before we (NPPA) did (We were just starting when you came over). He had his Silver truck there in the stock classes and the his black one in the modified classes.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Thieves suck. Thats why I have 4 security cameras watching all my toys 24/7. If I had someone swipe my stuff like that Id set the keys on top of the car some night and hide in the bushes with the AK and see if someone thinks they can help themselves.

Last edited by FordTrucksKickGM; 08-08-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
I've thought about adding a security camera. I'd be the guy sent to jail if I discharge a gun in the city limits... only gang-bangers are allowed to shoot in the city.

I've learned that the insurance company does not pay to have the car re-keyed/programmed. Since my key is missing, I suppose the thief could return some night and take the car again. What a joke.

Now for the good news. A detective called last night and said they had a suspect in custody. He didn't tell me much, but said someone picked him from a line up. I suppose it could have been the person who saw the guy abandon the car. We've got a nice paper trail from the credit card, so we've given that to the cops too.

The car is just sitting in the garage now, waiting to get into the shop. The stupid insurance company won't cover a rental until the car goes in for repairs, since technically, it is driveable. Nothing like driving a nearly new car that has a trashed interior and broken windshield. I wonder if the insurance company would cover the ticket I'd get for driving with a broken windshield??? Then, with all the rain, the spare tire well would be full of water since the thief broke out the rubber plugs in the bottom.

Sometimes you just want to slap someone to knock some sense into them! At least I have an excuse to drive the old truck every day. My wife stole my car since she won't drive hers till it's fixed. I think she is going to trade it in as soon as the repairs are done anyway.

Quick Reply: Stupid = stolen car