Looking for info on Indiana rules for towing a new trailer home

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Locoster
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for info on Indiana rules for towing a new trailer home

Hopefully I am soon driving to Indiana to buy a trailer, then on to Michigan to pick up a car. Then a drive home through Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and North Dakota. Anyone know what do I do about a trailer license or permit? They will not issue a plate here in Sask. until the trailer has passed through Canada Customs. Does each state I drive through need separate permits?

Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indiana issues temp plates for cars, but I don't know about trailers. If the car is on the trailer, I'm thinking you shouldn't need one for it.

On a side note, I'm just curious how you'll get from Mich. to Ill. without going through Ind. or Wisc., and from Ill. to Minn. without going through Wisc. That must be some tow vehicle you have!

Jason

Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Locoster
Freshman User
Wink looking for info on Indiana rules for towing trailer home

The trailer is a box trailer, and the car will be inside, but, the car will need some sort of plate or temporary permit for insurance purposes. I can get insurance here in Sask, if they are licensed, but I cannot get the necessary licence here. Same with the trailer, so I need a license or permit for each of them.

I need to know if an Indiana temporary license or transit permit is available, or I will have to find a state that has a temporary license or transit permit and buy a trailer there.

As to states I didn't list, the other guy is driving, while I sleep in the back

(Actually I wrote that late at night with no map handy, and it has been many years since I drove through that territory.)

Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Leader
Elder User
Michigan has a temp plate that you will not need for the car here in the states as long as it is on /in a trailer. I'm sure IL does too.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Locoster
Freshman User
Great news. So I will be able to buy a temporary plate for the car in Michigan, and a temporary plate for the trailer in Indiaa. Here in Saskatchewan the government runs Sask. Gov't Insurance, which sells plates, and the plates come with insurance. I asked SGI if I could buy plates for the car and the trailer I am buying. "No, it has to be in the Province, or at least through Canada Customs."

They will sell me insurance, but no plates. The insurance is no good if the car or trailer has no plates. So, I need plates for both, to make my insurance good.

The car is a 1952 MG TD, and I would not risk hauling it 1400 miles with no insurance. A local garage operator I know was fixing up a Toyota Landcruiser body to replace one that got crashed while being towed home with no insurance. A pretty costly life experience.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
If your buying the trailer from a regestered dealer it will come with a 30 day temp. tag. The tag will cost you nothing in Indiana and is good for any state that you travel to.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, I'm willing to bet you'll get a temp tag when you buy the trailer, unless its from an individual.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Locoster
Freshman User
Thanks. That is the good news I wanted to hear. Is this a usual practice in other states as well? Will I be able to buy a 30 day plate for a car I am buying privately in Michigan?

Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Locoster
Thanks. That is the good news I wanted to hear. Is this a usual practice in other states as well? Will I be able to buy a 30 day plate for a car I am buying privately in Michigan?
I don't know about Michigan but in Indiana you can't get a temp plate from a private party. You would have to go to a dealer for a temp tag .

Old 08-25-2006, 04:43 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
I don't know about Michigan but in Indiana you can't get a temp plate from a private party. You would have to go to a dealer for a temp tag .
I'm pretty sure you can still get temp plates from the BMV with a private sale (for a small fee, of course--it used to be that the "title gets you home"), but I didn't know if they issued one for trailers or not.

Jason

Old 08-26-2006, 04:15 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you dont need a plate on it, its gonna be on a trailer, just make sure whatever insureance you haver on the tow vehicle covers goods being towed