Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Difference in Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Black88GT
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference in Exhaust?

Im looking at maybe getting an exhaust setup for my truck. Is there any major difference in these? I dont see any :shrug: Thanks.

$ 293.
Brand: Summit
Product Line: Summit Aluminized Diesel Exhaust Systems
Exit Quantity: Single
Exit Location: Side
System Material: Steel
System Finish: Aluminized
System Style: Turbo-back
Muffler Included: Yes
Inlet Quantity: Single
Intermediate Pipe Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Tailpipe Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Exhaust System, Turbo-Back, Aluminized Steel, Ford F-250/F-350 Super Duty Pickup, Kit

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Uncork your diesel!
Allow your diesel truck to reach its true power potential with our Summit aluminized steel "turbo-back" exhaust systems. Featuring large diameter tubing, they reduce power-robbing restriction and unleash more horsepower. The systems include a 4 in. down pipe for enhanced pulling power at highway speeds, and use an actual diesel muffler (not a modified gas engine muffler) to resist clogging. Installation hardware is included.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
$ 487.
Bully Dog
Product Line: Bully Dog Rapid Flow Exhaust Systems
Exit Quantity: Single
Exit Location: Rear
System Material: Steel
System Finish: Aluminized
System Style: Turbo-back
Muffler Included: Yes
Inlet Quantity: Single
Intermediate Pipe Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Tailpipe Diameter (in): 4.000 in.
Tip Outlet Size: 4.000 in.
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Exhaust System, Rapid Flow, Turbo-Back, 4 in., Aluminized Steel, Ford, Diesel, Kit

Reduce temperatures, increase horsepower.
Bully Dog's Rapid Flow exhaust systems are a great way to reduce your diesel's exhaust temperatures while increasing horsepower and economy. These systems boast the lowest-degree mandrel bends around, thereby promoting a free flow, resulting in more horsepower and torque. In towing situations, these low-backpressure exhausts lower temperatures by as much as 200 degrees, and provide a 10-20 HP gain, depending on the size of the upgrade and the current horsepower output.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think there is much difference. first off, i dont think Summit knows their way around a diesel engine, i wouldn't buy from them. i think bullydog is WAY overpriced on that.

i would guess fitment issues on those two systems. if you are sure you want a 4" and not a 5" system, check out Mark Romriell. he sells 4" systems too, Uber cheap.

check out this auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-INC...spagenameZWD1V

no muffler!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, you may want to check out the 4" MBRP from DieselSite. I would also suggest adding the exhaust delete pipe, from my experience. I'm not a BD expert, and happen to have a family member that sells it. But I can't imagine what they could do to an exhaust system to make it cost that much.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
knight60626
Senior User
I bought a 4 inch from a guy on Ebay not sure if this is the same guy but the link in one of the posts above me looks very similar in price and all, I can say almost 2 years on it and not a problem at all. the power increase was not as much till I got the super chips tuner and the exhaust definatly made a difference here. The plus is the sound it sounds just great.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Black88GT
Elder User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
i dont think there is much difference. first off, i dont think Summit knows their way around a diesel engine, i wouldn't buy from them. i think bullydog is WAY overpriced on that.

i would guess fitment issues on those two systems. if you are sure you want a 4" and not a 5" system, check out Mark Romriell. he sells 4" systems too, Uber cheap.

check out this auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-INC...spagenameZWD1V

no muffler!!!
What are the pros of going to a 5 inch exhaust? Is it overkill on a basically stock motor? Im assuming the price is more because of the muffler........ Does anyone sell it without a muffler? trying to save a buck or two
Originally Posted by Orezona
Also, you may want to check out the 4" MBRP from DieselSite. I would also suggest adding the exhaust delete pipe, from my experience. I'm not a BD expert, and happen to have a family member that sells it. But I can't imagine what they could do to an exhaust system to make it cost that much.
Thanks, They have pretty nice setups. I like the stainless :drool:

Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
5" is even overkill for modified truck. it is all about overkill.. do you want to make a statement with a 5" sewer pipe under your truck, or do you want to go with 4"? you said that you wanted to save money, so i would go with that auction i posted to you. 4" and muffler delete. once you hear it without a muffler you won't run a muffler, ever.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Also, I haven't actually seen it to compare, but I've been told that after about a year the aluminized and SS will look pretty much the same.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Black88GT
Elder User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
5" is even overkill for modified truck. it is all about overkill.. do you want to make a statement with a 5" sewer pipe under your truck, or do you want to go with 4"? you said that you wanted to save money, so i would go with that auction i posted to you. 4" and muffler delete. once you hear it without a muffler you won't run a muffler, ever.
Would the 5 inch do more harm than good? I know with the Mustang if I were to run 3 inch, Id probably lose power. Is it the same with the diesel, Or not? If its only a looks thing, I might want to think of 5 inch.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
powerstroker27
Senior User
From personal experience there isn't any power lose except for maybe below 1000rpms but unless you have a standard I wouldn't worry any about that. However, not to sway your vote or anything but when you floor it and here that straight piped 5in roar up past 3000rpms you will be glad you spent the extra 75 bucks even if it is just overkill.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by Orezona
Also, I haven't actually seen it to compare, but I've been told that after about a year the aluminized and SS will look pretty much the same.
Yeah? How about after 3 years if you ever venture into anywhere where salt is used on the roads, or is in the atmosphere such as along the Gulf Coast or Florida? I never even considered the aluminized even though I do my best to avoid the above conditions and there is a good chance I am the poorest member of this forum.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
cangim
Postmaster
I would think unless you consistently polish the SS exhaust, it would start to corrode as well.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
Black88GT,

The 1st thing you need to consider is the sound and muffler designs, both of these systms use a hollow core muffler (saves a lot of costs) and it sounds "odd" to lots of folks, plus it actually creates a restriction in the system and the exhaust gasses are bouncing around inside the muffler looking for a way out. I would suggest you look at the MBRP or AFE systems, real mufflers that are packed with high temp ceramic blanket and the price will be between the two you mentioned in your post.

Aluminized is fine for those in the dryer climates of the US, 409 stainless will tarnish and get spots on it but will last and last. It's what the OEM's use for stock exhaust systems and they have to warranty it from the cat forward for 100,000 for the Federal emmissions laws too so you should ge a long life out of it. If you want the best get the 304 stainless, stays shiny and bright and coems with dual wall tip(s) as standard equipment.

4 vs 5 inch, 5 inch isn't necessary till you get to 500 RWHP, even then the benefit is minimal. Lots of folks like the looks and louder sound the 5 inch has, we sell lots of it because of that as well. Of course you can get oen of our 4 ro 6 inch tips to get the "look" of a 5 incher too if you want.

If you have any questions on them let us know.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Dually02
Senior User
I went with the MBRP 409 SS Duals. I love it. There is no done at all.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Black88GT
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
Black88GT,

The 1st thing you need to consider is the sound and muffler designs, both of these systms use a hollow core muffler (saves a lot of costs) and it sounds "odd" to lots of folks, plus it actually creates a restriction in the system and the exhaust gasses are bouncing around inside the muffler looking for a way out. I would suggest you look at the MBRP or AFE systems, real mufflers that are packed with high temp ceramic blanket and the price will be between the two you mentioned in your post.

Aluminized is fine for those in the dryer climates of the US, 409 stainless will tarnish and get spots on it but will last and last. It's what the OEM's use for stock exhaust systems and they have to warranty it from the cat forward for 100,000 for the Federal emmissions laws too so you should ge a long life out of it. If you want the best get the 304 stainless, stays shiny and bright and coems with dual wall tip(s) as standard equipment.

4 vs 5 inch, 5 inch isn't necessary till you get to 500 RWHP, even then the benefit is minimal. Lots of folks like the looks and louder sound the 5 inch has, we sell lots of it because of that as well. Of course you can get oen of our 4 ro 6 inch tips to get the "look" of a 5 incher too if you want.

If you have any questions on them let us know.

Mark @ DPPI
Very good information, Thank you. How much more noise would a 5 inch make over a 4 inch setup? Should I run a muffler? Most ppl say no muffler is best :shrug: Anyone know where I could listen to a few clips online of both sizes, with and without muffers? Again, Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
here is a page of Kwikkordead's signature. these clips are effing amazing. mine sounds a little deeper than that, but you get the point. his exits in front of the rear tire, and i believe he runs NO muffler?

http://home.comcast.net/~kwikkordead/index.html

i just listened to them again because the sssshhhhh sound between gears is pretty awesome.

Quick Reply: Difference in Exhaust?