N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

So WillyB, what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:34 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So WillyB, what's better?

Being a the start of the big runs, or at the end? Has to be awesome to see them (as far as they let you) at speed than at take off.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:05 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Sorry, just noticed your question. Alan may be the better guy to ask as he has been to many of these meets, this was my first and I was glad to be anywhere on the Salt.

There are two main areas - the starting line and the pits, which were located a couple of miles down the track. Almost all the spectators were located in one or the other, or lining the "rail" between the two.

There are two courses laid out next to each other - the short course is 3 miles long, and the long course which is 8 miles long. Actually, there are 5 courses when the meet starts as they have two long courses and three short courses laid out - when one gets rough they move to the other, rather than trying to clean up the surface.

The pits are located at about mile 2 - just after they start timing the run. The cars are at about full speed, and you are still close enough to recognize which car is running.

I spent time in all four positions - the start, the line of campers and tents between the start and the pits, the pits, and along the course after the pits.

The worst was after the pits - the cars were moving too fast and were too far away to be more than dots moving along the horizon. The pits were fun - lots of people to talk to and neat things to look at - but you did not watch the cars run from there.

I spent an afternoon along side the track between the pits and the start. It was restful, and you could listen to the officials on the radio. None of the pictures I took that afternoon came out - again the cars were too far away to see anything. I think long telephoto lenses would work as I could see the cars using my binoculars, but normal cameras are a waste of time.

The start is like the pits - the cars lined up one after another, and the crews were nervous and eager to talk. It was interesting to see the start - some of the push trucks were just as fun to look over as the race cars. You could stand next to them as they launched - - -

I spent most of my time at the start - backed the jeep wagon up to the sideline, raised the deck lid and used it as a shade. That way I had a good radio (they broadcast the meet on AM), an ice chest, and my laptop plugged in. When I saw something special I would walk out onto the track and get photos and my questions answered.

I also had two extra chairs which were popular with the old-timers, listened to many a vintage story and collected several names and addresses.

Attached Images    
Old 08-20-2006, 10:58 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I guess it make sense they don't want anyone nearby as cars are at speed.

Sounds like the pits were a pretty cool place to be, nothing lik ehearing from the guys who run them or ran them in the past.

I rememebr way back in the day when the Dragstrip at Fremont was still there and we had pit passes, this was before NHRA got as big as it is now, the drivers would actually talk to you as well as explain what was going on...this was before the racing started though, then they would rope off the car areas, still pretty neat to see them rebuild an engine in a 1/2 hour.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I will have to hire them to rebuild mine, would love to get it down in half an hour How are they at swapping rear ends? (truck rear ends of course).

Yeah, I know this thread is old, I am bored, and had nothing better to do that revive an old thread.