Bio-diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I have used Crystal Flash from Lowell and have had no problems. Ask for the manager and he can fill you in. But on your 03. i would blend in some #2. In a 20 gallon fill use 15 gal of #2 and 5 gal of the B20. This will get you near the 5%,

Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I Can't resist any longer,
These are real world user observations:
Been using B-100 in 1993 7.3 IDI with aftermarket turbo. This will be the 3rd year, brewing it at home with the Bio-Diesel Solutions 2-tank system (Yep to lazy to build one so I bought it) Nearly 40K miles on B-100 NO Issues at all.
I have noticed a small reduction in fuel economey when running 100% but I dont have a meter on my pump at home so I cannott hand calculate it to be sure.
I did not start running it in the pickup at the 100% level until last summer. I needed to be SURE that it would work in the old IDI B-4 I would risk it in my stroke. IDI lots cheaper to replace that the stroke.
I have had no Issues at all. I am a two filter change a year kind of guy for the fuel filter so that has not been an issue with both units.
At 100% both units run much quieter. Exhaust is much cleaner B-100 has
0% sulfer oil at changes is not near as sooty I detimined this by the way it washes off of my hands. It does not penetrate into the pours of your skin like oil that has been exposed to petro fuel. Have recently sent sampels from both units to Blackstone but have no results back yet.
Now can you imangine the increase in lubricity in using B-100 compaired to the ULSD stuff we get now.........How any service person from Ford/International can claim a ASTM-6751 rated Bio fuel at any % caused a failuer is just insane. Many of you have hit the nail on the head they all are using any excuse to get out of warranty repairs. There is no doubt the 6.0 can be a finickey motor but as Strokin And others have sade Make them PROVE Via M/M that the bio caused the failuer I use this link for a reference @ work makes my local Ford svs managers very nervious:
HFRR Lubricity Test

I have toured 2 of the REG Biodiesel plants Renewable Energy Group – Leading the Biodiesel Industry
in central Iowa and after seeing first hand how commerical B/D is produced I almost can't believe that the stuff I make even burns.

To close at my work (City of Des Moines) we run a (REG BQ 9000 & ASTM 6751 rated) B-5 & 95% #2 petro blend (used no #1 at all) all winter used cold flow improver injected by Magellan when our tanker was filled and we did treat with our own CFI at our tank site when fuel was dumped in out tank to the rate of 1 gallon of CFI to 1000 gallons of fuel tested monthly all winter our cffp (cold filter plug point) stayed at a steady -35F and only jelled up 1 6.0 all winter upon removing primary filter we found lost of water (ICE) in filter, filter had been on truck for a year. We just made the jump to B-20 for summer and may go higher but our contract for B-100 is up in two months and our price will jump a lot. Now i know that is off topic a bit but it goes to my opinion that Commerical Bio-D that meets BG-9000 & ASTM 6751 standards can not cause failuers that the service folks @ dealer ships have been claiming and when we have a injector or pump failuer we never have the fuel discussion with the dealership they just fix it...Not to say they did not try to pull the same bulls%&it many of you have been put through.
If you are wondering why I am so into the bio fuel thing I am the guy that at the CDM that began the Bio diesel usage program and I want to keep my Job!!!! The best way to get replaced here would be to have about 40 snowplow trucks jell up!!!!!!

Feed a farmer, not a shiek Use Bio-D.....

Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
digger52
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Bill , everything you say makes sence to me especially the part about the farmers and *******s. but what I want to know is if I burn B-20 in my 6.0 will I blow a pump or injectors in a matter of time , alot of mixed feelings on this board . It runs great in my old 7.3 but your not talking as many coin if she goes.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digger
6.0s have a rep for eating injectors.
Ford blames BD every chance they get so they dont have to accept the blame.