misfire with shaking need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 PM
deedee23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking misfire with shaking need HELP!

Hi everyone,
I'm brand new and need some serious guidance...We have a 2001 F150 XLT 4x2, with about 80K+ miles on it, w/5.4 engine (i think). Last Thursday as my husband started the truck it began to Shake/shuder? The check engine light came on. As he drove it, or when he was stopped or under 35mph it shakes. Once he goes past 35 it doesn't shake. There was no code when they checked it, just misfire? I hate dealing with this stuff because i'm so clueless when it comes to cars and don't trust these repair shops. Can anyone shed some light???? THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH!!!!

P.S. Please don't ask WHY my husband isn't asking...

Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Two things come to mind. A tranny that needs it's fluid changed (torque converter issue) or a COP (coil over plug) that is starting to go south. If it triggers the check engine light it should throw a code.

Have the plugs been changed?

Old 08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
deedee23
New User
First off, thank you very much for taking the time to respond...Next, no the plungs haven't been changed since we bought the truck (used 2 years ago), and as a matter of fact, I think that's what my husband is doing right this very moment (scary :-X15 )...I guess my next question would be, are either of these major procedures to fix? How much $ wise would I be looking at if we take it to a shop, if that's what it is?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forum deedee

Please let us know how it runs after the plugs have been changed. I'd almost bet that cures it.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
deedee,
If changing the spark plugs doesn't fix it, Go get the Check engine light code read at your local parts store. I get mine read at Autozone because they do it for free and don't give me a hard time about it. I'm willing to bet you have a cylinder misfire, which can be either the spark plugs or your COP (Coil on plugs) system. For help with that, search this forum. A good place to start is with the link below:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ter_F150s.html

But if your husband is already changing the spark plugs, he will basically know how to change out a COP.

To answer your cost question, don't go to a shop because the labor will kill you. Like I said, if your husband can already change the plugs, the COP's will not be a problem for him. The hardest part is determining which one needs to be replaced (if any). To do this, you probably have to have a code reader tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Merton Leeper
Freshman User
I just had the #5 coil pack go bad a couple of months ago. The dealer charged me $231. and had it done in a day. Thought that was a fair price, since I do not have the room/tools in my garage or the inclination to do the work.

Best of luck to you. Mert

Old 08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Mr.Novice
Senior User
Originally Posted by Merton Leeper
I just had the #5 coil pack go bad a couple of months ago. The dealer charged me $231. and had it done in a day. Thought that was a fair price, since I do not have the room/tools in my garage or the inclination to do the work.

Best of luck to you. Mert
Cost me $40 to do it myself and had the coil pack done in 30 minutes.

Just to give some perspective.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
89carlson
New User
Try changing the fuel filter!!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
jjlrrw
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89carlson
Try changing the fuel filter!!
Will a bad fuel filter throw a CEL? I have been struggling with a #8 misfire, Changes plugs and swapped the coils around.

I had a CEL at 39K took it to the dealer and $270 for a new coil, next one at 65K Misfire #1 changed the coil myself $49. plus tax about 10 minutes start to finish. This #8 misfire has got me stumped I don't want to take it in but it getting closer to snowmobile season....

Old 08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a nasty cylinder 7 misfire on our Silverado last winter. Turned out the head gasket was on it's way out. Just a thought.

And no, a fuel filter won't typically throw a code, but you can notice the performance difference.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
deedee23
New User
Thank you EVERYONE for all of your responses. Husband, hasn't finished changing the plugs, he says there are some that he doesn't have the right tool to reach them???? So now it's just a matter of him finding the right tool and time (he works alot). SOOOOO, we don't know anything yet, i'm just afraid by him still driving like that will trigger something else to go wrong or make the situation worse. But of course he doesn't listen to me!!!! Anymore helpfull information would be greatly APPREACIATED!!

Thanks again,
Deedee

Old 08-24-2006, 04:37 PM
gangrene
Junior User
Its not that he doesnt have the right tool......from what I have read, and why i'm on here now, is it takes three different extensions, and three wabbles to get back there to the last two plugs.My memory might be wrong. I'm going to the Zone to get my light read because when I get to a stop it drops a cylinder, or idles bad(450rpm). When the light turns green and I step on it, I get it back. The dealership here in Louisville wants 400 to do it...and theres no guantaree that they will change the last two plugs. Im hoping its a COP and my troubles are solved. Is it worth parking the truck, removing the front wheels and hood and taking a little if the top off? I dont mind taking the intake off, or not so deep Id prefer, and changing a few gaskets. As long as I know that I have 8 new plugs, is it worth the effort?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
89carlson
New User
Hi, To get to all the plugs you must have a 8" extenison with a swivel. You have to remove the fuel rail on the drivers side. Do this when the engine is cool. The fuel rail is held on with two 10mm bolts, remove them and lift straight up. Two things will happen either the fuel injector will let go at the rail, or the head. If it lets go at the rail you must retrive the o'ring this is best done with tweezers reach up into the rail. Slip the o'ring back over the injector and push it back into the rail. Take a small amount of vasoline and put around o'ring that goes into the head (it will make it easier to seat them). Hopefully this will help. This is how I change mine.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
triton54
Tuned
I had a bad plug and cop and it never threw a code or triggered a light i almost promise its a plug, coil or both....give your hubby a kick in the rear and get him on the ball lol hope u get it fixed