Notices

Removing water spots from auto glass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
randylewisbac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenneBF250V10
Anybody out there have any suggestions that acutually work for removing water spots from auto glass? I've researched the topic on the internet and have tried some of these methods but nothing has worked. Things I've tried include Bon Ami, white distilled vinegar and 0000 steel wool. After trying all of these things the spots are still there. Any help/suggestions with proven methods would be appreciated.
ive always used Nu-glass from napa auto parts. like a wax for glass. hard water spots may take a couple of times to remove them but this product is great. used for 15 years

Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Baba Dubu
New User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kearnsboo
This worked for me, "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND". I found it by the Comet at the local Wal-Mart. I mix it with water in a bowl and made a paste out of it. I used a towel and rub it on the wet windshield in a waxing motion. I later sprayed it off and Bada Bing, no spots ! Like others, I have tried vinegar, CLR , scotch bright pads etc.. This took me about 20 min using no more effort than normal waxing.
I would like to thank you for pointing me in this direction. I have had a terrible problem with hard water stains on my automotive glass (5 months ago i moved to an area where the only water available is borehole water). The stains had gotten so bad that i was actually contemplating replacing the front and back windscreens of my vehicle. Which is a big deal here in Kenya and very expensive. Basically it was getting difficult to see outside at night when another car approached either from the front or the back. I had tried everything from vinegar to hydrochloric acid to steel wool and everything in between. Frankly i was not expecting it to work since i had even tried "guaranteed" products like CLR and other expensive cleaners. Bar Keepers Friend is not available in Kenya so i had to buy it off eBay, it took 6 weeks to get to Nairobi but it was well worth the wait. I made a paste of it as you suggested and in 30 minutes i was able to solve a problem that had me stressed for more than four months. I'm ordering a dozen cans to keep on hand! Once again i cannot thank you enough!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
rshiver
New User
Cerama Bryte ceramic cook top cleaner does an excellent job at removing hard water stains from automotive glass. Use with a terry cloth pad on a buffing machine.

Cerama Bryte

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 AM
jaw6958
New User
I have used a couple products from CR Laurence with great success. The one iin particular is very easy to use and you can rinse it off. I will get the exact name and part numbers when the website straightens out. From my experience, it seems like some glass forms a "skin" on it, especially windshields, and water attacks or eats into it and etches the "skin". You can also feel the "skin" because when you wash the windshield, you , or at least I, feel a difference when I wipe from the area where the wipers pass to where they don't pass. The area where they don't pass seems to be grittier or rougher. Just my observation. ut the CRL stuff works great.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Mr. Mustang Charlie
New User
Hard Water Spots

I was recently introduced to Ducky Products 'Water Spot Remover for Glass', they have several water spot removal product depending on the severity, this product is no joke. Did a side-by-side comparison to Mothers and this stuff ran circles around mothers. I was able to get spots off that have been on my glass widows for years. I also started using their Quick Clean & Wax product...awesome stuff.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
spoolen&smoken
Junior User
Works for me

Live with well water as well not sure how hard your water is but I just use a foam window cleaner with newspaper rather than a towel. Perfect every time.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 PM
superseal
Junior User
How about those blue shop towels - ya know...rolls you buy in the six pack.

Are they as bad as paper towels in terms of scratching?

That what I've been using for my new truck glass along with some foamy glass cleaner?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
rockster
New User
Water spots

CLR work great for my wive's car after being parked next to sprinklers in Blyth Ca. terrible water there.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
gt_racer95
New User
I detailed cars in Florida for dealerships for many years. The water where i lived was extemely hard. I've done a few that people left a car near a sprinkler for weeks and the windows looked like shower glass, you couldn't even see through them. I'll tell you how to get it completely off, but you need to use extreme caution as its easy to screw the car up if you are not careful. You need acid wheel cleaner. Professional detailers use this and would prob sell you a bottle. Make sure its diluted, its very strong. You need to get a hard bug sponge, the ones we used were called bug blocks and were yellow. The whole time you are doing this its very important to keep rinsing the car off. Spray the acid on the wet window and scrub with the bug block, again keep rinsing.. also DO NOT put acid on the windshield. Windshields have some kind of coating on them and they will fog up permanently. So rinse, mist acid scrub rinse. Its takes a long time but works. The acid will not hurt your paint unless it gets left on it. I used to acid wash vehicles also.