Modular V10 (6.8l)  

First Post - V10 Owner getting Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
joe2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First Post - V10 Owner getting Whipple

This is my first post. I have 2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 V10 Auto, with Fabtech 5 1/2" lift, 35" BFGs on Weld wheels running 4.30:1 gears. I installed the Banks Stinger Exhaust kit and Transmission module, when the truck had 12Kmiles on it and I am now at 80Kmiles. I just purchased a Whipple Supercharger kit for the truck. I am just waiting for some time off work to get it installed.

I just ordered a 3 gauge pillar mount, and 3 gauges ( Fuel pressure, Boost/Vac, Trans Temp) to be installed with the blower kit.

I do a lot of towing and it is my daily driver. I love the truck and engine combination. I have had no problems with the turck it's entire 80,000 miles.

For a comparison, I did a Pre-supercharger Dyno test on the truck and got 248Hp at the rear wheels @ 4000RPM, (Speed Limiter Kicked in) and 328Ft/lbs of Torque @ 4000RPM.

Once the Supercharger is installed, I will be doing post Dyno tests and will post.

Last edited by joe2000; 08-12-2006 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
sounds great i am looking at doing the whipple or kennebell
cant wait to see your results

Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Joe, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Old 08-18-2006, 07:19 AM
joe2000
New User
I have finally gotten the Whipple kit installed. Took about 10 hours and looks good. I have a few problems I am trying to work out now. I am only getting 2psi of boost and after running the truck for a while, then re-starting it (hot) I get an error code on the Whipple EFI controller for MAF sensor.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
oldkountryboy
Elder User
mine is my daily driver also, the only thing i am concerned with is how bad a supercharger will affect the gas mileage, i know we dont get alot with the v10 anyway

let me know what kind of mileage you are getting when you get it all worked out

Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Since a supercharger is a parasitic power loss, even when just cruising on the highway, expect a slight decrease in MPG's. How much? You tell us!

And WELCOME to FTE, joe2000!!!!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:32 AM
skipperw
Elder User
Get rid of the Speed Limiter! Your gas mileage should not change that much as long as you don't put the pedal half way down, which is when the Whipple will cut in.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
knowitall
New User
A super charger makes the motor more efficient. So it will take less fuel to produce the same results as without the supercharger. Of cource if you have the truck bonned out all of the time you are making more power than ever before and it will use more fuel to make that more power. Normally you get a 3% increase with a supercharger. I am just worried about pushing more air through that little exhaust and heating up the motor from the backpreasure.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
First, WELCOME to FTE!

A supercharger is never going to give you better mileage.

A supercharger pumps more air into the intake. More air = more fuel.

When cruising, not only do you have to move the vehicle through the air (which becomes a problem for the SD ), you have to turn that supercharger. Depending on the type of supercharger, that extra effort to spin the blower can become enough of a load to LOWER mpg's at cruise/highway speeds.

At least, that's the way I look at the situation, and certain people will back that up I think.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
skipperw
Elder User
Originally Posted by krewat
First, WELCOME to FTE!

A supercharger is never going to give you better mileage.

A supercharger pumps more air into the intake. More air = more fuel.

When cruising, not only do you have to move the vehicle through the air (which becomes a problem for the SD ), you have to turn that supercharger. Depending on the type of supercharger, that extra effort to spin the blower can become enough of a load to LOWER mpg's at cruise/highway speeds.

At least, that's the way I look at the situation, and certain people will back that up I think.
There are different types of Superchargers. The Whipple and Kennebell will not burn more gas when cruising at highway speeds. You will not burn more gas until you go into passing gear or floor the gas pedal. My mpg did not decrease after I got the Supercharger if I did not floor the gas pedal. I am not too good at explaining the technical stuff. Maybe this article will help you to understand it. Also, go to the Whipple and Kennebell websites to read why your gas mileage will not decrease unless you floor it.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/superc....htm/printable

Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 PM
4wd
Elder User
Does the s/c use an electric clutch on the drive pulley so that when the boost isn't needed, it acts as just an idler pulley without belt drag. and is engaged by a foot switch? mpg wouldn't change unless you put your right#10 down.

Last edited by 4wd; 08-21-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
No, none of these blowers we're talking about have a clutch.

skipperw, I did say "depending on the type of supercharger".

The difference is negligable, but the extra drag from the blower is going to effect MPGs. Maybe in the 100th's of a mile-per-gallon, but it's there nonetheless.

If your MPGs ever go UP after putting on a blower, I'd look for an unmetered intake leak

Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 PM
skipperw
Elder User
Originally Posted by krewat
No, none of these blowers we're talking about have a clutch.

skipperw, I did say "depending on the type of supercharger".

The difference is negligable, but the extra drag from the blower is going to effect MPGs. Maybe in the 100th's of a mile-per-gallon, but it's there nonetheless.

If your MPGs ever go UP after putting on a blower, I'd look for an unmetered intake leak
Every time I drive, you know I am going to use the Supercharger. That is why I bought it. With all the speed mods I have I averaged about 13.5 mpg. To me, I was really happy getting that. Since I put the bed cover on, I have been averaging 14.3 mpg. Most of the miles are highway driveing.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:42 AM
kenneBF250V10
Elder User
I don't know about other folks that have SC's installed, but I didn't install one to not use it for what it is designed for. If you want to make power you are going to use more fuel, bottom line. My mileage went from bad to worse, but for the 1 to 2 mile loss per gallon the added power more than makes up for that. Folks that haven't noticed a change in mpg are probably not having fun with their vehicle. Depending on how much fun I have will determine how long a tank of gas lasts for me. I bought it to use it and my gas mileage suffered for it but I enjoy the vehicle much more. Never have known anyone to install a SC and get an increase in MPG.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:59 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by kenneBF250V10
Never have known anyone to install a SC and get an increase in MPG.
At least, no one that didn't burn a hole in a piston ...

Quick Reply: First Post - V10 Owner getting Whipple