1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

help please!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i beleive that, i think i might have heard something about that up at school. maybe it was another idea between two other comanpies...hmm...and as far as tuneability goes, if you couldnt do it mechanically how can you attempt to take it to the next level and do it with electronics? all the electronics do is make it user friendly and convenient for entry level techs or your average joe to fiddle with it.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blucollar4xford
all the electronics do is make it user friendly and convenient for entry level techs or your average joe to fiddle with it.
I would have to greatly disagree with ya there! The electronics might make it user friendly (ie more power using a chip) but how do they make it easy for entry level techs and the average joe. Running down eletrical issues on a powerstroke (and others) can be a nightmare. just cause its a injector code doesn't mean it an injector or UVC harness. With one truck i spent over 40 hours on diagnostic while getting IDentifix (which include one of the top powerstroke Techs in the nation) and all our FTE buddies stumped. after 5 hours of $75 an hour diagnostic its was no longer about making money on the truck it was about my pride and the learning experience. Thats not entry level!

mechanicals easy. got a miss swap the injectors with another hole still have a miss send out the IP assuming engine is in good shape. I love my powerstroke and i love to works on them but they are not entry level or shade tree friendly. sorry they just aren't.

i think you need to ask the chip tuners about tuneabilty too. or maybe just ask IH since the medium duty T444E runs about the same HP but much more torque hows that for tunability.

I know all that sounds harsh I am not try to pick any fight or be a jerk I just think you are off on your outlook.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:57 PM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

ok, i understand where u are coming from; point taken...but i am just sayin my bother-in-law got about 100 hp in less than 5 minutes and didnt touch so much as his hood latch...and so can anyone with about $350-$500. guess i should have thought that one out a bit more, or @ least specified what i meant!! sorry y'all.
I still dont agree with the tuneability 100% though. it has to be possible mechanically before u can hook wires to it. there's where my shadetree perspective comes into play, computers are much easier to tune precisely than tryin to "get it close" with a wrench. but you and many others here sound pretty knowledgeable and i respect all of your opinions, and thanks for the input fellas!

Last edited by blucollar4xford; 08-17-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i see where you are coming from on tuneability. the electronics make it easy for the average joe to get more power thats easy with like you said any body with $350 can get more power. i think you would agree with this statement that what really impresses me is when somebody can spend that kind of money get a chip that will increase Hp by 140 or so then do it without making huge clouds of smoke (ie figure out which turbo will get enough air in there) i think there is a time and a place for clouds of smoke like when that rice burner thinks the fast but other than that black smoke is wasted fuel

by the way how is your project coming? any break thrus on injection equipment?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 AM
blucollar4xford
Elder User

not yet...u see, i got this idea in college. i just graduated with an associates degree in diesel technology and im currently unemployed cuz the economy is so awesome....so i have no $$$ to go get a stroke to start this to quite yet but from what i hear the CAT pump and injectors will be just what the doctor ordered. not 100% sure tho. been lookin for 8 cyl. pumps, they are not too common...ESPECIALLY in smaller diesel engines...i wonder if two 4 cyl pumps would work??? i heard it could be done...hmmm

black smoke is not only a waste of fuel, it will slowly cavitate your pistons away b/c it sprays in so much fuel it screws up the atomization (is that a word?) of the fuel. my motto, "Lean is Mean!"

on top of the engine project, i am hoping to aquire (spelling?) a dana 60 front :S, and an 80-86 body to put on my frame, maybe get some "Banks" stickers so ppl will think its a 6.9L with a sidewinder lol. i have a limited slip 70 out of an E-350 i plan on replacing the Sterling with, hopefully stuff it with 4.56's and some 35" Growlers....ahh i need a good job

Last edited by blucollar4xford; 08-18-2006 at 12:25 AM.