Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 PM
New User

Eric123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Expedition Navigation system

Hello,
I'm new to this site, but I've been following it for a while. I'm palnning to buy an '07 expedition, but I was hoping to find someone that has some knowledge of the available nav system - is it a good system and worth the money, or would I be better off skipping the factory installed system, and getting an aftermarket pioneer system installed instead?
Any thoughts?
Thanks a lot.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Internet Brands

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Senior User

nckracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
The navigation system for the '07s is a new one for the Expedition. It will be a DVD based touch screen system. It will also incorporate a 6 disk CD changer. I think the system is currently used on Lincolns, but not sure.

I'm sure there are nav systems just as good for less money out there. I opted to go with the factory system. Because of the 2 year lease, I'll only be paying for a portion of the nav system instead of the whole thing.

I'll give a review in a few weeks, mine is suppose to arrive within a couple of weeks. Dealer ETA is 8/14, so I'm hoping it arrives by the end of Aug.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Junior User

scarface78 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
I would never go with Factory System. Right now I have Pioneer Avic-Z1 in my car. System futures: 7" LCD Touch Screen, DVD, MP3, WaveFiles, Ipod, Voice Control, Bluetooth, 20GB HardDrive ( so your maps are all stored there), Smart Learning Route Ability, and Three Zones so you can have NAVIGATION going, DVD Playing and Radio all at the same time. Also system futures HD Radio and XM. Also I have two extra 7" screen in each headrest so I can Have Navigation on Front Screen, DVD Playing in the second screen and If I hook up game on the Third Screen. All was $1900 Installed.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
New User

Eric123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Scarface,
Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at getting the Avic-Z1, with bluetooth, sirius, and rearview cam, but I was expecting to spend about $3000. Did it really cost you $1900 for all you got, including the two extra screens? If so, where did you go? I'd look into getting it installed there.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric123
Scarface,
Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at getting the Avic-Z1, with bluetooth, sirius, and rearview cam, but I was expecting to spend about $3000. Did it really cost you $1900 for all you got, including the two extra screens? If so, where did you go? I'd look into getting it installed there.
Thanks,
Eric
Two extra Monitors where $700 including install. I bought my AVIC-Z1 on Ebay way cheaper then at Stereo Shop. I did all my installs at MOBILE CONCEPTS Orland Park, Illinois
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Senior User

jscozz is starting off with a positive reputation.
scarface78,

I could never find out whether the Z1 supports digital am/fm... is that an add on or does the base product support that? I am going to have one installed in my new 07 Explorer. I am trying to find a good shop that will not hack up my car.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior User

Mule Ldy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I took delivery of a new '07 F-150 two months ago....absolutely love it. My salesman advised not to order the over priced nav sys suggesting that a portable model could be used in more than one vehicle....for 1/4 th the money. I've seen one that can be disconnected and will actually fit in your pocket for mobile use ! I've never had one....so I'm guessing you would have to pay $$$$ for yearly update discs ? For now, I print out current maps from my computer when we travel....plus take my lap top for free wi-fi.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Ldy
I took delivery of a new '07 F-150 two months ago....absolutely love it. My salesman advised not to order the over priced nav sys suggesting that a portable model could be used in more than one vehicle....for 1/4 th the money. I've seen one that can be disconnected and will actually fit in your pocket for mobile use ! I've never had one....so I'm guessing you would have to pay $$$$ for yearly update discs ? For now, I print out current maps from my computer when we travel....plus take my lap top for free wi-fi.
Yearly UPDATE DISCS for Pioneer Avic Systems is $250 from Pioneer or aprox. $60 for COPIED DISCS from Ebay which work same way as Originals. Also PIONEER just came out with PORTABLE NAVIGATION called AVIC-S1 which has 3.5" TOUCH SCREEN and it works exaclyt same way as HIGH END PIONEER UNITS. Update takes place thru USB PORT ... just connect it to computer and download new maps.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Junior User

SomeDude451 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckracer
The navigation system for the '07s is a new one for the Expedition. It will be a DVD based touch screen system. It will also incorporate a 6 disk CD changer. I think the system is currently used on Lincolns, but not sure.

I'm sure there are nav systems just as good for less money out there. I opted to go with the factory system. Because of the 2 year lease, I'll only be paying for a portion of the nav system instead of the whole thing.

I'll give a review in a few weeks, mine is suppose to arrive within a couple of weeks. Dealer ETA is 8/14, so I'm hoping it arrives by the end of Aug.
Can you please give us a review? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior User

ExpyBob is starting off with a positive reputation.
I for one have and made it a point to order the nav stystem on my 2007 E.L. Limited.

I love it.

It not only has voice operation for the nav system but also audio and media systems as well. You can change sources, radio stations,satellite channels etc. with voice commands. It adjusts backround colors and brightness in accordance with your headlights being on. I also think it would be a lot more desireable to have it part of the car when it comes to getting it stolen. A portable unit is just that, portable and self contained. It will work anywhere. If some gets this thing out it would probably be useless without the rest of the systems connected to it. It even uses the gyros in the car (for the stability control system) to make updates when it losses the GPA signal (parking garages etc)

I got mine for dealer cost since I was ordering it.

The michrophone is in the rear view mirror.

As far as having to buy yearly updates, in North East PA (and most other places ) they don't build new roads too often. (never mind even maintaining them)

Everyone who has ridden with me commented on how they were impressed with the system.

I would definately buy it again since it's integral with the rest of the vehicle and systems above.

Bob
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Junior User

Randy B is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too Bought the factory Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpyBob
I for one have and made it a point to order the nav stystem on my 2007 E.L. Limited.

I love it.

It not only has voice operation for the nav system but also audio and media systems as well. You can change sources, radio stations,satellite channels etc. with voice commands. It adjusts backround colors and brightness in accordance with your headlights being on. I also think it would be a lot more desireable to have it part of the car when it comes to getting it stolen. A portable unit is just that, portable and self contained. It will work anywhere. If some gets this thing out it would probably be useless without the rest of the systems connected to it. It even uses the gyros in the car (for the stability control system) to make updates when it losses the GPA signal (parking garages etc)

As far as having to buy yearly updates, in North East PA (and most other places ) they don't build new roads too often. (never mind even maintaining them)

Everyone who has ridden with me commented on how they were impressed with the system.

I would definately buy it again since it's integral with the rest of the vehicle and systems above.

Bob
I agree with Bob fully, and add that the unit's graphics are way better than previous models. Multi zone, so the DVD player in the back is going, the AM/FM or CD/AUX input is playing upfront and the NAV map with voice control is diplayed. The radio has a lock code for theft, and the unit is made by Pioneer for Ford.

Randy B
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpyBob

I love it.

Bob
If only FORD had that 2 years ago. That's all I had in my aftermaket system PIONEER AVIC-N2 Two years ago. Plus some extra stuff. They will never catch up with Aftermarket systems believe me. I would never ever in 100 years go for Factory Navigation system. Also believe me there is a lot of differences in Yearly updates.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Junior User

sulldog66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have one in my EL Limited. I like it, but it is definitely not the best system available; no bluetooth really grinds me. I think it all depends on how much you will actually use it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Junior User

Randy B is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree wih you on the Bluetooth point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulldog66
I have one in my EL Limited. I like it, but it is definitely not the best system available; no bluetooth really grinds me. I think it all depends on how much you will actually use it.

I fixed this lack of feature by installing a Parrot CK3100LCD. Took me about one hour to install, and now have full feature integration with the stereo muting and handsfree voice commands for dialing and hanging up. Plus with the LCD version, I have caller ID. Well worth the one hour of labor in the garage, and lightyears ahead of the Ford Mobile-ease system.

Randy B
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM