Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

02 HD hard start/won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Hutch77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 HD hard start/won't idle

Hello all. I'm a new guy around here, but been a Ford guy for a long time. What I have is a buddy w/ an 02 HD that wants to play hard-to-start/idle.

Basically what is happening is that when he goes to start it, it'll fire and then almost immediately die. He will have to go through this about 3 or 4 times before he can feather the gas enough to keep her runnin. And even after dropping into gear it sounds as though it may die. He said it started doing this when it was the first start of the am and then once it warmed up it was good to go. Now it's doing it no matter hot or cold.

I'm thinking it's the IAC, and possibly a dirty MAF. Never really messed w/ the supercharged 5.4L before, but it doesn't look overly complicated. Is there a way to see if it's the IAC or MAF, like maybe unplugging it and seeing if it changes anything?

And on that thought, if I have to replace the IAC, where is it located? I've only glanced under the hood of it and at the time was not looking for any part in particular.

Jay