Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM
New User

vellomike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Natural Gas Diesel

Has anyone heard of a Natural gas Diesel aftermarket system like duel fuel?
I'm considering hooking up a cng tank, pump it up to 3000 psi with natural gas, with a regulator to take the pressure down to 8# take it to a 12v solenoid that would come on with the cruse control
and off when the break is touched, then run the 8# to a 1/4" pipe with little holes drilled along it, and mount it in the plenum ,upstream of the intake manifold
I'm intrested in natural gas because I get it free. Has anyone done somthing like this with propane?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Postmaster

mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellomike
Has anyone heard of a Natural gas Diesel aftermarket system like duel fuel?
I'm considering hooking up a cng tank, pump it up to 3000 psi with natural gas, with a regulator to take the pressure down to 8# take it to a 12v solenoid that would come on with the cruse control
and off when the break is touched, then run the 8# to a 1/4" pipe with little holes drilled along it, and mount it in the plenum ,upstream of the intake manifold
I'm intrested in natural gas because I get it free. Has anyone done somthing like this with propane?
Yes, contact Altronic Incorporated in Girard Ohio. They do nat gas dual fuel systems on stationary engines, they have the ratio down to 30% diesel and 70% natural gas with great success. If you get it free, go for it.

Ryan

08 F350 DRW CC LB Lariet White
Stock

06 FLHX Black Cherry
Stock
Old 08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
New User

vellomike is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the info. I sent them a email but no responce, I think I'll just rig a lp system and gradually increase the pressure till it works
Old 08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Senior User

JIMRSX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here in San Antonio, the public diesel busses all run on propane. It is the only city in the state or country to do this. I only know this 'cause my brother is in the propane business.

94 COBRA 331/AFR185'S/XE270HR/BOLT-ON'S GALORE
Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Elder User

Chance_Thomas is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the price difference?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Postmaster

mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.
For Mike, its free, enough of a price difference for me to try it. Natural gas is about $6-7 per MCF. That is 1000 cubic feet. Mike have you heard anything from Altronic yet? I have a number to call that will at least get you someone to talk with. The guys name is David Bell. PM me if you want his phone number.

Ryan

08 F350 DRW CC LB Lariet White
Stock

06 FLHX Black Cherry
Stock
Old 08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Posting Guru

pops_91710 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We switched our entire fleet of diesel trucks over to dual fuel and the performance was dismal at best. Fuel economy dropped to 1 mpg.

Not only that it cost us 1 million dollars to do the conversions and add an LNG re-fueling vessel. Needless to say we bailed out of it as soon as the Bush administration relieved the rules.

Natural gas lacks the BTU's for true diesel power. To travel any distances you must carry huge quantities of LNG. I see city buses that run on CNG, but they are close to a refueling point. I don't think you want CNG just to be able to tool around town a few miles. My opinion is it is not a viable option, yet.

Not only that, try and locate a LNG refueling station. We had to have our LNG brought all the way in from Texas on a huge tanker to refill our huge vessel.

PS- Can an LP tank hold pressure for compressed natural gas? I'd check that legality out first.

Last edited by pops_91710; 08-20-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
73, cng, combo, diesel, dual, economy, f250, ford, fual, fuel, gas, liter, narural, natural, system