General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What is "Profanity"? And why do we have it?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is "Profanity"? And why do we have it?

It seems to me we have "CLEAN" talk, and "UGLY" talk....

What is the standard for all of that?

Most of the "UNACCEPTABLE" words have to do with obvious parts of human bodies that we all know about anyway. Most schools teach us about those parts... (Publicly - it's their job!)

So why as a topic are they unacceptable?

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,626 Likes on 1,118 Posts
From my observations the people I deal with who use profanity in their conversation are the less educated in the group. I can’t recall the last meeting I was in that was mostly people with many acronyms behind their names where there was any profanity. Nor does this same group of people use profanity in their normal conversation. But this is just my observation.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why as a topic are they unacceptable
cause Taboo is cool....(according to society)

more fun to smoke a cohiba here, or in Cuba?
more fun to get smashed when 20 or 50?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jake nailed it. It started out as a kindof 'set of words' that you just don't use that are refined to sailors/etc. No one respects sailors & thier types, so they refrain from talking crudely like them. There are many sexual and violent references. That sort of thing probably drew the 'dirty' line.

Now the kids just do it to be 'badass.'

Ryan

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM
modar
Elder User
saying, "bloody" and "fanny packs"s may get a gasp in England.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by helifixer
From my observations the people I deal with who use profanity in their conversation are the less educated in the group. I can’t recall the last meeting I was in that was mostly people with many acronyms behind their names where there was any profanity. Nor does this same group of people use profanity in their normal conversation. But this is just my observation.
Mostly agree, but you need to go golfing with that PHD or PE when they slice one into the trees....most people have it in them to some degree. Of course, this is just my observation, too.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Profanity helps drive your point home in some cases. For example, when you are tired of telling someone to hush up, or quit talking in a movie theater, STFU!!! always seemed to work better for me.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have extensive experience in the application and even invention of profantiy, and therefore consider myself an expert on the subject. My own research has led me to conclude that profanity exists entirely in the mind of the person who hears it. What is considered appropriate language depends on the setting, and articulate people use appropriate language for the situation.

Is profanity an indication lower intelligence or education? If you study candid moments and private writings of many people who are well educated, eloquent, and/or generally considered intelligent (Winston Churchill, Thomas Edison, many of our american presidents) you may find that many also use/used profanity.

I use different language in the presence of my mother than I do my dad and brothers. I use different language at work in the presence of union members than I use when in the presence of managment members. I have heard people that I never imagined would ever used profanity utter it when properly provoked, and alternately have heard people accomplished in the art of profanity speak eloquently without the use of vulgarities/profanity.

Ready for a funny story?

Once when I was a kid My Dad was lecturing me for uttering a profanity (which I had learned from my him, by the way). The part of the lecture I will always remember went "Your (GD) profanity is going to stop right now!"

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Y'all need to try driving in our traffic for a while- you'll find out what profanity is! Working in a machine shop, a lot of the guys can't complete a sentence without a few f-bombs in it. They don't even think about it anymore. I've trained myself to refrain from ugly language, and I've been pretty successful. What bothers me is when a one-time vulgar expression eases into the public lexicon, and people seem to forget how rude it is (was). The expression 'sucks' is a prime example. I refuse to use that expression since I remember what it's original meaning was. Now I hear women and children using it!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clux
I use different language in the presence of my mother than I do my dad and brothers. I use different language at work in the presence of union members than I use when in the presence of managment members. I have heard people that I never imagined would ever used profanity utter it when properly provoked, and alternately have heard people accomplished in the art of profanity speak eloquently without the use of vulgarities/profanity.
With me it's more a 'frequency of use' issue more than anything.

When my Physician rattles-off that rare 'F' word while commenting on the lack of compitance in a previous diagnosis, I know it must be SERIOUS doo doo.

Conversely, listening to some guy down at the bar use the same word 50 times in a 20 word sentence will make me disinterested in anything he has to say. There is a balance.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDie
No one respects sailors & thier types, so they refrain from talking crudely like them.
Ryan
Hey Bub, watch the Sailor comments!
I don't always curse, especially when I am around ladies and kids, but get me around the squadron spaces, now thats a different story.....hahahaha

Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
ha, I hope you know I wasn't talking about y'all. I meant more like back in the old days with wooden ships, and the guys that shipped for a living.

Ryan

Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
ok, we will let it slide this time, but don't let it happen again..........lol
And remember, in the Navy, its not profane, its just part of our vocabulary, just like bulkhead, galley, and the head. And the F bomb is usually the first word before describing anyone that is a flyer!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> What is the standard for all of that?

When it is used to degenerate the object or subject being spoken about.

As an example, certain base Latin words are not swears and simply mean
to make, until someone decided to make them swear words relating to
recreation.

> So why as a topic are they unacceptable?

Answer not suitable for this forum.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Fordzlla
Elder User
Profanity adds colour to our language.
It certainly has its place.... such as in the men's locker room, at the thursday night poker table, or at the hunt camp.
It can make a boy feel like a man when he's included in one of these places, or it can make a man look childish if he uses profanity in the wrong setting.

Check out Robin William's bit on golfing. THe language is what makes this hillarious
WARNING: COARSE LANGUAGE!
http://www.break.com/index/robin_williams_on_golf.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is "Profanity"? And why do we have it?