1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

AcK! A Squirrel in my engine compartment

Old 08-05-2006, 10:45 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question AcK! A Squirrel in my engine compartment

I opened my hood up and was going to check the oil like I do everyday, and noticed a squirrel sitting near the carb eatting acorns and generally making a mess with the shells, so far I haven'nt noticed any rubber hoses chewed up or wires cut in two but who knows whats next after the acorn lunch is finished....does anybody know how I can keep this critter out? Shooting it while in the engine compartment isn't a first option for me.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Find a Friendly Moose to befriend him and star in their own CARtoons ?

Let's see...what don't squirrels like ? hmmmmm

Old 08-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Polyb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rat trap loaded with peanut butter will probably work I know its cruel but you have to protect your truck. If thats to harsh try a live trap I would think you could get a smaller one at a local hardware store then take rocky for a long drive some where.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
Well... my Pitbulls don't care much for squirrels... you could get one of those, but thats sort of a long term solution to a short term problem, lol. You could always get or make a blowgun and kill the sucker with that. Shoot man, I don't know. You could also make a snare with some 1/2" PVC pipe and some string or something. Put it through so that there is a loop out one end, and the two free ends are out the other end. Then drill a hole at the end where the loop ain't, put one free end of the string through the drilled hole and tie a knot in it so it don't come back through. Then tie the other end around a stick to use as a handle to tighten the snare. Of course, that would only be useful if its a reoccuring problem. If it were me though, I'd prolly just get me a thick pair of leather gloves, and a thick jacket, then grab it, and smash it against the ground. Just beware, the tail fluff pulls out kinda easy, and squirrels are REALLLY flexible. MAN I HATE SQUIRRELS.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Posting Guru
Use a small string and tie a cat to your carburetor.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Ford51
Elder User
Well... you could just wait and see if he even comes back... If he does, then move to more creative solutions, otherwise forget about it.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:05 AM
srercrcr
Postmaster
You could try ground up cayenne pepper. If they get it on their front feet he'll get it in his mouth.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:08 PM
scottddove
Elder User
here is a idea just pull out the engine and put in a big hampster wheel tie it in to the transmission and never have to buy gas again. You will be the first on your block with a one squrill power truck I am envious just thinking about it lol.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
davidsca
Senior User
Ridding an engine compartment of a pesky squirrel in 15 easy steps:

1. Buy a portable dvd player
2. Go on ebay, buy original "secret squirrel" cartoons
3. Place entertainment system in engine compartment and press "repeat play" option
4. While squirrel is distracted by hilarious cartoons, disassemble entire truck, placing a box underneath squirrel
5. Reassemble truck in secure location, very far away, in preparation for following steps
6. In a stealthy manner, place ear muffs on squirrel
7. Procure one (1) 50 megaton thermonuclear device
8. Procure one (1) Sikorsky skycrane helicopter
9. Utilizing helicopter (step 8) strategically place 50 megaton thermonuclear device(step 7) near squirrel. Within a mile should be sufficient.
10. Assuming safe distance, detonate device from step 7
11. After both blast waves have faded, don MOPP 4 protective clothing and check for enemy (squirrel) activity
12. Weather civillian and political fallout by initiating campaign of misdirection and misinformation
13. Deny everything
14. Admit nothing
15. Demand proof

Problem solved. Seriously, the cayenne pepper will work, but I've gone a step further in the past. I've used the dog-away spray you can get at walmart or wherever. Its cayenne pepper but it has a sticking additive. Works on posts that hold bird feeders and the little critters learn after a while
DS

Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
locknkey
Posting Guru
Now I said...shooting isn't an option.....the pepper idea seems like it might work, although I might not turn on the air conditioner as it might make me stay away too. I need more idea's as most of you haven't had a squirrel sitting on your intake eating a morsel of acorns....mebie its a sign of a cold snowly winter approaching this year and I should take note to get my winterizations done soon....

Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Introduce another squirrel of the opposite sex to the one under the hood then ...Place a sign near them saying "Get a Room".

They'll be too busy to care about acorns with other nuts about

Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 PM
emgee
Tuned
Try a rag soaked in ammonia and/or a couple of old socks filled with mothballs placed under the engine bay.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Cyanne pepper is good. You can also go to the hunting shop and get fox or wolf urine.

Don't hurt the little critter if you can help it. You can also try a live catch trap and once caught, take him far far away... and let him go near a chevy truck...

David

Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM
duffman77
Elder User
Take you truck to the carwash (wandwash), a nice highpressure hot bath should get him moving

Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 AM
tommythomasson
Junior User
It's just my personality, but I just had to bring some of the hilights back from the dead. They were just too funny...

Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Find a Friendly Moose to befriend him and star in their own CARtoons ?
Originally Posted by RotGrubestier44
...If it were me though, I'd prolly just get me a thick pair of leather gloves, and a thick jacket, then grab it, and smash it against the ground. Just beware, the tail fluff pulls out kinda easy, and squirrels are REALLLY flexible. MAN I HATE SQUIRRELS.
Originally Posted by 460
Use a small string and tie a cat to your carburetor.
Originally Posted by scottddove
here is a idea just pull out the engine and put in a big hampster wheel tie it in to the transmission and never have to buy gas again. You will be the first on your block with a one squrill power truck I am envious just thinking about it lol.
Originally Posted by davidsca
Ridding an engine compartment of a pesky squirrel in 15 easy steps:

1. Buy a portable dvd player

2. Go on ebay, buy original "secret squirrel" cartoons

3. Place entertainment system in engine compartment and press "repeat play" option

4. While squirrel is distracted by hilarious cartoons, disassemble entire truck, placing a box underneath squirrel

5. Reassemble truck in secure location, very far away, in preparation for following steps

6. In a stealthy manner, place ear muffs on squirrel

7. Procure one (1) 50 megaton thermonuclear device

8. Procure one (1) Sikorsky skycrane helicopter

9. Utilizing helicopter (step 8) strategically place 50 megaton thermonuclear device(step 7) near squirrel. Within a mile should be sufficient.

10. Assuming safe distance, detonate device from step 7

11. After both blast waves have faded, don MOPP 4 protective clothing and check for enemy (squirrel) activity

12. Weather civillian and political fallout by initiating campaign of misdirection and misinformation

13. Deny everything

14. Admit nothing

15. Demand proof...

Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Introduce another squirrel of the opposite sex to the one under the hood then ...Place a sign near them saying "Get a Room".

They'll be too busy to care about acorns with other nuts about
Originally Posted by f100beatertruck

...You can also try a live catch trap and once caught, take him far far away... and let him go near a chevy truck...

David

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AcK! A Squirrel in my engine compartment