Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Elder User

whitesdford is starting off with a positive reputation.
pressure washed the engine, now it wont start

Okay, need a little help here. Pressure washed the engine all off today, didnt get to crazy, or anything, but, now it wont fire at all. Pulled the icp sensor plug, blew it out, pulled the other sensor my edge plugs into, blew that out, didnt help. The only one I havent played with is the cps plug. Think thats it? Heck it wont even fire now. I have the hood up and letting her sit all night, hope that cures it. Checked and no water in the intake, i give up on where to look, help!

Thanks!!
Aric, PAA member #95
Berthoud, CO

2001 CC 4X4, Auto, LB Dually, Stage 1 Single's, DP Tuner, HPX, Terminator HPOP, RiffRaff OCR, hutch, harpoon, coolant filter, external transmission filter, Ride Rite air bags, Tru-Cool cooler, AFE Stage 2 intake, 4" exhaust, regulated fuel return, stancor gpr
Old 08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Post Fiend

Smokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant future
Check out this thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=509710

I've decided that after all of the problems various people have had after washing their motors, mine is never getting washed EVER AGAIN.
Lisa Not so Early '99 PSD long bed XLT supercab. 4" Pro Comp suspension lift, 315 BFG AT's on 17" Liquid Metal Gatlins, Casserly Stage 1 injectors, Terminator T-500 HPOP, BTS VB, Cale's tunes, 203* thermostat and billet housing, 6637 w/Pete's cover, CCV, Riffraff oil and fuel crossover, late turbo conversion - international bellowed up pipes, 4" turbo back exhaust, EBPV delete, Harley Davidson headlights, 08 mirrors. 200k club member.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Elder User

ill try looking at fuses in the morning, hope it dries out tonight, ugh!! no more washing this thing.
Aric, PAA member #95
Berthoud, CO

2001 CC 4X4, Auto, LB Dually, Stage 1 Single's, DP Tuner, HPX, Terminator HPOP, RiffRaff OCR, hutch, harpoon, coolant filter, external transmission filter, Ride Rite air bags, Tru-Cool cooler, AFE Stage 2 intake, 4" exhaust, regulated fuel return, stancor gpr
Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Okay, need a little help here. Pressure washed the engine all off today, didnt get to crazy, or anything, but, now it wont fire at all. Pulled the icp sensor plug, blew it out, pulled the other sensor my edge plugs into, blew that out, didnt help. The only one I havent played with is the cps plug. Think thats it? Heck it wont even fire now. I have the hood up and letting her sit all night, hope that cures it. Checked and no water in the intake, i give up on where to look, help!

Thanks!!
My vote wold be CPS,IDM,IPR or the electric harness's in the engine bay. Dowsing the wiring with isopropy alcohol will help dry out water
in hard to dry places.
good luck!
Nut

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Elder User

okay, used the compressor to blow out all the electrical connections, the cps, ipr, etc etc. Put propy alcohol on everything and letting stuff dry out. Went out and tried to start, and nada, just cranks over. Popped the fuse box in the engine compartment, and they are all good, except the 30 amp that powers the trailer battery charge.

Any ideas anyone?
Aric, PAA member #95
Berthoud, CO

Old 08-06-2006, 08:32 AM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Does the tach register? Maybe you fried the cam sensor.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 08-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
i just found out if you want to power wash your moter to use cold water.moter can be warm to the touch. you dont want to create steam as steam is the biggest problem with sensers. steam gets into tight spots very easly compared to water and it creates problems.. i used plastic bags to cover alt. and the fuse box on fender well.. i power washed under the hood as soon as i was done started truck and drove it for a few miles to dry it off..had no troubles.. just thought id add my thoughts as most of you probly already new this..

Ron
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 08-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Post Fiend

150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.150ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So why power wash your motor unless your in a mud bog or theres a oil lealk an dust an the engine is real dirty. CPS sensor could be the culprit though. I have yet to use a powerwasher on my truck an have not ever had to put a CPS sensor in yet knock on wood. Power washing is nice but the pressure those thing put out can do alot off damage to electronic stuff.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Junior User

NChornet is starting off with a positive reputation.
I always keep my engine clean and shined up, just **** thing I guess, but I like popping the hood and seeing a nice clean engine. Also makes troubleshooting leaks easier. Your first problem was using a pressure washer, you shouldn't need more than a hose with nozzle on the end, soak the engine with simple green or the purple stuff. I don't use the degreasers because they will stink for a week or so. Cover the alt. and PS resivour cover. I do it twice a year in warm weather, clean it in the morning and leave the hood open all day to dry out.
Chances are if you tried to start it and a connection was wet you probably already fried it. If water is in the connection it could take a week or so to dry out. I would take each one apart hiut it with some air, apply dielectric grease and reconnect and then try to start. If this don't work you have fried something.
2000 F350 4X4 Auto,Crew Cab Lariat, Western Hauler Package, LB,Isspro EV Gauges,Homemade CCV MOD, FTVB ,Ford AIS,Coolant filter, BTM, 6.0 cooler, Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots/Hawks SD Pads. Turbo Lifesaver
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Family of four saved by Grace!!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Elder User

okay found the problem, thanks to those that responded. It turned out to not be a wet sensor at all. The sensor at the bottom of the hpop, i believe this is the ipr, has a gold cover and the wires hook up to that. My gold cover thing has the ability to move (somethings missing here) and the pressure washer rotated that twoards the passenger side. The gold cover and wires can slide off the back of the ipr rod, and threads are showing. Can someone send me a picture of what is supposed to be holding the sensor from sliding? This may explain the weird roughness of my engine from time to time over the last month also, ugh!
Aric, PAA member #95
Berthoud, CO

Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Some good info in this LINK on working on IPR's and building a special tool to remove. Don't know if it answers your exact question.

Nut

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 PM